Cool Coats That Don't Require Water?

kelpiecuddles

Depends on the dog and the purpose of the coat - having a dog with exercise induced collapse which is helped by a cool coat I have tried 6 or so different varieties. My go to coat if we are out walking/training etc would be the cool runner. The saratoga was the one that dried the quickest and the least effective. The techkewl coats are good if you have a larger dog but not so great for wearing out all day.

One thing to watch with coats if you want the dog to be active while wearing them is that they don't impede range of motion or movement. A lot do in my opinion which is fine when the dogs are walking/sitting in a crate at a show or trial but not if the dog is expected to be active while wearing them. I have tried a hurtta vest and didn't think the fit was particularly brilliant.

I have both the chillybuddy and hurrta cooling coat.

I cant use the hurrta one while hiking as for me it always dries out and needs to be wet. However, in a trial situation i find it great :thumbsup:

The chillybuddy seems to stay cooler for longer when hiking because of the reflective nature of it.

The cool runners lookgood, may have to give them a go :)

For anyone interested Crazysales has the Hurrta ones for sale but only in two sizes.

I'm tempted to try one, but the material looks quite thick. We go hiking a fair bit so I might prefer something a bit lighter and doesn't have to be wet all the time - though they would be great for trialling I might get one if we trialled more often in summer. :laugh:

Will the chillybuddies get too hot if used dry? Holding out for Clean Run to have their Chrissy free shipping please!!!

I have a Techkewl vest for my GSD and its AWESOME. http://www.k9pro.com.au/techkewl-phase-change-dog-cooler-vest.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Highly recommend! You freeze the inside and it lasts for ages.

I tried to buy one of these for my Belgian Shepherd but she was between sizes & neither size fitted properly. They also seem to be quite heavy, not really suited to long hiking which was what I wanted it for.

just wondering for the more tight fitting cool coats that are used wet like the Hurtta one, do they cause chafing on short coated dogs?

I like the look of the techkewl ones (and that they have room for velcro patches) but probably a bit expensive for the amount I'd use it.

I saw cool mats at Aldi today for $14.99. It made me think of this thread. Apparently it is activated by pressure. I felt one and it did feel quite cool.

I know it isn't a coat but thought it might be relevant to the people in this topic.

• 2 weeks later...

A group of us are going to order some for our greyhounds - thinking of the chillybuddy ones.

Has anyone bought these? They look similar but don't have the cotton mesh lining.

My link

oops just realised already on here - sowwy

Edited by anniek