Somac For Acid Reflux

sueang

Has anyone been prescribed Somac for their dog stomach acid & if so did it work or were there any side effects, my boy cant take Losec he has side effects...he gets bad acid early hours of the morning & vomites up the yellow sticky acid some mornings, I just cant find anything about Somac for dogs only Losec..

Here ya go :) Somac = Pantoprazole

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.2005.66.425?journalCode=ajvr

Abstract

American Journal of Veterinary Research

March 2005, Vol. 66, No. 3, Pages 425-431

doi: 10.2460/ajvr.2005.66.425

Effects of ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole on intragastric pH in dogs

Alexa M. E. Bersenas, DVM Karol A. Mathews, DVM, DVSc Dana G. Allen, DVM, MSc Peter D. Conlon, DVM, PhD

Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada. (Bersenas, Mathews, Allen); Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada. (Conlon)

Objective—To identify the normal gastric acid secretion profile in dogs and determine the degree of gastric acid suppression associated with 4 gastric acid suppressants.

Animals—12 healthy Beagles.

Procedure—Intragastric pH was measured continuously for 24-hour periods with a digital recording system placed via a gastrostomy tube. Baseline measurements were obtained when food was withheld and when dogs were fed a standard diet. Dogs were then treated with ranitidine (2 mg/kg, IV, q 12 h), famotidine (0.5 mg/kg, IV, q 12 h), pantoprazole (1 mg/kg, IV, q 24 h), omeprazole (1 mg/kg, PO, q 24 h), or saline solution for 7 days; intragastric pH was recorded on days 0, 2, and 6. Subsequently, the effects of administering famotidine (0.5 mg/kg, IV, q 8 h; 6 dogs) and omeprazole as a suspension (1 mg/kg, PO, q 12 h; 6 dogs) were evaluated. Median 24-hour intragastric pH, percentage of time pH was ≥ 3, and percentage of time pH was ≥ 4 were determined.

Results—Median pH, percentage of time pH was ≥ 3, and percentage of time pH was ≥ 4 were all significantly higher when food was withheld than when dogs were fed. Famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole significantly suppressed gastric acid secretion, compared with saline solution, as determined on the basis of median 24-hour pH and percentages of time pH was ≥ 3 or ≥ 4. However, ranitidine did not. Omeprazole suspension suppressed gastric acid secretion.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Results suggest that in healthy dogs, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole significantly suppress gastric acid secretion. Twice daily administration of a suspension of omeprazole, was the only regimen tested that approached the potential therapeutic efficacy for acidrelated disease when assessed by criteria used for human patients. (Am J Vet Res 2005;66:425–431)

CITING ARTICLES

Katherine R. Jones, Carol W. Maddox, Marcella D. Ridgway, Stuart C. Clark-Price, Olivier Dossin. (2013) Incidence of bacteremia following upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and biopsy in healthy dogs before, during, and after treatment with omeprazole. American Journal of Veterinary Research 74:2, 239-242.

Online publication date: 1-Feb-2013.

Abstract | Full Text | PDF (68 KB) | PDF Plus (87 KB)

i remember years ago there was a query on this - the yellow morning vomits ;) I have had dogs do it , too. The solution in these cases was to give dogs a few bikkies as a late night snack - no more morning upchucks :)

Have you tried this with your dog?

Here ya go :) Somac = Pantoprazole

http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/ajvr.2005.66.425?journalCode=ajvr

Abstract

American Journal of Veterinary Research

March 2005, Vol. 66, No. 3, Pages 425-431

doi: 10.2460/ajvr.2005.66.425

Effects of ranitidine, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole on intragastric pH in dogs

Alexa M. E. Bersenas, DVM Karol A. Mathews, DVM, DVSc Dana G. Allen, DVM, MSc Peter D. Conlon, DVM, PhD

Department of Clinical Studies, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada. (Bersenas, Mathews, Allen); Department of Biomedical Sciences, Ontario Veterinary College, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON N1G 2W1, Canada. (Conlon)

Objective—To identify the normal gastric acid secretion profile in dogs and determine the degree of gastric acid suppression associated with 4 gastric acid suppressants.

Animals—12 healthy Beagles.

Procedure—Intragastric pH was measured continuously for 24-hour periods with a digital recording system placed via a gastrostomy tube. Baseline measurements were obtained when food was withheld and when dogs were fed a standard diet. Dogs were then treated with ranitidine (2 mg/kg, IV, q 12 h), famotidine (0.5 mg/kg, IV, q 12 h), pantoprazole (1 mg/kg, IV, q 24 h), omeprazole (1 mg/kg, PO, q 24 h), or saline solution for 7 days; intragastric pH was recorded on days 0, 2, and 6. Subsequently, the effects of administering famotidine (0.5 mg/kg, IV, q 8 h; 6 dogs) and omeprazole as a suspension (1 mg/kg, PO, q 12 h; 6 dogs) were evaluated. Median 24-hour intragastric pH, percentage of time pH was ≥ 3, and percentage of time pH was ≥ 4 were determined.

