"must Do's" With New Puppy

LuccatheLagotto

Hi All,

I adopted a 9 week old Lagotto puppy (Lucca) 5 days ago and so far he has settled in well.

From day one, he slept through the night without crying or soiling. He has learnt to toilet outside and has so far only weed inside twice, but it was my fault because I couldn’t get the back door unlocked in time. He also knows to sit calmly for his dinner and is usually happily playing by himself when my boyfriend and I leave for and return from work (so I assume that he is busying himself with his toys and not barking when I’m not home?).

I haven’t started any formal training with him yet by having him sit, down, stay, walk on leash etc on command. The only ‘training’ that I’ve done so far is ignoring him when he does something that I don’t like eg. jumping up or crying for attention etc and then praising when he is good. I’ve also taken him to my mum’s house, café and tennis court to meet people.

I am slightly paranoid about screwing him up and don't want to regret not doing something that I should have. I would like to ask the community for some guidance as to what some ‘must do’ things are, in addition to teaching him the common command words, that I should be doing with Lucca to lay the foundations for a solid relationship. I don’t intend to show or compete him but just want a calm and polite family pet that I can take out.

Thanks!

I'll mention the kind of socialization that people often forget about... handling, grooming, nail-clipping, bathing, happy to be touched all over.

Remember you want to make these a positive experience so take it slowly, use treats, and be aware of how your puppy is responding. Some pups need to go much slower than others, especially with the nail clipping and bathing.

Because your dog is a coated breed, you need to include getting him used to the brushes/combs and possibly hair dryer.

Remember just make it short and sweet, a little each day/every second day.

With bathing I used to start just putting the pup in the bath (without any water and just making it a fun place to be. The next time would be the same, except with the tap running (but not filling up); anyway I'm sure you get the drift, just take is slow :)

With brushing and nail clipping you don't want to make it exciting as such, just relaxing and pleasant as it will make your job so much easier in the long run :)

ah! Forgot to say that we need a pic!

Edited by raineth

Proof please...pics are required!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Lagotto's :) Ours is nearly 6yo but we just had a LR puppy stay with us for a week and she was such fun to have around. They are such super fast learners. I agree with what raineth has mentioned - lots of short grooming practice sessions is a great idea. Also have a look at the pinned threads in the Puppy Problems forum. There is some fantastic advice in there.

Have lots of fun with Lucca :D

Sounds like you are doing a pretty good job so far LL.

You didn't mention any play time. As well as all the training are you remembering to enjoy your puppy with lots of games and play time for both of you?

Play can be way less structured than training, and eventually built into your training as a reward. Also a good way to start teaching puppy to have an "off switch"

Enjoy, Lagottos are beautiful :)