A Donation Button Next To Our Dogs On Petrescue

Wow. I don't get the angst towards PetRescue . They explain clearly who they are when you hit the donate button. If people don't read that then it is on them, not on PetRescue. If the person who donated in error doesn't contact PetRescue, then what can they do?

Moving the button on to another part of the page isn't going to help. They could remove it entirely , but then someone is going to have to pay to run PetRescue.

This.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edited, not worth being misunderstood :)

There's probably a compromise but it doesn't matter anyway. I was just curious as to how others felt. Thanks all.

xAnna

Edited by Powerlegs

Sorry but I didn't keep the ladies name regarding this as it was some months ago and I get approx 30 emails a day and if my memory is right she also rang me regarding this but I know I did send a email to you directly about it so not sure if you would still have that on hand. sorry I can't help any further if I do come across it I will let you know.

A lot of the enquiries I get the people think Pet Rescue is a "rescue" group they ask about a particular dog and when it isn't one of mine I ask what group has the dog and they say "Pet Rescue" I then have to explain PR's role and they are really not interested and brush it off so I can understand where the confusion comes from.

Maree

CPR

I have just watched a video that Petrescue have prepared to increase adoptions.

It says "we have rehomed xxxxx cats and dogs", this is also a bit confusing because to me, Petrescue is the website that allows rescue groups to showcase the dogs they have rescued. Isn't it still the rescue groups that actually "rehome" the cats and dogs? They do the homechecks, interviews and place the animals, still taking the responsibility all the way?

If you'd like to check out what we're up to, please see the link here: https://www.chuffed.org/project/petrescue-safe-and-sound-pounds

thumb_8InJVoJAQgRwwCdMr4chuffed_page_image1.png

By Christmas, PetRescue will have helped find forever homes for more than 250,000 rescue pets, from over 750 rescue groups and shelters nationwide. Now just imagine how many more lives would be saved by next Christmas if PetRescue got the nation's 550+ pounds on board too!

Currently only 1% of all council pounds are utilising PetRescue's free services to advertise their pets for adoption.

We believe every pound pet deserves a public face - whether they are lost and needing to be reunited with their owner, or waiting for a new family. So, here's what we're going to do about it...

In 2015, we're focusing our efforts on bringing all healthy and treatable pets online. We want to give all pounds the resources to effectively help animals throughout the impoundment journey and, in turn, give every pet the best chance of leaving through the front door into loving arms.

Our Safe and Sound Pounds project will run throughout 2015 and will focus on outreach and getting all pounds in Australia listing all of their available-for-adoption pets on PetRescue. A component of this is publishing the 'Pound Performance Guide', a free resource detailing how to create an effective program which harnesses the power of the community to make pounds a safe place for pets.

Promoting and publicising this program will allow us to reach every pet lover with information on how to drive reform at their own local council pound. We're extremely excited at the potential to find every pet who needs it, a new forever family!

We are completely transparent in what we do, and how our resources are used. The great news is, the community really do want pounds and shelters to save the lives of pets - and they want to help by adopting.

It's a good news story.

Edited by shel

That's not really an answer to anyone's questions here and with all due respect to a program that is worthy, all you've done is just put another donation link into a thread where people are trying to communicate to you about their existing concerns.

I really don't know how I can address these 'concerns' any more comprehensively?

I've detailed why we have to fundraise. And why I think our service is providing value. I've also given a run down on the ways we communicate with potential donors to do our best to make sure people are supporting us for the right reasons.

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to be a member of PetRescue. I believe we've been made stronger as an industry by uniting under a single brand, but if any group wants to maintain total autonomy, then I wish you every success! I only want to work with rescuers who value their PetRescue membership, and are rooting for us to go from strength to strength.

We take on board all the feedback we get, but we can only make the decisions we believe are the right ones.

And please support our campaign! I want to make fixing the pounds a massive public issue in 2015! :)

If you'd like to check out what we're up to, please see the link here: https://www.chuffed.org/project/petrescue-safe-and-sound-pounds

thumb_8InJVoJAQgRwwCdMr4chuffed_page_image1.png

By Christmas, PetRescue will have helped find forever homes for more than 250,000 rescue pets, from over 750 rescue groups and shelters nationwide. Now just imagine how many more lives would be saved by next Christmas if PetRescue got the nation's 550+ pounds on board too!

Currently only 1% of all council pounds are utilising PetRescue's free services to advertise their pets for adoption.

We believe every pound pet deserves a public face - whether they are lost and needing to be reunited with their owner, or waiting for a new family. So, here's what we're going to do about it...

