A Donation Button Next To Our Dogs On Petrescue

Has anyone noticed this before? I think it gives the impression that donations are linked to the hands-on rescue of the dog in the photo which they aren't. The button is red and in the top right.

So it goes: Profile --> photo -->> donate. And I know for a fact that people confuse the site 'Pet Rescue' with the actual group who rescues and rehomes so of course they will feel that donations go straight to the animals when it's set up like that.

Rescue group info remains at the very bottom in the usual small pale text that was criticised when they rebuilt the site. Sorry if it's been there a while and I'm whinging a little late, I'm always in under edit mode so haven't seen it before.

eta: I'm not really expecting too many responses. If you're a rescuer, you may want to tell your supporters the difference.

Or put the PetRescue logo on your website next to your own donate button. smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Edited by Powerlegs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Placement is prime though, and the average punter who doesn't read everything properly may think that the ones on the adoption pages are for the rescue dogs in them.

T.

Highly likely I'd say. As Powerlegs said, many people tell me that the rescue group they adopted from was "Petrescue", they just don't get it ...

I have had one person at least that made a quite a sizeable donation thinking it was coming to me and when I explained it wasn't they did try and contact them to get it back, but no go.

I have also complained to them about it as I think it is very misleading.

I have had one person at least that made a quite a sizeable donation thinking it was coming to me and when I explained it wasn't they did try and contact them to get it back, but no go.

I have also complained to them about it as I think it is very misleading.

Seriously?! :eek:

Did you at least get a reply to your complaint?

Heya!

If anyone ever has concerns about stuff like this, I'm always happy to hear from you. I've been on back-to-back maternity leave having my two girls, but am on deck now - [email protected].

I pop by DOL as often as I can, so am also happy to chat here (but I might not see it straight away).

The layout being discussed is the side bar. We use this for our primary advertising and have headed it with a donation bar. We do this to make money. Yup! We use the space for advertisers and donations because it is prime real estate. A potential link to the profiles had never occurred to us.

We've looked at many other revenue streams as we continue to grow - the obvious one being some kind of membership or the like. But seriously, we're not in the business of taking money from rescue groups - we don't want to charge you. We want you guys to set your adoption fees and keep the lot. We don't even charge the millions of visitors who come to the site. We don't sell a super successful product on the side. We're a revenue-free business model!! GENUIS! Except, TOTALLY NOT GENIUS. We've had to find ways to scrape revenue. Like with a donate button.

And to be honest, I'm a bit sad to hear everyone leap to the conclusion that this is an effort to do you out of genuine donations. I don't want your donations. I want to run a healthy business doing good and on its own merit. If anyone in my team was told by a donor they'd donated to us in error they would have been horrified, just as I am. And it would have been sorted out. Something else happened - I can't tell you what as I don't know - but Jill, email me and I promise to do anything I can to sort it.

Please - we want to be in the business of SAVING rescue groups money. We secure excellent tv adverts and radio play and calendars and national tv spots. If anyone has ever tried to get any of that stuff alone, you'll know it costs money - friggin stacks of the stuff. We bust balls to get PetRescue in every major place we can - so more people see your pets - more adopters come forward - more animals get placed - rescue groups get more revenue so they can take even more of a chunk out of the major players - and independent rescue grow and have an even greater standing in dictating policy in the animal welfare space - that 'rescue voices' get heard. That pets are made safe.

By joining forces with you, we can secure the exposure levels of the major players. We want to be able to do cool stuff for you. If anyone feels our membership 'costs' more than it provides, then I'm really, truly sorry. We totally failed you.

Not much more I can say :(

I didnt leap to any assumption that you were deliberately trying to do anyone out of donations but truth is that as it stands its a bit confusing and some may not mean to be donating to you when they do. Just make it a little more clear - simple

Heya!

If anyone ever has concerns about stuff like this, I'm always happy to hear from you. I've been on back-to-back maternity leave having my two girls, but am on deck now - [email protected].

I pop by DOL as often as I can, so am also happy to chat here (but I might not see it straight away).

The layout being discussed is the side bar. We use this for our primary advertising and have headed it with a donation bar. We do this to make money. Yup! We use the space for advertisers and donations because it is prime real estate. A potential link to the profiles had never occurred to us.

We've looked at many other revenue streams as we continue to grow - the obvious one being some kind of membership or the like. But seriously, we're not in the business of taking money from rescue groups - we don't want to charge you. We want you guys to set your adoption fees and keep the lot. We don't even charge the millions of visitors who come to the site. We don't sell a super successful product on the side. We're a revenue-free business model!! GENUIS! Except, TOTALLY NOT GENIUS. We've had to find ways to scrape revenue. Like with a donate button.

And to be honest, I'm a bit sad to hear everyone leap to the conclusion that this is an effort to do you out of genuine donations. I don't want your donations. I want to run a healthy business doing good and on its own merit. If anyone in my team was told by a donor they'd donated to us in error they would have been horrified, just as I am. And it would have been sorted out. Something else happened - I can't tell you what as I don't know - but Jill, email me and I promise to do anything I can to sort it.

Please - we want to be in the business of SAVING rescue groups money. We secure excellent tv adverts and radio play and calendars and national tv spots. If anyone has ever tried to get any of that stuff alone, you'll know it costs money - friggin stacks of the stuff. We bust balls to get PetRescue in every major place we can - so more people see your pets - more adopters come forward - more animals get placed - rescue groups get more revenue so they can take even more of a chunk out of the major players - and independent rescue grow and have an even greater standing in dictating policy in the animal welfare space - that 'rescue voices' get heard. That pets are made safe.

