Dog Stolen For Fighting The Returned

denali

Just saw this link on my fb news feed :(

Terrible!

Kepp your dogs safe everyone.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/dog-fighting-ring-steals-alfie-the-kelpielabrador-cross-from-sunshine-home-for-brutal-battle/story-fnii5smp-1227110162557

A VICIOUS dog-fighting ring is active in Melbourne’s west, according to a woman whose missing pooch returned home with horrific injuries and a rope tied to his back leg.

Alfie was barely alive when his owner, Sheena, found him bloodied and covered in puncture wounds on the doorstep of their Sunshine home on Friday — 24 hours after he went missing.

Sheena believes her loyal kelpie-labrador-cross was stolen from their Fraser St backyard sometime between 11am and 6pm on Thursday to be used in an organised dogfight.

But the brave canine miraculously managed to escape the clutches of the dognappers and make his way home despite suffering horrific injuries, including a 10cm-deep and 20cm-long gash which came within millimetres of his jugular artery.

The three-year-old was rushed to Advanced Vetcare in Kensington, where he last night remained in a stable condition after undergoing emergency surgery and a blood transfusion.

Vets fear his injuries were not only from a dogfight but also an attack with a knife.

“I find it unbelievable that there’s people out there who are capable of such cruelty,” Sheena said.

Dog Survives Dogfight and Stabbing

Sheena took to social media to share her story and warn other dog owners to be vigilant and take care to secure their pets from becoming victims of a similar fate.

“It doesn’t appear to be a one-off. This vicious act has happened in the area in the past,” she told the Herald Sun.

“It’s just heartbreaking. Alfie may have been under surveillance for some time.

“It just shows your dog’s not safe unless they’re in a well-protected space.”

His case has sparked outrage online with residents and dog lovers calling on the culprits to be brought to justice.

Many residents have posted that scouts have been marking houses and fences with chalk to alert the dog thieves where pets are living when they come by later.

One woman wrote: “I hate living in Sunshine even more right now.

“The fear of something happening to my dog is back and it’s an awful feeling. I’m just so glad Alfie made it home. What a trooper.”

Victoria Police earlier this year warned pet owners in the western suburbs to keep their dogs secure after a series of dognappings were reported in Caroline Springs, Werribee and Hillside.

[email protected]

Originally published as Stolen dog horrifically injured in ‘fight ring’

Edit: to make is easier to read

Edited by denali

You know, for all the talk of house marking on social media, I've yet to see a pic. Why is that?

The last information I saw about this supposed stealing of dogs for fighting suggests that people would be far better off considering that some sick individuals just take dogs to torture them.

We get the same reports here in the ACT and as far as I know the only dog abuse cases with 'taken' dogs have been plain old animal cruelty. :(

You know, for all the talk of house marking on social media, I've yet to see a pic. Why is that?

The last information I saw about this supposed stealing of dogs for fighting suggests that people would be far better off considering that some sick individuals just take dogs to torture them.

We get the same reports here in the ACT and as far as I know the only dog abuse cases with 'taken' dogs have been plain old animal cruelty. :(

True, i haven't either. You are probably right. i feel dog fighting isn't as much of a problem as overseas.

Though thats an assumption really and would stand corrected.

God i hate some people :mad

I saw another article about this today which referred to this situation. The vet involved was quoted as saying that in their opinion the wounds looks more like they were inflicted with a knife than from a dog attack.

Interesting that that article matches what HW is thinking. Probably the case then. This article says one inflicted by knife others from dogs. Either way not very good of whoever responsible.

Poor boy :( but why do they have a harness on him with all those sore areas and sutures and drains????

I personally think it is more liekly to be sickos than an organised fighting ring - if they get caught they should just be shot on the spot.

Wise words. Prophetic.

Agree with this. Does anyone seriously believe that people are going to drive around the suburbs looking for houses with a mark on them? It would be worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.

eta re bolded first paragraph

Edited by sarsaparilla

Agree with this. Does anyone seriously believe that people are going to drive around the suburbs looking for houses with a mark on them? It would be worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.

It does seem like a huge leap when you could just write the addresses down on a piece of paper and then give that piece of paper to the person doing the stealing. On that same bit of paper, you could include breed, owners' schedules and security of each house. Of course, that sort of sensible approach is much less mysterious than secret signs and codes painted everywhere.

post-19844-0-50033800-1415060820_thumb.png

It does seem like a huge leap when you could just write the addresses down on a piece of paper and then give that piece of paper to the person doing the stealing. On that same bit of paper, you could include breed, owners' schedules and security of each house. Of course, that sort of sensible approach is much less mysterious than secret signs and codes painted everywhere.

post-19844-0-50033800-1415060820_thumb.png

Hardly as fun an exciting to publish in the newspaper anyways.

That poor dog - I hope he makes a full recovery.

I doubt very much that dog fighters would bring the dog back to the house they stole it from (unless they wanted to get caught). I also doubt they would fight the dog anywhere near its home or in close vicinity of tenanted homes - the noise would surely arouse suspicion??

We have had loads of people saying that their homes are marked with blue chalk - I pointed out that the local surveyors use blue chalk to make points.

Then someone said about the white arrows painted - so I pointed out that council use those to show where water metres are.

In this day and age of phones with cameras, why would anyone go to the trouble of painting or chalking the concrete in front of a house - seems bending down to do so, would get more attention than someone walking along the street with a phone in their hand..

Dog fighting is such a secret thing that I honestly can't see why they would steal pets, with the chance of getting caught and blowing their whole operation..

There's plenty of try hards out in western suburbs melbourne, both dog fighting and cock fighting still happens a lot. BUT it's not some big deal organised crime racket people think it is, it's more young guys with warped ideals that do it. And it's a bit of a 'cultural' thing as well.

Oh poor fella :( Lovely friendly looking boy even with all he has been through. There are some very sick individuals out there, VERY SICK... :mad

Hope he makes a full recovery & can put this horrendous ordeal behind him so as it doesn't spoil his obviously lovely nature.