In 2015, we're focusing our efforts on bringing all healthy and treatable pets online. We want to give all pounds the resources to effectively help animals throughout the impoundment journey and, in turn, give every pet the best chance of leaving through the front door into loving arms.

Our Safe and Sound Pounds project will run throughout 2015 and will focus on outreach and getting all pounds in Australia listing all of their available-for-adoption pets on PetRescue. A component of this is publishing the 'Pound Performance Guide', a free resource detailing how to create an effective program which harnesses the power of the community to make pounds a safe place for pets.

Promoting and publicising this program will allow us to reach every pet lover with information on how to drive reform at their own local council pound. We're extremely excited at the potential to find every pet who needs it, a new forever family!

We are completely transparent in what we do, and how our resources are used. The great news is, the community really do want pounds and shelters to save the lives of pets - and they want to help by adopting.

It's a good news story.

Really? You just used this thread as an advertisement for your new campaign? :confused:

I really don't know how I can address these 'concerns' any more comprehensively?

I've detailed why we have to fundraise. And why I think our service is providing value. I've also given a run down on the ways we communicate with potential donors to do our best to make sure people are supporting us for the right reasons.

No one is under any obligation whatsoever to be a member of PetRescue. I believe we've been made stronger as an industry by uniting under a single brand, but if any group wants to maintain total autonomy, then I wish you every success! I only want to work with rescuers who value their PetRescue membership, and are rooting for us to go from strength to strength.

We take on board all the feedback we get, but we can only make the decisions we believe are the right ones.

And please support our campaign! I want to make fixing the pounds a massive public issue in 2015! :)

I guess I don't see anything acknowledged or answered, you dismissed anyone's question in relation to the obscurity of where the button is placed.

No where has anyone said they don't want PetRescue to work, unless I missed something?

I don't see how your new campaign had anything to do with this thread and find it funny that you have thrown that in though!

"you dismissed anyone's question in relation to the obscurity of where the button is placed."

No - I really didn't. I said (and I think Vix said?) that the button is in the side bar on every page. We don't believe it needs to be moved, as every single donor is directed to a page outlining what donating to us will be supporting.

"I don't see how your new campaign had anything to do with this thread and find it funny that you have thrown that in though! "

Can you see post #25? Or is it only visible to me? :confused:

shel did explain why the button is where it is. I get that people get confused but PetRescue does clearly explain who they are and what they do. If people are just too darn lazy to read that then it is their issue, not PetRescues.

The rescue's name is on the adoption page of every animal. The rescue takes inquiries, sends forms (all with their name and not PetRescue), does the house check etc. If the adopter is told the rescue's name in each of these interactions with the rescue and still says "I got my dog from PetRescue" then blaming PetRescue for not making things clear is unfair. Maybe the rescue groups needs to make their brand "stand" out more when the interact with adoptees?

In all fairness, PetRescue is providing a free space on the internet for all reputable rescues to advertise their animals. As well as that basic premise, they are paying for upkeep of the site, bandwidth to keep the site up and fast, advertising campaigns, etc, etc...

If they have to ask for donations from the public in order to provide rescue with this FREE service, then where they place their Donate button is up to them, yes?

I'm not sure that Joe Public fully reads or understands the wording describing who PetRescue are, or what they do, and could be mistaken in believing that their donations are going towards the actual animals/rescue groups who advertise there. In some places the wording is a little ambiguous - but then again, that's not my call either.

T.

"you dismissed anyone's question in relation to the obscurity of where the button is placed."

No - I really didn't. I said (and I think Vix said?) that the button is in the side bar on every page. We don't believe it needs to be moved, as every single donor is directed to a page outlining what donating to us will be supporting.

"I don't see how your new campaign had anything to do with this thread and find it funny that you have thrown that in though! "

Can you see post #25? Or is it only visible to me? :confused:

Your comment in relation to the placement of the donation button 'A potential link to the profiles had never occurred to us.' your review of the the feedback was quick and defensive considering you had never thought of it.

Edited to add

I just clicked onto the donate button

"Every day, thousands of pets are counting on us to find them a forever home. We know you can't take them all home, but you can help us keep saving lives and stop the killing of healthy and treatable companion animals in Australia’s pounds.

Our not-for-profit organisation empowers pet-loving Australians to adopt more than 5,000 rescue pets every month, and discover the joy of unconditional love a rescue pet brings. That’s saving 5,000+ orphaned pets that may otherwise go unnoticed or, worse still, be euthanised.

It costs just $25 to match one of our rescue pets with their new family.