By joining forces with you, we can secure the exposure levels of the major players. We want to be able to do cool stuff for you. If anyone feels our membership 'costs' more than it provides, then I'm really, truly sorry. We totally failed you.

Hi Shel,

I guess the crux of the issue is the location of the donate button, nothing to do with your site needing to generate funds, instead the valid concern that the millions of petrescue viewers may be confused and donate believing it is towards a specific rescue. I think if one error has been made and known, the chances of others having done the same would be high.

Just wondering if there is going to be any changes made so this is less likely occurring again?

Hi all

I have to say I'm equally disappointed to see these comments, especially the suggestion that we would keep a misdirected donation. Although as Shel has said, she has been away on mat leave, myself [email protected] and [email protected] (PetRescue member contact) have been here throughout. We are the same team as always.

Jill, we haven't had anyone contact us about a donation being misdirected, we occasionally have people add extra zeros to donations or people who try to pay an adoption fee via our system and always refund their money immediately. We also contact all donors via email or phone after a donation is made to thank them, which would have given anyone an opportunity to let us know there was an issue.

For those of you commenting, please have a look at the site yourself. You will see the donation button has text directly above it clearly explaining who and what we are. Clicking the donation button does not immediately take a donors money, instead it takes you to a full page that again explains who PetRescue is and what we do. You then need to click a further button to take you to a page to fill in your details to make a donation. Then further verification and confirmation of your donation. Each step of this process clearly states who we are and what we do.

I can only reiterate - if you have concerns of this type, please let me know directly.

[email protected]

Hi all

I have to say I'm equally disappointed to see these comments, especially the suggestion that we would keep a misdirected donation. Although as Shel has said, she has been away on mat leave, myself [email protected] and [email protected] (PetRescue member contact) have been here throughout. We are the same team as always.

Jill, we haven't had anyone contact us about a donation being misdirected, we occasionally have people add extra zeros to donations or people who try to pay an adoption fee via our system and always refund their money immediately. We also contact all donors via email or phone after a donation is made to thank them, which would have given anyone an opportunity to let us know there was an issue.

For those of you commenting, please have a look at the site yourself. You will see the donation button has text directly above it clearly explaining who and what we are. Clicking the donation button does not immediately take a donors money, instead it takes you to a full page that again explains who PetRescue is and what we do. You then need to click a further button to take you to a page to fill in your details to make a donation. Then further verification and confirmation of your donation. Each step of this process clearly states who we are and what we do.

I can only reiterate - if you have concerns of this type, please let me know directly.

[email protected]

I can only reinterate that is the location of the button that will have people confused, and thank you for answering my question, I would have thought it would have been worth moving but it is your site to do as you wish.

I doubt JRT rescue would be lying about the situation that has occurred and think the suggestion that they have lied is not an appropriate way to address a members concerns.

Hi again

Jill, Malti has misunderstood my comment, I'd hate to think you would too, so just to confirm, I haven't heard from the donor, so either they haven't contacted us or they have contacted someone else believing it was us. Please let them know we haven't heard from them and if they contact me directly [email protected] we can sort out their refund. We have complete records of all donations and email contact so it won't be difficult to find.

Vix

Hi again

Jill, Malti has misunderstood my comment, I'd hate to think you would too, so just to confirm, I haven't heard from the donor, so either they haven't contacted us or they have contacted someone else believing it was us. Please let them know we haven't heard from them and if they contact me directly [email protected] we can sort out their refund. We have complete records of all donations and email contact so it won't be difficult to find.

Vix

Hi Vickie,

Hoping you can clarify the other concern since I misunderstood your comments towards Jill. Is the location of the 'donate now' button going to be reviewed or not? I took from your long winded post it was not going to be, but do not want another 'misunderstanding'.

Thank you, shel & vix, for the courtesy in your replies.

That was helpful your pointing out the donation button leads to specific steps that first spell out who Pet Rescue is & what they do. So the donation is going in that direction..

My own thought is that, within the format of a rescue's specific entry, it perhaps could be noted by that rescue where further information on how to support them, can be found (like on their website or facebook page)

And thanks again for the service you have developed & I appreciated Shel's setting out in detail what it entails for you to do it.

Edited by mita

Heya!

Thank you for you response and explanation Shel!

I personally do not have any problems with the marketing and donate now positioning. PetRescue is an amazing service for all animals and rescue groups. It is also extremely user friendly and it is great that people can go to one place to search for animals and rescues. It also needs to be a sustainable service and just like rescue groups it requires donations to do this.

Ultimately money donated to petrescue assists all rescue groups and all rescue animals.

Keep up the good work!

Hi again

Vix

Hi Vickie,

Hoping you can clarify the other concern since I misunderstood your comments towards Jill. Is the location of the 'donate now' button going to be reviewed or not? I took from your long winded post it was not going to be, but do not want another 'misunderstanding'.

I think you have your answer. Like it or lump it Malti. :laugh:

Wow. I don't get the angst towards PetRescue . They explain clearly who they are when you hit the donate button. If people don't read that then it is on them, not on PetRescue. If the person who donated in error doesn't contact PetRescue, then what can they do?

Moving the button on to another part of the page isn't going to help. They could remove it entirely , but then someone is going to have to pay to run PetRescue.