Help Me Pick My Next Breed

Agree re shelties - some great ones around, some nervy ones, and yes some downright lazy/switch off ones (training vs temperament? who knows!).... Most of the competitive ones are still "soft" in regard to training however (very responsive, easily corrected) so if that is not what you are into then perhaps not a sheltie :)

All the shelties I have met at agility trials have been very vocal :laugh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Who can resist a Spaniel face eh!

She was actually quite determined to bring it inside (mess!) so I stood at the door until she put it on the ground (old puppy lesson). As soon as I opened the door she grabbed it and made a dash inside :laugh: Then we did some training and she was content.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Viszla. I have a friend with a bunch of them and they're great. Large enough to be there but light enough to be portable. Trained correctly they have an off switch and I think they're a nice balance between being focussed and keen but not very annoying.

Viszla. I have a friend with a bunch of them and they're great. Large enough to be there but light enough to be portable. Trained correctly they have an off switch and I think they're a nice balance between being focussed and keen but not very annoying.

Vizslas are lovely and there are quite a few doing well in agility, but they are generally a 600 height dog :)

Can't really go past a border collie or mini poodle! Can get smooth coat border collies if the fluff bothers you.

I want Elsie too!

Em is beautiful , and I've seen her fly over those jumps. I'm envious of the relationship that you have with her TSD.

This gives me a lot to think about. I like some BC 's, but there is sooo much variation out there and I've seen a few reactive "sporting" ones. I just don't have the nerves to have another reactive dog. The ones I like I really like though, so we'll see (for those in Vic I love Katie's Plug).

I also lurve W/L mals. I don't think the bigger ones are ideal for agility, but there are done super agile ones out there (dog crush on Wiz too). I don't think I have the skill for one though.

Can't really go past a border collie or mini poodle! Can get smooth coat border collies if the fluff bothers you.

I want Elsie too!

Em is beautiful , and I've seen her fly over those jumps. I'm envious of the relationship that you have with her TSD.

This gives me a lot to think about. I like some BC 's, but there is sooo much variation out there and I've seen a few reactive "sporting" ones. I just don't have the nerves to have another reactive dog. The ones I like I really like though, so we'll see (for those in Vic I love Katie's Plug).

I also lurve W/L mals. I don't think the bigger ones are ideal for agility, but there are done super agile ones out there (dog crush on Wiz too). I don't think I have the skill for one though.

Yeah if I was going to get a working line Malinois I would get a female and cross fingers it is on the smaller side :laugh: There is a lady with a young show line Malinois (who also has Turverens) and her Mal is only as big as Kaos (57cm, so a 600 but not huge), which would be manageable.

Yeah if I was going to get a working line Malinois I would get a female and cross fingers it is on the smaller side :laugh: There is a lady with a young show line Malinois (who also has Turverens) and her Mal is only as big as Kaos (57cm, so a 600 but not huge), which would be manageable.

Some of the show line Mals are smaller than the WL. Wiz isn't small (she is about 30kg) but one of her female pups is slightly shorter and I don't know if she will grow to quite the same height.

Wiz has a great off switch too but she is a LOT of dog. IMO Mals are the ultimate sport/working/competition dog, but they realistically have more drive than most ANKC competitors really need. Wiz would have significantly more drive than any BC (for example) I've ever met, but a good BC has more than enough drive to get the job done and be competitive and the temperament is probably more suitable for the average ANKC competitor.

Some of the show line Mals are smaller than the WL. Wiz isn't small (she is about 30kg) but one of her female pups is slightly shorter and I don't know if she will grow to quite the same height.

Wiz has a great off switch too but she is a LOT of dog. IMO Mals are the ultimate sport/working/competition dog, but they realistically have more drive than most ANKC competitors really need. Wiz would have significantly more drive than any BC (for example) I've ever met, but a good BC has more than enough drive to get the job done and be competitive and the temperament is probably more suitable for the average ANKC competitor.

30kg is rather a bit bigger than I would be looking for in an agility dog :laugh:

Diesel is around 31 or 32kg!

Kaos is 18kg, Nitro between 16 and 17 last time I weighed him.

I have seen a couple of smaller Groens as well, females that again were the same height as Kaos.

If you're only looking to do agility you don't really need a super high drive dog. A dog with moderate drive but light and fast can be very successful.

Border collies have a better build for agility than malinois. I love mals but they're not ideally suited to agility being a heavier dog. Ideally I'd want a 14-20kg dog for agility as it is a pretty high impact sport.

My lab is around 25/26kg and while she is fine now, it's unlikely she will last as long (in agility) as a lighter dog.

400/500 dogs generally have the fastest times and best manouverability.

Border collies seem to vary greatly in temperament so getting to know breeders you like is important.

Edited by aussielover

If you're only looking to do agility you don't really need a super high drive dog. A dog with moderate drive but light and fast can be very successful.

Border collies have a better build for agility than malinois. I love mals but they're not ideally suited to agility being a heavier dog. Ideally I'd want a 14-20kg dog for agility as it is a pretty high impact sport.

My lab is around 25/26kg and while she is fine now, it's unlikely she will last as long (in agility) as a lighter dog.

400/500 dogs generally have the fastest times and best manouverability.

Border collies seem to vary greatly in temperament so getting to know breeders you like is important.

This :)

Malinois are more upright in build than BCs, and a good BC does have the best structure for agility.

The Koolie or Koolie X (not sure which) that I posted about earlier is not the highest drive or the fastest dog on the circuit, but they are certainly one of the most successful (if not the most successful) team in NSW.

So why don't I have a BC - they just don't do it for me like Kelpies do :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

Are you referring to Ag ch kellie Kavik?

She's 3/4 koolie 1/4 BC

She's 10 now I think and still competing at a high level. Which goes to show a dog with good structure can last a long time.

Unfortunately I expect Mindy's agility adventures will not be quite as long and I'd be happy if she's still lightly competing at 7.

But if it's your passion it makes sense to get a dog with the right structure.

Border collies have a better build for agility than malinois. I love mals but they're not ideally suited to agility being a heavier dog

My 34kg male can spring over a 4 foot jump without touching it or a big run up. They're meant to be leaner dogs, there are some finer boned lines lines out there.

Are you referring to Ag ch kellie Kavik?

She's 3/4 koolie 1/4 BC

She's 10 now I think and still competing at a high level. Which goes to show a dog with good structure can last a long time.

Unfortunately I expect Mindy's agility adventures will not be quite as long and I'd be happy if she's still lightly competing at 7.

But if it's your passion it makes sense to get a dog with the right structure.

Yeah I am referring to Kellie - she is awesome! :)

Border collies have a better build for agility than malinois. I love mals but they're not ideally suited to agility being a heavier dog

My 34kg male can spring over a 4 foot jump without touching it or a big run up. They're meant to be leaner dogs, there are some finer boned lines lines out there.

It's the turning that makes it harder for the bigger dogs. Lots of turning in the higher level courses, and the spacing means there is not as much time to turn the bigger, powerful dogs that jump higher and longer.