If you're an animal lover you can save a life."

after the donate button

"When you make a donation to our charity, your contribution is invested in tools, campaigns and programs that will achieve the greatest positive outcomes for rescue pets. All donations over $2 are tax deductible, and a receipt will be emailed to you for tax purposes."

Wow, that is not clear at all, not once do you name yourself (PetRescue) being where the money goes, not once does it recognise rescues are involved, your site has saved 5000 lives this year, and I am glad it costs you $25 to match 'one of our rescue pets', I think you will find it a lot more expensive if they were dumped at your door :mad

I can read post #25

"I have just watched a video that Petrescue have prepared to increase adoptions.

It says "we have rehomed xxxxx cats and dogs", this is also a bit confusing because to me, Petrescue is the website that allows rescue groups to showcase the dogs they have rescued. Isn't it still the rescue groups that actually "rehome" the cats and dogs? They do the homechecks, interviews and place the animals, still taking the responsibility all the way?"

So petrescue is now going to rehome, do homechecks and interviews and place animals? I couldn't find that in the campaign so still don't see the relevance.

shel did explain why the button is where it is. I get that people get confused but PetRescue does clearly explain who they are and what they do. If people are just too darn lazy to read that then it is their issue, not PetRescues.

The rescue's name is on the adoption page of every animal. The rescue takes inquiries, sends forms (all with their name and not PetRescue), does the house check etc. If the adopter is told the rescue's name in each of these interactions with the rescue and still says "I got my dog from PetRescue" then blaming PetRescue for not making things clear is unfair. Maybe the rescue groups needs to make their brand "stand" out more when the interact with adoptees?

Yes, Shel talked about the lay out of her site, and how she hasn't thought of the button placement before this thread was started, but no she did not say she would take a look at the button placement, it is not about what happens once you press the button, it is about the placement.

How is it that you say, you understand how people could get confused, but then say, PR clearly explains things? So to be fair, I don't think you can 100% blame the general traffic on the site as being 'lazy'.

Who would have thought a question could be terrible? First it was 'we need donations' (no one had said otherwise), have been told how much it costs for them to put a n animal for a rescue (can rescues put up how much each dog cost them to get them ready for adoption?) and now it is the viewers fault, these viewers more often than not are not within rescue and would have no clue how it all works, could 'to PetRescue' be added on 'Make a Donation now' button, maybe that would make it clearer?

Since it can't be simply answered, I have had another look at the site,

I clicked on a dog I liked,

saw the PetRescue logo up the top,

a bar to going to other areas (interested in a dog, not the site, so wouldn't click on it),

an advert,

the dogs name,

dogs location,

a little write up on the dog (I am interested in that dog and want to know more),

above the dogs photo is a link to click to find out more (in the same colours as PetRescue logo up the top),

a big red button to donate,

and a little blurb above it saying what PetRescue does, they save lives (no mention that they do that in conjunction with rescue's) - not hard to think that this dog may come from PetRescue.

(if you click on the 'Find out more about this pet' link a pop up says the name of the person who you are emailing and where the person is 'at'),

Now look for the rescue,

the rescues name is the third from the bottom in the 'details' section on the second half of the page,

(not something you would necessarily look at and if you did, and clicked on the rescues name, it sends you to another section of PetRescues, and from there you can see a basic write up of the rescue, and at the bottom of that their website and/or FB link),

if you click on the 'Send enquiry email' (which is below the 'contact'), that link has nothing about contacting the rescue at all (so easily a PetRescue animal) and you can be subscribed to the PetRescue Post and agree to PetRescues terms and conditions.

Are you saying PetRescue going to make a spot so the rescues logo be somewhere near the beginning of the dogs advert? Or it is it up to the reader to scrawl through and not 'be lazy' (they are after an animal after all, not reading what the whole site is about). Please look again at the way you contact a rescue through PetRescue, I am pretty sure it could be confusing, not all enquirers from PetRescue end up going through with adoption applications, so they could easily walk away with the 'PetRescue' has the animal idea, I don't think rescuers are that lax as to have extensive contact with a potential adopter and for the matter to be cleared up, but find that the need to, and the response from Shel, sad, to say the least.

I see PetRescue as a great platform for rescues to advertise their animals needing rehoming, but have found the thought that PetRescue somehow thinks they don't needs rescues to be on their page as one sided, if no rescue put their animals on PetRescue, then they won't get advertisements, or traffic looking at their site. Why demeaning to rescues and not see it as a site that helps rescues, and that rescues help the site? Res

Often people have asked where they can view a rescue animal from, I have most often put up a link to PetRescue, I will no longer be lazy, I will ensure I name specific rescues in their area, give them the links to the rescues specific website, and/or FB page. Since is seems an underlying response of, 'like it or bugger off' attitude.

