Puppy Request

Arlizng

Let's face it... the general public's perception of the Labrador is the "perfect family dog"... and the fact of the matter is that for every Labrador bred well by a good registered breeder, there may well be a dozen or more available that simply aren't.

Doing good research into what you want from your dog, and finding a breeder that is happy to sell you a puppy to suit - and then possibly having to wait some months (or even years) to source said well bred puppy may be a little disheartening for those who want a puppy "now"...

I'm a big lover of all dogs, and would classify myself as far from a novice owner - but I probably wouldn't opt for a Labrador again... it takes a fair bit of work (and patience) to get that "perfect family pet"...

T.

Just because she's a novice owner doesn't mean she can't be a great owner. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

She sounds like she's doing her research ( nothing wrong with wanting a pedigree pup from tested parents over a rescue puppy).

I'd PM lab lover and ask for some recommendations for breeders who do health testing and produce lower drive great pets.

agree. Why do so many dog owners think others will be useless?

Never meant to imply anything of the sort. Everyone was a novice at point. Just pointing out that there are lots of abandoned lab and lab mixes because a lot of people believe the marketing.

Certainly, they could be awesome owners. But dismissing the idea of a puppy class to ME as a lab owner, rings alarm bells.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Hellor Dolers,

A friend of a friend :o recently contacted me regarding wanting to purchase a puppy...specifically labrador . This couple is still in the midst of renovations and i think they are both dog novices (aka no experience with dogs) and i'm a little concerned over what they are getting themselves into.

I typed mini essays explaining a dog is a huge responsibility and they need to be prepared for x, y and z and that i was more than happy to meet in person to discuss any doggie related

queries they have. She is quite content with sit with the internet and do research that way and ignored my and our friends' suggestions regarding puppy classes (to each their own, but i personally found it so helpful).

Now, she is asking for breeders and I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction of a breeder who might be able to support this couple (maybe a puppy application and ongoing support if they would take it). Maybe they would listen to them instead and think it through before making a decision. I did mention that there is a dog lover's show this weekend, if she would like to pop down and chat to other breeders.

I think it would be good if the breeder is located in Sydney, if possible. I hope this is an appropriate channel and if not, please remove this thread.

Thanks in advance to everyone :o

Just because she's a novice owner doesn't mean she can't be a great owner. Everyone was a newbie at one stage.

She sounds like she's doing her research ( nothing wrong with wanting a pedigree pup from tested parents over a rescue puppy).

I'd PM lab lover and ask for some recommendations for breeders who do health testing and produce lower drive great pets.

Never meant to imply anything of the sort. Everyone was a novice at point. Just pointing out that there are lots of abandoned lab and lab mixes because a lot of people believe the marketing.

Certainly, they could be awesome owners. But dismissing the idea of a puppy class to ME as a lab owner, rings alarm bells.

They were getting mini essay's from a friend of a friend, goodness only knows what else they discounted, or took notice of, all information is 3rd hand. I've never taken a puppy class in my life. I am currently mentoring a new dog owner who bought one of my pups, she is doing a great job, no puppy class there either, most wouldn't know what to do with a greyhound anyway.

and I have seen young out of control dogs in the hundreds in pounds, I worked in one for 10 years.

I understand people's alarm about being judgemental,etc, but i don't think that is people's intentions in the end.

We want the new puppy owners to be armed with knowledge and ready to work with the puppy to get that 'perfect family dog' , which to mean means happy owners, happy loved dog, am i right?

I write mini essays to her, because she writes mini essays to me peppering with numerous questions which i endeavour to answer her to the best that i can. :o

Hence i said i would like to post to the forum to get a supportive breeder and other dog lover's feedback.

She is aware that I've posted this thread and knows i'm a dog lover posting on a dog lover forum.

Ultimately. we all want a good happy outcome for dog and owner alike. :)

Replies to this thread make you wonder how any of us first time Labrador puppy owners pre internet and puppy preschool days ever managed to survive and successfuly raise Lab pups :laugh: and go on to own multiple Labs over many many years. We were all first time Labrador owners, who fell madly in love with the breed and love their exuberance and joy for life and could never imagine owning any other breed. Yes they are exuberant (which is what I love about them) and some can be boisterous and some youngsters can get out of control without boundaries and guidelines and appropriate physical and mental stimulation and effort put in by their families to include them and not relegate them to the backyard neglected and starved of family companionship.

