Help Me Pick My Next Breed

I find it such a shame that BCs and Kelpies dominate the agility world -- there are so many amazing breeds. I prefer to stick with a breed I love and go from there, especially if you're not looking at getting into competitive agility.

My club has quite a mix of breeds: BS Groenendaels, BCs, Kelpies, English Springer Spaniel, Staffords, Smooth Coat Fox Terrier, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terriers, Weimaraner, Shelties, Collie Rough, GSP (who is amazing!), Cocker Spaniels, GSD, Chihuahua, Toy Poodles, Aussie Sheps.

Then there's my two an Aussie Terrier and a Beagle x JRT!

I don't find it a shame...

Other breeds are very successful. I like the ankc system as all breeds of dog have the chance to succeed and attain titles. We are lucky in Australia that we have this as many other big countries have a win out system where you have to win or place to move up a level which means the majority of dogs at the top levels are border collies.

As your club proves there are a wide range of dogs competing in agility in Australia. At most nsw trials there are lots of different breeds.

In nsw alone there are several agility champions of "other" breeds including a corgi, GSP, various mixed breeds, schnauzers and there is even a labrador who is fairly close to getting it.

ANKC really rewards consistency over speed generally compared to a lot of other organizations.

The OP has asked for breed suggestions for a suitable agility dog, however I think that to participate and do fairly well most breeds are suited. Very few breeds are totally unsuitable (perhaps some of the giants and more extreme chondrodysplastic breeds).

Most gundogs will do well and some will excel. My dog has moderate drive and can last through a 3 day trial or seminar easily.

If you're after a top agility prospect and potential winner then you can't go past a border collie in my opinion.

What breed do you have at the moment Megan? What level does he compete at now? Are you after a dog that has a good chance of winning or just a more consistent type of dog?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it such a shame that BCs and Kelpies dominate the agility world -- there are so many amazing breeds. I prefer to stick with a breed I love and go from there, especially if you're not looking at getting into competitive agility.

My club has quite a mix of breeds: BS Groenendaels, BCs, Kelpies, English Springer Spaniel, Staffords, Smooth Coat Fox Terrier, Norfolk Terrier, Norwich Terriers, Weimaraner, Shelties, Collie Rough, GSP (who is amazing!), Cocker Spaniels, GSD, Chihuahua, Toy Poodles, Aussie Sheps.

Then there's my two an Aussie Terrier and a Beagle x JRT!

I don't find it a shame...

Other breeds are very successful. I like the ankc system as all breeds of dog have the chance to succeed and attain titles. We are lucky in Australia that we have this as many other big countries have a win out system where you have to win or place to move up a level which means the majority of dogs at the top levels are border collies.

As your club proves there are a wide range of dogs competing in agility in Australia. At most nsw trials there are lots of different breeds.

In nsw alone there are several agility champions of "other" breeds including a corgi, GSP, various mixed breeds, schnauzers and there is even a labrador who is fairly close to getting it.

ANKC really rewards consistency over speed generally compared to a lot of other organizations.

The OP has asked for breed suggestions for a suitable agility dog, however I think that to participate and do fairly well most breeds are suited. Very few breeds are totally unsuitable (perhaps some of the giants and more extreme chondrodysplastic breeds).

Most gundogs will do well and some will excel. My dog has moderate drive and can last through a 3 day trial or seminar easily.

If you're after a top agility prospect and potential winner then you can't go past a border collie in my opinion.

What breed do you have at the moment Megan? What level does he compete at now? Are you after a dog that has a good chance of winning or just a more consistent type of dog?

All we have to do is make separate heights the norm now :thumbsup:

Is there a great divide between working and show bred border collies?

There are several different types of Border Collie! A friend of mine has been educating me on the different types :laugh: There are even different types within working bred Border Collies.

Is there a great divide between working and show bred border collies?

It depends on the lines and what you want the dog to do. If you want a dog to work sheep (not talking ANKC herding here) then yes, there is a huge divide between them. If you want a dog for agility then you will find suitable lines in both, you just have to do your research. There are huge variances in both as far as size, drive, work ethic etc go so my advice would be to find a breeder who has many dogs already competing so you can gauge what to expect. Some working lines in Australia are much too heavy for agility, but some show lines have too much bone for what I would want in a performance dog too. Some working lines will be less drivey, especially if they have been bred to work particularly light sheep etc, whereas some bred for cattle may be too full on. Same with show, if they have been bred purely for show then they may not have the drive and work ethic you are after, I know many that would rather be couch potatoes. On the flip side though, you get some that go absolutely nuts for doing anything and are really hard to work with as it isn't a useful drive and they can be quite reckless in the wrong hands.

I think regardless of whether you decide to go working or show, the most important thing to look for in a future agility dog is good structure and a temperament that you can live with.

It also may be an outsiders perspective :) Out of 9 border collies we only have 3 that are suitable for multi day seminars. Those 3 would just keep going as long as someone put equipment in front of them. The others get offended if we ask them to do something twice, as though they were the ones who made the mistake. Some of ours would keep working but start offering all sorts of bizarre options because the first one must not have been right. We also have a few who would go and lie down and give us the finger, in a manner that screams "get yourself together and then come back and get me when you are ready".

Loved your post! :)

What about going to the smaller end of the scale and looking at a lowchen. There are only 2 in the country trialling my girl ella who hasn't been out much but has placed at both nationals and tends to place top 3 all heights when we Q. They're fast, intelligent and great little personalities the reason why noone does anything with them there are not alot of young faces in the breed who do sports, there is one who is highly titled in obedience one in dog dancing and ET. If you'd like any help with these guys send me a pm...

Thanks Kavik, Deltacharlie and others, enjoyed this thread.

I breed field Labradors. Some of mine have gone to agility homes.

This is one of my retrieving trial dogs, but thought you may enjoy a tiny example of her jumping ability. Hope not boring!

This is one of my retrieving trial dogs, but thought you may enjoy a tiny example of her jumping ability. Hope not boring!

Love the speed and enthusiasm!

Love the speed and enthusiasm!

Thanks if mine did not have speed or enthusiasm they would be on someone else's couch. Mind you too much desire (please see barking thread) can cause me...headaches LOL.