Blackhawk Sells Out To Foreign Ownership

Dr_Joan

Does foreign ownership matter?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather buy an Australian Owned & Made product?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feed BH and I stopped about two years ago, maybe more. I have no idea why, but this particular brand always seemed to make people (feeders and non feeders) tense and bitchy whenever there was a discussion about it.

Perhaps because some people on here sell it and feel they have to defend it?

Ivory Coat is just as 'Strayan and not only is comparable in terms of ingredients, they have a much wider range of proteins. Price isn't much different, either.

I personally think Ivory Coat is a much better product, I would feed it to my dogs I wouldn't feed them BlackHawk

That's also my opinion by looking at it objectively, it's more or less the same.

I don't feed much kibble because the greys don't seem to do all that well on it but Ivory Coat and Taste of the Wild both seem to work reasonably well. TotW is much easier to get down here (a local shop sells it) whereas IC has to be bought online and the shipping costs added so while IC is Australian (which is great), we go with what is more accessible.

Ivory Coat is just as 'Strayan and not only is comparable in terms of ingredients, they have a much wider range of proteins. Price isn't much different, either.

Where can I buy it at a similar price?

I'm seeing 20kg BH at around $90 (is this before price rise?)

And 13kg IC at around $110

Edited by GeorgieB

And from what I can see, Ivory Coat is a much higher protein %age .. 36 is way too high for my two .. so I'll stick with BH .. just about to buy new bags, will be interesting to see price and hopefully they won't be crumbly . not that the dogs would care.

Petstock have the 20kg bags of black hawk at around $112. I used to pay $97 for it, tho the first bag I got - in Victoria in Feb 2012 - was $75... getting it to SA seems to cost $20 ish. Even tho diesel is cheaper now - I guess the truck driver is not.

I think Gobles on Richmond road had it around $110 mark. And I like supporting the local businesses and they have lots of other interesting stuff. I've always bought some Roo Jerky at the same time and maybe a couple of cows hooves.

You're comparing two different varieties of product there. The 13kg Ivory Coat is a grain free product. Black Hawk only seems to sell their grain free formula in 3kg bags. Cost per kilo for Ivory Coat grain free is $8.45 for the largest bag, compared to Black Hawk's grain free price of $9.65 per kilo.

Feeding a formula with rice in it is certainly cheaper because rice is a hell of a lot cheaper than better quality ingredients :shrug:

You're comparing two different varieties of product there. The 13kg Ivory Coat is a grain free product. Black Hawk only seems to sell their grain free formula in 3kg bags. Cost per kilo for Ivory Coat grain free is $8.45 for the largest bag, compared to Black Hawk's grain free price of $9.65 per kilo.

Feeding a formula with rice in it is certainly cheaper because rice is a hell of a lot cheaper than better quality ingredients :shrug:

Ahh I see, I was looking at price only, did not see that Ivory Coat was grain free. (I feed advance)

Edited by GeorgieB

Ahh I see, I was looking at price only, did not see that Ivory Coat was grain free. (I feed advance)

It's slightly more expensive than TotW (another grain fee) for a 13kg bag but I guess it depends on whether or not you feel buying Australian is worth the extra $10. So really, in comparing against products that are similar in terms of quality and ingredients, price is pretty average.

I looked at prices and p/kg for another BH formula (lamb and rice) and bulk price difference was $2.15 per kilo. Assuming they will stick to that pricing formula for the grain free product, a 20kg bag should cost $150. 13kgs worth of grain free BH works out at roughly $97.5 so again, IC does cost more but the difference is actually only $13 for identical amounts.

Woah you guys weren't joking about price increase! We bought a 20kg BH yesterday (chicken one, usually buy the fish one) and it was )$117! I think it was about $90 last time I bought it back in April eek!

I had a walk around but the only 20kg bags cheaper than it were eukanba (spelling??)

But BH really agrees with her (had some issues with other foods making her skin flaky and fur spikey) so reluctant to do a switch.

My store didn't appear to sell Ivory Coast or id have grabbed a small bag to test :s I'll check out petbarn on Thursday.

Edited by Thistle the dog

Woah you guys weren't joking about price increase! We bought a 20kg BH yesterday (chicken one, usually buy the fish one) and it was )$117! I think it was about $90 last time I bought it back in April eek!

I had a walk around but the only 20kg bags cheaper than it were eukanba (spelling??)

But BH really agrees with her (had some issues with other foods making her skin flaky and fur spikey) so reluctant to do a switch.

My store didn't appear to sell Ivory Coast or id have grabbed a small bag to test :s I'll check out petbarn on Thursday.

[/quot

IC is not in PB or PS, I can send you a sample if you like I have boxes of them

It pays to look around as the chains tend to stick to recommended retail or higher. Our 20kg bags of Blackhawk Chicken & Rice are $106.95.

As Casowner mentioned, Ivory Coat is not in Petbarn so look on their website for a local supplier.

BTW, Canidae is about to have a big price increase :-(

Sags

IC is not in PB or PS, I can send you a sample if you like I have boxes of them

Oh would that be okay? I'm not going to turn down free samples! She'll eat anything but I want to, y'know, make sure it's not giving her dandruff or the runs or anything.

@Taliecat,

I was at a Best Friends when I bought the BH :( But I didn't see it, so maybe it was the cleared out section (i didn't look closely) :( I'll ask them next time I'm in. Do you know the best friends cost?

if my store doesn't i can always ask them to bring it in, the staff/mgr are pretty good at requests.

Edited by Thistle the dog

• 2 weeks later...

I need to update my records, I accidentally lied. The 20kg I bought was $101. I bought some bones with it bringing my whole purchase up to $117. Woops!

Still couldn't find Ivory Coat in my best friends so going to ask if they'll bring it in (and antlers!). Won't buy it for awhile as we're good for a few months now

I'm bought a new food (for us) to try out this week. Meals for Mutts (Performance Formula). Australian company, grain free, chicken free, high protein, so all the things I need for my dog plus the added bonus of being Australian. Was about $130 for 20kg.