I Want A Dog Food Like Advance Active Dry

OSoSwift

Artemis Osopure have a Bison grain free, however it's not the protein/fat percentages you are looking for and on taste test, it wasn't that popular here. :p

I am feeding Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch at the moment. I bought it as there wasn't any of the Ocean Fusion at one point and now the dogs are a bit hooked on it! :D

Was just about to mention the Earthborn. I feed it here, 32% protein, 18% crude fat, 4% crude finer, 7.5% crude ash, 10% moisture, 1.3% calcium, 1% phosphorus.

It's also single protein too, only fish meal.

Edited by LisaCC

When a dog food is labelled "active" it just means it's higher protein (and possibly higher in fat). Chicken is a great protein source and cheap too, which is why it's so common.

Higher protein foods are Canidae, Holistic Select, TOTW, Artemis, Ivory Coat (keeps popping up), Earthborn Holistic (GF), and your more expensive offerings from ZiwiPeak and Sunday Pets which are high protein dried/baked.

From those you're probably looking at Canidae (great company), Ivory Coat, Earthborn Grain Free... all have high protein recipes without chicken.

When a dog food is labelled "active" it just means it's higher protein (and possibly higher in fat). Chicken is a great protein source and cheap too, which is why it's so common.

Higher protein foods are Canidae, Holistic Select, TOTW, Artemis, Ivory Coat (keeps popping up), Earthborn Holistic (GF), and your more expensive offerings from ZiwiPeak and Sunday Pets which are high protein dried/baked.

From those you're probably looking at Canidae (great company), Ivory Coat, Earthborn Grain Free... all have high protein recipes without chicken.

Thank you - yes Ivory Coat is looking interesting for sure :)

Active foods are high calorie foods. Most brands either have a variety that is specifically designed for more active dogs (performance/working/active are usually the way they are marketed). Sometimes, as with Canidae, there are some varieties which fall into this category without being branded that way.

Look for the higher kilo-calorie varieties, at least around the 3700 plus mark for the benefits of an "active" formula.

Foods that mights suit, that do not contain chicken (including fat) and other poultry include:

Canidae Sea - only fish, no other animal proteins: 3880 k/c

Canidae Land - bison and lamb, no other animal proteins: 3720 k/c

Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch - same as above: 3725 k/c

Although Ivory Coat is higher protein, it does contain chicken fat and does not have the higher calorie count.

The Artemis Grain Free lines are around 3,500 k/c so not really a high energy option.

Just keep an eye on that kilo/calorie number as well as the minor ingredients. Although Canidae/Earthborn/HS etc do have suitable foods, they also have other options more suited to dogs with lower energy needs.

Sags

:)

Edited to add that Advance Active is 4000 k/c. I have seen a number of people with high performance dogs move from it to Canidae Sea and not lose condition (if anything, the availability of higher quality protein sources seemed to increase the muscle tone) without increasing quantity.

Also, consider puppy foods and ask for samples. :-)

Edited by Sagittarian

my boy was on canidae sea for awhile - he put condition on whilst he was on it... did have some gas issues though! The problem I had was the supply was so iffy my from local pet shop. I got sick of the supply issues and put him back onto z/d which he does seem to digest the best as he only needs 2 cups a day versus the 6 cups he used to get to maintain weight!

Why not increase the protein of a kibble that you are otherwise happy with by serving it together with roo or fish? Increases the palatability too and you will not need huge fridge or freezer space as the feed is mostly dry kibble.

One of our dogs is on the Wellness Core Ocean Formula as she can get a bit itchy on other foods. We had her on it while she was being biked almost daily to get fit for a show and even with just a couple cups plus some additional meat (kangaroo/salmon), she was keeping her condition nicely.

We've had no issues with any of the Wellness dog foods (our other two are on the Original formula) and even our hard-keeper who has a terrible coat is doing great on it.

Why not increase the protein of a kibble that you are otherwise happy with by serving it together with roo or fish? Increases the palatability too and you will not need huge fridge or freezer space as the feed is mostly dry kibble.

Yes that is a consideration. They do get raw bones. Unfortunately our roo supply is now through our local Woolworths and they don't like Red roo from up north and sometimes the Grey roo you get they turn their nose up at and it is very strong. I wish our pet meat place had not shut down :(

I can get some fish but hate the stuff, the smell makes me gag. I could incorporate more raw meat, I am not really happy with the otehr food they were on, so would find something else anyway.

One of our dogs is on the Wellness Core Ocean Formula as she can get a bit itchy on other foods. We had her on it while she was being biked almost daily to get fit for a show and even with just a couple cups plus some additional meat (kangaroo/salmon), she was keeping her condition nicely.

We've had no issues with any of the Wellness dog foods (our other two are on the Original formula) and even our hard-keeper who has a terrible coat is doing great on it.

Yes supply where I am can be an issue also. We get everything freighted from Perth

Edited by OSoSwift

Yes supply where I am can be an issue also. We get everything freighted from Perth

How rural are you? What are Esperance and Albany like for sourcing pet food? Is it just your average supermarket brands?

How costly is it getting stuff freighted from Perth? I imagine you buy in bulk?

How rural are you? What are Esperance and Albany like for sourcing pet food? Is it just your average supermarket brands?

How costly is it getting stuff freighted from Perth? I imagine you buy in bulk?

Esperance - where I ma has Woolworths, IGA and farm supplly stores and a horse feed store. One now sells Advance. We have a vet hospital that carry's advance and will order in other things and also a Pet shop that carry's Science diet and BARF Patties.

I buy my dog food in my the pallet load.

Albany has a larger range but getting freight from Albany to Perth is actually a little tricker than you would think. IT all goes via Perth.

Well that must make life tricky

It can be a challenge and I do have a little chuckle to myself when people complain they have to pay freight on an item(usuallyt hose who live in a major city) and I think gawd I would like to be able to pay that little for any freight! Currently the freight on my pallets of around 700 kgs are around $300 which is a very good price. Freight on smaller items from people other than my usual wholesalers can be very expensive. Of course my cats only do well on a food that my wholesaler doesn't carry! A 10kg bag costs me around $15 freight.