Superlorin And Large/giant Breeds

sas

Hi Guys,

I've previously superlorined an adult Dane before who was 2 years+ with no issues however I'd like to pick your brains on a younger Dane, currently 16 months and I'm looking to implant at 18 months - I was hoping to hold out until 2 years of age but I don't think we'll get that far.

Temperament is absolutely fine however this is the 2nd time in 3-4 months that we're going through symptoms of what seems to be neighborhood bitches in season. The process he goes through is usually 3 weeks and 1 of those weeks he barely eats, he sits at the gate sniffing the air and crying.

I'm considering having him implanted for his own emotional well being.

My concern is that he is a big Dane that I would ideally like to fill out naturally which generally would happen between 2-4 years of age. Do you have any experience with Superlorin and the dog still continuing to fill out as planned?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't used it on a large breed, but I have been told that due to it reducing testosterone to the same levels as surgical castration that if you implant a young dog it may well not fill out as it would if it had full levels of hormones.

If they do fill out after the implant wears off??? I am not sure.

I haven't used it on a large breed, but I have been told that due to it reducing testosterone to the same levels as surgical castration that if you implant a young dog it may well not fill out as it would if it had full levels of hormones.

If they do fill out after the implant wears off??? I am not sure.

I thought I'd just go with a 6 month one (which could last longer) so I could back out if necc.

Edited by sas

If I did give it I would only ever give the 6 month one as the 12 month one I gave my boy lasted 2.5 years. I was going to go the 6 month but got talked into the 12month one with information that has now been chnaged and even from a short discussion on here is proven wrong now.

I gave the 12 month one to Whip (17kg BC) when he was a few months shy of 2 and didn't seem to have much growing left. It was on recommendation of my vet as he was so over the top with stupidity he was at risk of injuring himself. 2.5 years later it finally wore off (aged 4) and he bulked right up and matured immensely. Had I realised just how much more maturing he had left I may have held off a little longer, but it did eventually happen and he is perfectly fine now and how I would expect an entire male BC to be.

Regarding development, the Suprelorin alters this similarly to surgical castration.

And don't waste our time asking a vet cause it seems to be yet another one of those areas they are denial has any physical affect at all... doesn't fall within the realms of diagnostics and medications... I apologise, I shouldn't have a vet bash

Regarding development, the Suprelorin alters this similarly to surgical castration.

And don't waste our time asking a vet cause it seems to be yet another one of those areas they are denial has any physical affect at all... doesn't fall within the realms of diagnostics and medications... I apologise, I shouldn't have a vet bash

Weeellllllll

No we shouldn't but I was told lots of stuff about it and it wasn't until I had issues, started researching and finding info from overseas drug applications for registration and started a thread on here that I discovered I wasn't alone and there was issues.

I thought I'd just go with a 6 month one (which could last longer) so I could back out if necc.

Have you spoken to anyone from Virbac recently?

I was making enquiries about using Supreloin for a 9 month old Hungarian Vizsla.

The person I spoke to gave me a whole heap of info that I was not fully aware of: a few weeks after OoSwift made her post about the experiences she had with her dog.

I got told outright that a 6 month implant can take longer to cease its functions.

I could give you the name if you were interested.

Yes their information had changed now and I believe the current recommendation is not to use it on a dog you want later for stud. You could always collect as insurance and I certainly would now

Yeah we are collecting first.

And there's where the dilemma's begin, there are plenty of examples of dogs that have matured lovely de-sexed before final maturity.

And there's where the dilemma's begin, there are plenty of examples of dogs that have matured lovely de-sexed before final maturity.

Wow, OK, I've yet to see one.

SAS I used the 12 month implant on my 14 month old bullmastiff and he still developed to his full potential, he filled out in the chest as if he was entire and the only thing was he lost some of the cheek fill around his head and neck like a castrated dog would but his body filled out much better than |expected with implanting prior to maturity. this was my big bullmastiff boy Odin and we implanted the 12 month one and lasted over 2 years. Not the best example of the breed which is why I was happy to go with the 12 month one as never intended to breed with him he was my first show bullmastiff and had no trouble getting his title after implanting.

SAS, my apologies, I misread your post as saying your boy was 6 months and looking at doing it at 8 months.

Seeing as he basically only has filling out type development to go, not bones and joints, I doubt you'll see a major difference if you do it at 18 months as opposed to 2 years.

And whatever you lose ie head and cheek fill, even muscle around the legs etc will all return once the implant wears off.

Wow, OK, I've yet to see one.

In our breed we have 1 litter that is used as an example, most of them desexed early and you couldn't tell.

SAS I used the 12 month implant on my 14 month old bullmastiff and he still developed to his full potential, he filled out in the chest as if he was entire and the only thing was he lost some of the cheek fill around his head and neck like a castrated dog would but his body filled out much better than |expected with implanting prior to maturity. this was my big bullmastiff boy Odin and we implanted the 12 month one and lasted over 2 years. Not the best example of the breed which is why I was happy to go with the 12 month one as never intended to breed with him he was my first show bullmastiff and had no trouble getting his title after implanting.

Thanks for that. Yes the shoulders and the chest is what I'm concerned about but you don't want to full out there and have a weedy rear either huh!

SAS, my apologies, I misread your post as saying your boy was 6 months and looking at doing it at 8 months.

Seeing as he basically only has filling out type development to go, not bones and joints, I doubt you'll see a major difference if you do it at 18 months as opposed to 2 years.

And whatever you lose ie head and cheek fill, even muscle around the legs etc will all return once the implant wears off.

Cool, thanks for that. Yes definitely not 6 months!