Cool Coats That Don't Require Water?

kelpiecuddles

Just wondering if anyone can advise if there is such a thing as a cool coat that I don't have to continually rewet? Looking to do some bushwalking with my dogs but I will have to carry drinking water for us and would rather not have to carry water just for a coat too. We don't usually go out on really hot days but having a black back Josie heats up in the sun pretty quick.

Have a look at Clean Run.

I have Chilly Buddies for my dogs and love them - generally use them wet but will use them dry if it's not quite warm enough but they have to stand in the sun waiting to go in the agility ring. There's another brand (Seratoga?) but I don't know what they are like. Oh and wait and see if they do free shipping for Christmas :D

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2909&ParentCat=256

Edited by The Spotted Devil

:thumbsup: I was thinking of making a thread similar, Didi is completely black and after a minute in the sun she is cooking adding in the fact she has such a large surface area, we pretty much only take her out morning and night now so I think one of these will be a good investment!

This is a great idea, my girl is a GSD and I've already noticed how hot her back is getting in the sun (and we're only in Tassie, poor little love). Thanks for the tip about clean run shipping as well TSD, I've been wanting to order a harness so will keep waiting :)

The coats that I've found retain their moisture longest are the Cool Runners - they claim 3.5 to 5.5 hours of moisture retention, and I'd say that's about right. They're comfortable for the dogs to wear - but I've only used them at trials - not in a hiking situation. You'd probably be better off going for maximum reflection with Chilly Buddy ( I have, but rarely use) or Silver Shade look really good too.

Every year I consider these for Jenna (GR x Samoyed ). A question for thioe that use them. Do you only use them outside. Jenna is free to come in and out as she pleases. Mostly in on hot days. Would these cost be effective inside too. I'm guessing the reflective ones would be a waste but maybe the Cool Runners?

I've also read that once they get up to a dogs body temperature they will start to have an opposite effect and actually make the dog heat up. How do you know if this has happened? Ho often do you re-wet the coats?

I mostly have them at trials where I vary how I use them - either dry or damp or dripping wet whilst pouring water over the dogs - I want the dogs to hit the ring in peak condition. The chilly buddies are very, very light (especially compared with Cool Champions) which makes a huge difference. I know some people with coated dogs who swear by the CC but i find they can get too cold OR humid. I use it at home (damp) indoors on stinking hot days or overnight when I can't sleep because of Em's panting!

I have Hurtta Cooling Coat for the Samoyeds and I love it. Stays cool for hours and has a cooling chest piece which I've never seen on the others. However you do have to wet them.

Edited by Bjelkier

Can anyone recommend the best sort for a giant breed? Or any that come large enough for a Saint Bernard? I haven't looked into them much but a lot of other products that come in "XXXL" or "Giant" wouldn't even go close to fitting an adult Saint. Thanks :)

Edited by cassie

Can anyone recommend the best sort for a giant breed? Or any that come large enough for a Saint Bernard? I haven't looked into them much but a lot of other products that come in "XXXL" or "Giant" wouldn't even go close to fitting an adult Saint. Thanks :)

I can't but try emailing customer service at Clean Run - they are really great :)

I have Hurtta Cooling Coat for the Samoyeds and I love it. Stays cool for hours and has a cooling chest piece which I've never seen on the others. However you do have to wet them.

They look great, I am a fan of Hurtta gear, the quality is always awesome - think I might be doing an order :thumbsup:

They look great, I am a fan of Hurtta gear, the quality is always awesome - think I might be doing an order :thumbsup:

It really is and I have to say these are the best cool coats the dogs have ever had. I splurged while I was in Finland as they were so cheap there! Now I'm wishing I'd bought more lol

Edited by Bjelkier