Do You Love One Breed But Not Love A Similar Breed?

Simply Grand

I've had Tervs and Mals but wouldn't touch a Groen with a barge pole.

Can I ask why? Honestly just really curious, that is all :)

My reason for not liking the other three types [though I have only ever owned a Groen] is that they have too much of a GSD coat appearance and I LOVE black dogs.

I am also not keen on German Short Hair Pointers. English Pointers all the way.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started off saying that, while I love Tibbies, I don't love the breed that they often get confused with... Pekes. But as soon as I started typing I KNEW... sneak in here one night & pop in a Peke among the Tibbies, and by morning I'd love it to pieces. I confess when a DOLer once posted a pic of her little tribe of Pekes... I kept that pic! I'm a failure at this topic. My first sentence is a lie:) :)

Yes, I am a Saluki nut but life would be weird without an Afghan in the house. They are dudes, even if they are the second best dog in the world ;-)

I'm the other way around! When I was shown pics of the Salukis at the Saluki Centre in Abu Dhabi, I fell for them big time ... the pups are gorgeous! But Afghans don't grab me the same way. I just love the Saluki's elegant functional lines... & the eyes and the head with that little bit of pretty fringing. I could easily become a Saluki nut .... if the lifestyle matched. :)

http://visitabudhabi.ae/en/what.to.see/culture.and.heritage/saluki.centre.aspx

I'm the other way around. I've had LOTS to do with Aussies as well, but there is no way I would ever live with one. I'm happy to show them and hand them back to their owners laugh.gif

For me personally, I find the Border Collie far more respectful of personal space, and are more sensible.

Ahh yes I think you've pointed out a main difference well!

I like my dogs a bit idiotic at times and overly cuddly laugh.gif

Take my Lab pup. He fits your criteria nicely. He got a pot plant container stuck on his head and isn't even fussed. He's just stumbling around happily, blind as a bat, smashing into things.

I think I'll take it off now.

rofl1.gif

My last dog was a lab and I loved doofy those parts about him, probably why I went for an Aussie for my first working breed biggrin.gif

See I'm the other way round, you couldn't pay me to own a lab, I don't care much for owning one at all, despite having met some I just loved!

I'd have a golden one day, though Gus the flat coat doesn't need to know that. :)

I am addicted to Koolies - I love the fact that they are so loyal, like a cuddle, have an off switch, are always ready to do what you want whether it is high energy or loafing around, and I love their intelligence. I like the long coats better than the short although I have one of each. I might consider a border collie but never a Kelpie or an Australian Shepherd.

Golden retrievers yes but never a lab. Prefer the look of the long coat, and don't like the stockiness of labs. The personality of those I've met just doesn't appeal to me the same way either.

Could do a flat coat, or maybe an Aussie if I ever got something different.

See I'm the other way round, you couldn't pay me to own a lab, I don't care much for owning one at all, despite having met some I just loved!

I'd have a golden one day, though Gus the flat coat doesn't need to know that. :)

In behavioral terms, flatties are closer to Labs than goldies, or so a leading study of breed temperament shows. In particular, goldies are more timid, less playful, less curious.

I haven't known any flatties well, but after studying this article, I decided they were a breed worth considering. Seem to have all the things I value in Labs, but more-so.

post-8994-0-80707400-1414952420_thumb.jpg

Have an Aussie but would never get a BC. I have a kelpie and love her to bits but will probably not get another (I think I like the dog more than the breed if that makes sense).

Love greys and whippets and a borzoi is my one day breed. Would never choose an afghan or an IG.