The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog in the U.S., Canada, UK and up until recently Australia. Why is that so I wonder? and given their popularity one would think that by "DOL" standards, there would be many more abandoned/surrendered Labs because of idiotic first time/noivce Lab puppy owners cannot cope with raising a Lab. Many Labs are raised by first time novice dog owners with young families who survive :laugh: with many falling in love with the breed for life throughout generations in their families. With Labs being so popular, the number of them being abandoned/surrendered is actually extremely low.

Also not all pups/youngster are maniacs (Marley like) and it does a disservice to this wonderful breed to paint that picture. My current youngster who is now 5 years old was the most chilled out pup at home with brilliant bite inhibition who has never nipped me or my family which includes my grandchildren, even when he was teething and he has hardly destroyed anything and majority of his puppy toys lasted years. Out of the 4 pups I have raised, I have only had one challenging lovable scoundrel who destroyed his toys within minutes and beds in record time and got up to all sorts of mischief, but he had the most beautiful bomb proof temperament, was a very funny and extremely entertaining boy :laugh: who was loved by all, even at his naughtiest best :laugh: and he developed into the best behaved adult and was the most awesome Lab who I still miss dearly to this day :(

DOLers negative opinions on Labradors are at stark contrast to their ongoing worldwide popularity with many Labs being owned by first time/novice owners, the majority of whom do a pretty good job of raising their pups.

Contrary to advice, reputable Lab breeders will sell pups to families with young kids and novice/first time dog or Lab owners and rightly so. Labs are wonderful family members, great with kids and yes some kids get knocked over by excited boisterous Labs, so what, most kids get right back up and carry on, it is the helicopter parents that don't cope. Labs have a well deserved reputation for being great with kids and there are far more things to worry about raising kids than worrying about the odd knock over by an exhuberant dog, whether it be a Lab or some other breed. Hopefully your friend will find a reputable Lab breeder who breeds to the Lab standard which includes the legendary Lab temperament. :thumbsup:

Speaking only for myself, if I were looking for a lab as a pet, I'd search out a young one who's already showed some behaviour formation.

With that in mind, I checked the breeders' pages... & I'd be looking into a 7 month old little bloke who's said to be 'biddable' and had 'obedience training'. As well as a girl, born in 2013, called Caddie:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/labrador-retriever.asp

I think if they have done their research and can be put in contact with a very good supportive breeder then why not????

One question I often ask is do you love your garden??? As we know Labs love to landscape and I wouldn't recommend one for someone with a show garden. And also mention that Labs are a WORKING dog, they are bred to run and work all day. Yes they are lovely and yes they make great guide and assistance dogs, however they are working dogs and can be very energetic and require training to be well behaved. - Yes I have had people just think Labs are just well behaved - I kid you not! - and are shocked at the mini tornado's that rip through their lives.

I think if they have done their research and can be put in contact with a very good supportive breeder then why not????

One question I often ask is do you love your garden??? As we know Labs love to landscape and I wouldn't recommend one for someone with a show garden. And also mention that Labs are a WORKING dog, they are bred to run and work all day. Yes they are lovely and yes they make great guide and assistance dogs, however they are working dogs and can be very energetic and require training to be well behaved. - Yes I have had people just think Labs are just well behaved - I kid you not! - and are shocked at the mini tornado's that rip through their lives.

Yes.

Ernie is one of the nicest, happiest, friendliest and loving dogs I've ever owned. He adores all living things.

But I am fully committed to his daily walks - rain, shine or even chemotherapy days. He needs physical exercise.

More importantly, like all dogs, he needs boundaries and rules. Even more so, he WANTS a job - any job. So he is learning obedience skills. I have had friends ask me why, once he's mastered 'sit/stay' why I keep reinforcing those every day and adding to his skills. Because mentally, he needs that wiorkout, even more than his walk. I may skimp on his walk and he adjusts, but if I haven't given him his mental routine - he becomes bored and destructive. It's not me showing off what I can teach him -- he wants to show me how much he can learn.

In addition, every day, he tests to see if yesterday's rule still applies today. He is the eternal optimist but patience is a virtue when it comes to my boy. My Kelpie? Got told once and that was it. My amstaff, got told every day for a week and then tested occasionally. Ernie tests every day and is cheeky about it. But that's part of that labrador charm.