Results—Median pH, percentage of time pH was ≥ 3, and percentage of time pH was ≥ 4 were all significantly higher when food was withheld than when dogs were fed. Famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole significantly suppressed gastric acid secretion, compared with saline solution, as determined on the basis of median 24-hour pH and percentages of time pH was ≥ 3 or ≥ 4. However, ranitidine did not. Omeprazole suspension suppressed gastric acid secretion.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance—Results suggest that in healthy dogs, famotidine, pantoprazole, and omeprazole significantly suppress gastric acid secretion. Twice daily administration of a suspension of omeprazole, was the only regimen tested that approached the potential therapeutic efficacy for acidrelated disease when assessed by criteria used for human patients. (Am J Vet Res 2005;66:425–431)

CITING ARTICLES

Katherine R. Jones, Carol W. Maddox, Marcella D. Ridgway, Stuart C. Clark-Price, Olivier Dossin. (2013) Incidence of bacteremia following upper gastrointestinal endoscopy and biopsy in healthy dogs before, during, and after treatment with omeprazole. American Journal of Veterinary Research 74:2, 239-242.

Online publication date: 1-Feb-2013.

Abstract | Full Text | PDF (68 KB) | PDF Plus (87 KB)

Thank-You Yonjuro, for all the info, do you think if Patch has side effects with the Losec he'll have side effects with Somac? Zantac isnt working I dont think the Zantac has ever really worked...

i remember years ago there was a query on this - the yellow morning vomits ;) I have had dogs do it , too. The solution in these cases was to give dogs a few bikkies as a late night snack - no more morning upchucks :)

Have you tried this with your dog?

Hi, yes I do the biscuit at 9pm, I even started to think the biscuit was causing his acid so I gave rice cake biscuits now Im trying the dry toast, but with the biscuits or kibble sometimes he still wakes & wants his grass of a morning, some mornings he doesnt vomit,but that whole day he seems unwell, this week he just isnt well, he does suffer with IBD....Vet wants him on a steroid but everything that Ive read suggest that Prednisone can cause stomach ulcers & nuasea..so I haven't tried it yet, I think he just needs a real good anti-acid medication like I take (Somac) I think he suffers from GORDs he's always burping after meals, I've done the eat slower things raised food bowl they have helped a bit, I even soften his kibble so if he swollows a few they are soft & partly digested he's even on a low residue kibble that I think may cause his acid sometimes but Ive tried other foods & he has very sloppy poos....

Thank-You Yonjuro, for all the info, do you think if Patch has side effects with the Losec he'll have side effects with Somac? Zantac isnt working I dont think the Zantac has ever really worked...

It is a different compound so it may not have the associated side effect. I have personally been on somac prescribed by my doctor for around 3 years now and apparently there is no negative side effects I need to worry about. The only way I know that I have taken it is that my stomach doesn't burn at night. Zantac hardly worked for me at all.

I cannot really answer your question better than that, but I think that it is worth trying to see how you go. I am not sure what the reason for Patch's condition is, but these modern medicines have seen to the self repair of ulcers that previously needed surgery.

I have a dog with bilious vomiting syndrome. He's only had it for a few months but it got to the stage where he couldn't go overnight without food - sometimes 8 hours without food and he would be uncomfortable in the morning. He doesn't always vomit but shows nausea/discomfort.

I've been discussing with my vet about what to do next, but at the moment I feed him a snack at night around 9-10pm, then I get up in the early hours around 1-2am to give him another snack, then brekky at 6-7am. I've been doing this for a couple of weeks and he's had no further episodes. During the day is not an issue because he gets small meals throughout the day. I've just ordered an automatic feeder and when that arrives I'll try setting it for his overnight snack.

Have you tried using an automatic feeder overnight so he doesn't go for so long without food?

Sueang - would slippery elm be of any use? Maybe try some slippery elm powder mixed in with some goat/sheep yoghurt just before bed? I used a 'slippery elm cocktail' when Louis was on a lot of drugs last year for a particular illness.

http://community.dog.com/health/diseases_az/f/29482/p/90432/915667.aspx

Slippery elm, on its own, is a gut protectant and anti-inflammatory (and an anti-inflammatory that won't fight with anything and doesn't cause problems). It is - in my holistic vet's words -- "sort of like silicone in how it sorta slides down and coats".

The aloe, chlorophyl and probiotic combine with the slippery elm to literally HEAL a sore stomach (human or dog). So it's one of those things you keep the ingredients on hand so you can dive in with it when you need it. At one point in the "later days" after the drugs had begun to ravage his gut, he was on this for months. But if Taz is showing some gut upset you can surely use it with the Pepcid with no problem.

The aloe juice is just 100% drinkable aloe from the health store. Many health stores carry "slippery elm tea" - that IS ground slippery elm bark without having to dump capsules. It's also often sold in bunk in places like Whole Foods. Acidopholus is in the refrigerator case in a health store. Chlorophyl can be a pain to find and usually you have to buy a pint of it (to get like a few drops?? *sigh*). I bought it online last time I got it.

1 -- half a cup of boiling water.

2 -- add 1 rounded tsp. of ground slippery elm

3 -- let cool totally

4 -- add 1/8 c. + 2 tablespoons of aloe juice

5 -- add 10 drops of chlorophyll

6 -- Add 2-3 capsules (open the caps) of acidolpholus

Once you get it mixed up and whipped smooth, it keeps in the fridge for 3-4 days (after that the acidopholous dies).

Use a baby medicine syringe and load it FULL. Give about half an hour before a meal. Just put the tip of the syringe behind the canine tooth and hold the mouth loosely closed. Squirt slowly so they can work their tongue to swallow.