Before anyone wants to have a problem with the extension of my questions, I have found all responses to be evasive and not having the basic question answered, I have felt the need to explain myself further and defend the general viewer of PetRescue and Rescues who advertise there, plus trying to get it back on topic, instead of another PetRescue campaign.

Edited by Malti

"I can read post #25"

Ok, well in the post, the 'video' being referred to - that's the campaign video from Chuffed. That's why I clarified the reason for the Chuffed campaign.

Does that make sense?

I'm going to try and address as many of the issues you detail as I can, so excuse me for quoting you in bit text;

"...it is not about what happens once you press the button, it is about the placement."

The placement is the same on every page. I don't believe someone who moves from the homepage, to an animal profile and back again is going to think the button does different things on different pages. Added to this above the donation button on every page is a blurb about why donating to PetRescue is a good thing.

I really, honestly don't know how we could make it clearer than this, that donations go to PetRescue?

Screen-Shot-2014-11-21-at-3.34.48-PM.png

Are you saying PetRescue going to make a spot so the rescues logo be somewhere near the beginning of the dogs advert?

This is an excellent idea.

Why demeaning to rescues and not see it as a site that helps rescues, and that rescues help the site?

This is utterly absurd. I have no idea how, when we've literally spent ten years networking with rescue groups to design programs which meet their needs, how anyone could accuse us of not valuing them? I honestly don't believe anyone who has ever dealt with us, or spoken to me would feel that for a moment.

As for groups who don't use us, don't want to use us, or find our services don't suit what they're trying to achieve - it's not a 'like it or bugger off' attitude to say run your group however you want. Surely we can all do our thing? We work hard to meet the needs of our members - but why would I work hard to appease those who don't want to be one?

"I have found all responses to be evasive and not having the basic question answered.."

This is honestly not my intention. However, I do feel like regardless of what I said, you were standing by to pull it to pieces. Have we ever spoken/met? Have you ever used our service? Is there a reason this feels so hostile?

:)shel

What if... instead of the blurb near the Donate button saying...

"PetRescue is a not-for-profit organisation. We rely wholly on the kindness of pet lovers like you to help us save lives. Please donate today."

... we add one little word to it...

"PetRescue is a not-for-profit organisation. We rely wholly on the kindness of pet lovers like you to help us help save lives. Please donate today."

I understand that PetRescue does a whole lot more than just host a site where rescues can showcase their adoptables - but that IS what draws the public to the site, yes? And maybe they actually look at more of what you offer once they are there... or not...

Wording is everything, and I find that a lot of the wording regarding who PetRescue are and what they do is a little ambiguous when read by someone not involved in the industry (read rescue) - it does look like the words have been carefully chosen to have that effect... blurring the lines between PetRescue being both a resource for rescue AND an entity that develops campaigns to raise awareness of the plight of so many homeless animals needing homes Australia-wide. Joe Public definitely reads much of what is there as PetRescue actually being the rehoming service for the animals on the site - not as a resource for the actual rescues that showcase their animals there. I've had a number of non-rescue-affiliated friends look over the site and tell me what they think it is about... and they have ALL thought that PetRescue IS the rescue group that is offering the animals up for adoption.

Just saying...

T.

"I can read post #25"

Ok, well in the post, the 'video' being referred to - that's the campaign video from Chuffed. That's why I clarified the reason for the Chuffed campaign.

Does that make sense?

I'm going to try and address as many of the issues you detail as I can, so excuse me for quoting you in bit text;

"...it is not about what happens once you press the button, it is about the placement."

The placement is the same on every page. I don't believe someone who moves from the homepage, to an animal profile and back again is going to think the button does different things on different pages. Added to this above the donation button on every page is a blurb about why donating to PetRescue is a good thing.

I really, honestly don't know how we could make it clearer than this, that donations go to PetRescue?

Screen-Shot-2014-11-21-at-3.34.48-PM.png

Are you saying PetRescue going to make a spot so the rescues logo be somewhere near the beginning of the dogs advert?

This is an excellent idea.

Why demeaning to rescues and not see it as a site that helps rescues, and that rescues help the site?

This is utterly absurd. I have no idea how, when we've literally spent ten years networking with rescue groups to design programs which meet their needs, how anyone could accuse us of not valuing them? I honestly don't believe anyone who has ever dealt with us, or spoken to me would feel that for a moment.

As for groups who don't use us, don't want to use us, or find our services don't suit what they're trying to achieve - it's not a 'like it or bugger off' attitude to say run your group however you want. Surely we can all do our thing? We work hard to meet the needs of our members - but why would I work hard to appease those who don't want to be one?