I adore him and have always loved the breed - but the drive to be useful as well as loved and exercised is a very strong one and needs to be considered.

Replies to this thread make you wonder how any of us first time Labrador puppy owners pre internet and puppy preschool days ever managed to survive and successfuly raise Lab pups :laugh: and go on to own multiple Labs over many many years. We were all first time Labrador owners, who fell madly in love with the breed and love their exuberance and joy for life and could never imagine owning any other breed. Yes they are exuberant (which is what I love about them) and some can be boisterous and some youngsters can get out of control without boundaries and guidelines and appropriate physical and mental stimulation and effort put in by their families to include them and not relegate them to the backyard neglected and starved of family companionship.

The Labrador Retriever is the most popular dog in the U.S., Canada, UK and up until recently Australia. Why is that so I wonder? and given their popularity one would think that by "DOL" standards, there would be many more abandoned/surrendered Labs because of idiotic first time/noivce Lab puppy owners cannot cope with raising a Lab. Many Labs are raised by first time novice dog owners with young families who survive :laugh: with many falling in love with the breed for life throughout generations in their families. With Labs being so popular, the number of them being abandoned/surrendered is actually extremely low.

Also not all pups/youngster are maniacs (Marley like) and it does a disservice to this wonderful breed to paint that picture. My current youngster who is now 5 years old was the most chilled out pup at home with brilliant bite inhibition who has never nipped me or my family which includes my grandchildren, even when he was teething and he has hardly destroyed anything and majority of his puppy toys lasted years. Out of the 4 pups I have raised, I have only had one challenging lovable scoundrel who destroyed his toys within minutes and beds in record time and got up to all sorts of mischief, but he had the most beautiful bomb proof temperament, was a very funny and extremely entertaining boy :laugh: who was loved by all, even at his naughtiest best :laugh: and he developed into the best behaved adult and was the most awesome Lab who I still miss dearly to this day :(

DOLers negative opinions on Labradors are at stark contrast to their ongoing worldwide popularity with many Labs being owned by first time/novice owners, the majority of whom do a pretty good job of raising their pups.

Contrary to advice, reputable Lab breeders will sell pups to families with young kids and novice/first time dog or Lab owners and rightly so. Labs are wonderful family members, great with kids and yes some kids get knocked over by excited boisterous Labs, so what, most kids get right back up and carry on, it is the helicopter parents that don't cope. Labs have a well deserved reputation for being great with kids and there are far more things to worry about raising kids than worrying about the odd knock over by an exhuberant dog, whether it be a Lab or some other breed. Hopefully your friend will find a reputable Lab breeder who breeds to the Lab standard which includes the legendary Lab temperament. :thumbsup:

Thank you for your reply. And that is our aim too (reputable Lab breeder)

Speaking only for myself, if I were looking for a lab as a pet, I'd search out a young one who's already showed some behaviour formation.

With that in mind, I checked the breeders' pages... & I'd be looking into a 7 month old little bloke who's said to be 'biddable' and had 'obedience training'. As well as a girl, born in 2013, called Caddie:

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/labrador-retriever.asp

Thanks! I've forwarded that onto her while I'm waiting to hear back from someone i've pmed.

Those are lovely dogs. That 7 month old pup has me seriously tempted. What's one more lab pup?

They are so very cute. :laugh:

That is what i want to avoid for them...as long as they are aware of whats to come, they can enjoy the rest of puppyhood and not fret about the state of their new landscaped garden...or they could luck out and get one that doesn't like gardening. :)

Yes.

Ernie is one of the nicest, happiest, friendliest and loving dogs I've ever owned. He adores all living things.

But I am fully committed to his daily walks - rain, shine or even chemotherapy days. He needs physical exercise.

More importantly, like all dogs, he needs boundaries and rules. Even more so, he WANTS a job - any job. So he is learning obedience skills. I have had friends ask me why, once he's mastered 'sit/stay' why I keep reinforcing those every day and adding to his skills. Because mentally, he needs that wiorkout, even more than his walk. I may skimp on his walk and he adjusts, but if I haven't given him his mental routine - he becomes bored and destructive. It's not me showing off what I can teach him -- he wants to show me how much he can learn.

