Former Michael Vick Dog Turned Therapy Pup Dies

Mila's Mum

http://www.peoplepets.com/people/pets/article/0,,20867317,00.html

Hector's last days were great ones. And his very last day is a memory his adoptive parents Roo and Clara Yori will hold tight in their hearts forever.

"The sun was shining, the frogs were out for me to chase at the pond, and I had Roo and Clara to carry me off the trail when my legs just couldn't go any further," reads a Facebook post about the former Michael Vick dog's last day on earth, which his owners wrote on his behalf.

"I called shotgun to assume my co-pilot position on the way to the vet, where I passed away surrounded by people who love me. I think my past life caught up with me and caused my time to come a little early. However, I can proudly say that I gave it everything I had all the way until the end."

Hector's new beginning began at about 3 years old when he was plucked from football quarterback Michael Vick's dogfighting ring (Vick served 21 months in prison). Luckily for the pooch the timing was right and the Yoris were in the market for a new pup. They took the gentle giant home from the Bad Rap shelter in San Francisco in 2008.

"I fell in love with him as a dog," Andrew "Roo" Yori told PEOPLE in 2010. "It was so obvious that he had scars that show what he's been through, but they were completely external. Inside, he was just like any other dog – he impressed me."

Roo wasn't the only one. Certified as a therapy dog and having passed the AKC Canine Good Citizen test twice, Hector visited nursing homes, hospitals and schools with Clara, where people young and old marveled at his sweet temperament.

Hector savored his last days by taking walks, going to acupuncture appointments, celebrating Pit Bull Awareness Day on Oct. 25 and even dressing like a turtle for Halloween. He passed away on Monday from cancer, but those happy images are how Hector wants to be remembered.

"Try not to be sad," reads Hector's last Facebook post. "Instead celebrate my life. While I wish I could have lived a little longer, I passed knowing I won the game that is my life."

Hector and all the other Vicktory dogs literally changed the game completely for victims of cruelty in the form of dogfighting. Prior to these dogs and the people who fought for them to have a chance all seized dogs were held as evidence and destroyed after conviction. Now in most places in the US dogs rescued from fight busts are assessed as individuals and given a chance. People like Tim and Donna at BADRAP worked tirelessly to ensure these dogs had a chance and completely changed the game. It was an honour to have visited them two years in a row now and to call them friends.

I was lucky enough to meet a few of the other Vicktory dogs and their owners on my last few trips to the States and they really tell us what many find hard to comprehend about APBT - they are just dogs :) They have left their past behind them and are wonderful, loving pets and therapy dogs. Some live with other dogs, with kids etc. Some are high energy, some aren't. Hector had a particularly expressive face and love for life. He'll be missed.

This photo and caption on his facebook page not long before he went made me smile :)

As I prepare to pass and say good-bye, I want to thank all the people that were responsible for giving me the chance I deserved, and all the people that help save other dogs from similar circumstances. Thanks to you, after a couple of really crappy years with Vick and his buddies, I was able to enjoy 7 years of love and fun adventures! I was able to meet all kinds of really cool people, and prove that even dogs saved from horrendous situations should get a shot to show what they are made of. Ideally, it would have been nice for Vick to reconcile with me and all the other dogs from that time, but that didn't happen. That's his choice, and that says something in my opinion. My choice, though, was not to allow that past to dictate who I am. As a result, I can say this in regards to my life: I Win!

post-29264-0-87392800-1414923119_thumb.jpg

I read the book about these dogs, The Lost Dogs, the beginning was gut wrenching, made me cry but I kept going and the success stories and these wonderful people that worked so hard to save so many dogs and the futures the dogs had was incredible. Thank goodness for these people that got in and helped the dogs.

So glad Hector had such a wonderful seven years with kindness and love.

Edited by Flippy Dog