"I have found all responses to be evasive and not having the basic question answered.."

This is honestly not my intention. However, I do feel like regardless of what I said, you were standing by to pull it to pieces. Have we ever spoken/met? Have you ever used our service? Is there a reason this feels so hostile?

:)shel

Chuffed link does not answer the question that was asked though, and don't see how the chuffed campaign needed clarifying :confused:

I am so sorry that you have spent ten years networking, busting balls and that you find it utterly absurd that I found it demeaning rescues in some of your replies and you have been asked to appease people who don't want to be PetRescue members, and that it costs you $25 per animal, and that you were accused of fundraising and doing rescues out of money and had to detail your need for fundraising and that people don't want PetRescue to go from strength to strength...... So many more I could add, but hope you get the drift, it was about a placement of a button, not changing life as we know it, seriously, it is a bit much.

'I only want to work with rescuers who value their PetRescue membership and rooting for us. To go off what the OP was about, clearly the donate button question may mean you don't value your membership, and the OP clearly didn't want PetRescue to work out.

Then Vix jumps in and says their was no truth to a donation going to the wrong place, I asked her a question it was ignored and instead addressed another person, even though I was mistaken, but then I guess I am just 'one of those commenting' and you aren't Vix.

None of the above would demean people and extend to an accusation or 10, that were never made about PetRescue.

So I guess that I am the first you have encountered that found your posts demeaning to rescues, they say there always as to be a first....

It was made clear, if you don't like it, leave, be autonomous, don't ring me, I will ring you, all over a donate button question.

I was not standing here waiting to pull things to pieces, I just found the responses highly dramatic with the reasons for the donation button placement and the need for there to be one (which no one ever said shouldn't exist or that you don't need to do certain things to keep PetRescue running).

Have we ever spoken or met - Is that relevant?

Have I ever used your service? - Is that relevant?

Is there a reason this feels so hostile? Yes, most likely, as above, your words are dramatic and sensationalist. No-one is allowed to ask questions, otherwise they are wanting PetRescue to spontaneously explode and not exist, and someone accused you of robbing the blind and rolling in their hard earned cash, in gold castle, when none of that was actually said, then there seemed to be a lot of grandstanding about what you have done, what you do, and how grateful everyone should be for that. Simply by asking about the placement of the button this was the responses given.

Edited to ask if it was relevant if we had spoken/met or if I had used your service.

Edited by Malti

Agreed. Rescues should do their own marketing and branding. If your worried people won't make the distinction, make it yourself! Rescues are the frontline speaking directly with adopters. When you recieve an enquiry through petrescue, make it clear that the animal is with x rescue group, explain what you do, link to your website and how people can help you. Provide excellent customer service and then people can donate to whomever they wish.

In all honesty, PetRescue is a FREE service for rescues, if the 'donate now' button takes away a few dollars from your group every now and again I don't think it would equate to how much value you are receiving from being a member.

Rescuing and rehoming in a regional/rural town over 50% of our adoptions were due to PetRescue! It would have been very difficult to rescue and rehome without their services!

Of course, PetRescue like any other organisation can always improve and constructive criticism is required. However, IMHO PetRescue has responded to all enquiries regarding the placement and why.

If you still aren't happy with it look at other ways you can increase your own donations or ensure you make a clear distinction between x rescue group and PetRescue or promote your own website/Facebook or come up with your own free national website for rescues to advertise on...

Edited by efowler

To be honest I find this thread fairly gobsmacking.

As efowler said, if your adopters are getting confused about who they are adopting from I would probably gently suggest that maybe the marketing and branding of your group needs to be brought up a notch so that it stays in people's minds. Make it clear to your adopters as to how they can donate to you directly if they wish to.

I don't understand all the angst about Shel and Vix's responses here. They may not be exactly what you wanted, but they certainly discussed the concerns raised and the reasons for doing what they do. Personally I found their responses more than satisfactory but if you didn't, and it's really such a big deal, using PetRescue isn't compulsory and you can choose to advertise your dogs in other ways if you wish. I don't get the point of the thread though other than to have a whinge - it certainly wasn't for productive reasons as there's no guarantee that anyone from PetRescue would have seen it. If you have an issue why not contact them directly to discuss?

PetRescue being in existence and being free to use does a hell of a lot towards saving lives in this country and helping rescues move their pets on, not to mention the campaigns they create that presumably cost a significant amount to create and run. There's no shame in them fundraising and soliciting donations just like any other rescue group or not for profit.

Edited by melzawelza