In addition, every day, he tests to see if yesterday's rule still applies today. He is the eternal optimist but patience is a virtue when it comes to my boy. My Kelpie? Got told once and that was it. My amstaff, got told every day for a week and then tested occasionally. Ernie tests every day and is cheeky about it. But that's part of that labrador charm.

I adore him and have always loved the breed - but the drive to be useful as well as loved and exercised is a very strong one and needs to be considered.

Thank you. I think that applies to many dogs...specifically working dogs. :) Thank you for your reply. I've passed that on too.

My Lab girl's "job" for 7 years was to help me raise rescue foster pups... she was definitely designed for it... endless energy and a love for playing... lol!

2-10-2010-winston109.jpg

17-11-2010-beagles_cav103.jpg

EOS2009_10_07_pups025.jpg

EOS2009_06_26_JakeDex049.jpg

EOS2009_05_24_lilly049.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

17-09-2011-molly044.jpg

T.

Oh my,those photos are so beautiful! Is it alright if i show those photos to her?

Thanks everyone for your replies, i'll look through the breeder's pages later today. :D

Sure - you can show your friend the photos... you might also note the lean body on my Lab girl... best not to let them get too fat, yes?

My girl was back yard bred and may have a smidge of something else in the mix (we think Dingo), and she's probably a great example of what NOT to get unless you are looking for a high drive, high energy dog that will find things to do if not stimulated enough. Luckily around 200 foster pups over 7 years gave her a big enough job to keep her stimulated... lol!

She also sheds all year around... another thing to consider if your friend is a neat freak... *grin*

T.

Hellor Dolers,

A friend of a friend :o recently contacted me regarding wanting to purchase a puppy...specifically labrador . This couple is still in the midst of renovations and i think they are both dog novices (aka no experience with dogs) and i'm a little concerned over what they are getting themselves into.

I typed mini essays explaining a dog is a huge responsibility and they need to be prepared for x, y and z and that i was more than happy to meet in person to discuss any doggie related

queries they have. She is quite content with sit with the internet and do research that way and ignored my and our friends' suggestions regarding puppy classes (to each their own, but i personally found it so helpful).

Now, she is asking for breeders and I'm hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction of a breeder who might be able to support this couple (maybe a puppy application and ongoing support if they would take it). Maybe they would listen to them instead and think it through before making a decision. I did mention that there is a dog lover's show this weekend, if she would like to pop down and chat to other breeders.

I think it would be good if the breeder is located in Sydney, if possible. I hope this is an appropriate channel and if not, please remove this thread.

Thanks in advance to everyone :o

They were getting mini essay's from a friend of a friend, goodness only knows what else they discounted, or took notice of, all information is 3rd hand. I've never taken a puppy class in my life. I am currently mentoring a new dog owner who bought one of my pups, she is doing a great job, no puppy class there either, most wouldn't know what to do with a greyhound anyway.

and I have seen young out of control dogs in the hundreds in pounds, I worked in one for 10 years.

Well ok then. I'll shut up.

I don't think labs are particularly challenging as they love to work for and please their people.

Personally I'd find a more independent breed a challenge.

With regard to training food, toy and pack drive are important and most labs have these in abundance (especially food)

My lab is my first real puppy (our other dogs were slightly older puppies) and while she was quite full on, her craziness and eager to train attitude got me into dog sports and she has been a great first agility/sport dog and got me hooked on it!

Edited by aussielover

Those are lovely dogs. That 7 month old pup has me seriously tempted. What's one more lab pup?

What's one more lab if there's a match between the realities of someone's lifestyle & the particular behavioral traits of a particular lab! :)

Way back, within a family setting, Caddie the girl would've got me to check her out further. Also the 'biddable' 7 month boy ... who's started his obedience ... if there was a lifestyle where a trained lab would thrive alongside its owners

our family's first family dog was a lab ..way back 50 years ago ... She just was treated like a(outside, mostly) dog ..and we all survived very well. I remember going to town and collecting this puppy out of the freight car - she came from breeders in "the city" ... *sigh* Brilliant kids' dog /nanny -.

Labrador are a GREAT dog for the first time owner. A good puppy from a reputable breeder and they're hard to mess up. Point them in the direction of a great breeder, a good puppy school or local trainer and stop being so judgmental. We all started somewhere.

If they're located in Sydney I recommend getting them to contact K9Pro and do their puppy course. Best help they'll be able to get! http://www.k9pro.com.au/