Abandoned Dog

DogzRule

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if next time she showed up you just had cash ready (however much you were willing/able to spend) and offered to buy the dog outright whether she would sell. Some people will go on and on about how something is worth $xxxx but suddenly if you turn up with cash in hand and are serous about buying, they will sell.

However, I would seriously want some sort of bill of sale or document indicating the dog was legally yours if you did end up buying it. Even if by chance she gives it to you. I could see this type of person being one who then turns around and accuses you of 'stealing' her dog and then absconding with both it and the money.

Poor dog and what an unfortunate situation for you. It would be hard not to enable her neglectful behaviour when there's a hungry dog in your yard.

I wonder if next time she showed up you just had cash ready (however much you were willing/able to spend) and offered to buy the dog outright whether she would sell. Some people will go on and on about how something is worth $xxxx but suddenly if you turn up with cash in hand and are serous about buying, they will sell.

However, I would seriously want some sort of bill of sale or document indicating the dog was legally yours if you did end up buying it. Even if by chance she gives it to you. I could see this type of person being one who then turns around and accuses you of 'stealing' her dog and then absconding with both it and the money.

Poor dog and what an unfortunate situation for you. It would be hard not to enable her neglectful behaviour when there's a hungry dog in your yard.

I would write something yourself and get her to sign, don't rely on her doing that, be ready with it next time she comes back, I would be inclined to give her $200 as $100 doesn't really buy much these days.

Who owns the house next door? bit odd if it is empty and she keeps coming back.

Good luck.

Maree

CPR

I can also vouch for the girls at the local pound/RSPCA, and the rangers here that I know are pretty sensible too. I don't think you would be the first person to adopt a dog you were handing in that wasn't legally yours. Only reason I've seen a dog not placed on hold for a prospective home is when the prospective home was not good enough. It used to be 8 days for unchipped dogs, 14 for chipped.

Could you 'plant the seed' of keeping the dog because you're becoming attached to the silly dog and perhaps talk about how friendly it is and how loving and that there's not a mean bone in it's body. Maybe that it would lick somebody to death first so maybe she would be best not to spend anymore money on it since she wants a guard dog after all, and maybe eventually she would sell to you for a minimal amount, and yes, as others have said, definitely have a receipt of sale ready so all she has to do is sign :D

I don't see how you can take the dog to the pound as abandoned when you have told her you will look after it & if she comes around for the dog she will be furious.

The dog will not be microchipped but you can get that checked the vet nurse should do that for you & not charge for it.

Her whole behaviour has been awful & not acceptable at all but yours wasn't the wisest either. Worm the dog, that is cheap & easy.

Then I would phone her & tell her that you have got fond of the dog & offer her a reasonable sum for the kind of dog ? What breed ? Is it a recognised breed ? Any papers or proof ? Pedigree ? Purchase receipt ?

If she says no then tell her you cannot continue to look after the dog for her & she must come & get it. If she does you must tell her that leaving it in a house where she doesn't live is not happening as you will report this.

I think she will sell you the dog. Be tough, she is lying about the $3000.

No danger of the pup being caught up in BSL if the pound is involved?

I think you need to tell the person to come and get the pup or to give it to you. If she just puts it back next door, I would then call the pound/RSPCA.

I'm still trying to work out what breed/colour is worth 3K. I know Frenchies go for that much and, as I said, blue amstaffs but I agree, she's either exaggerating or she got ripped off.

Unless of course, I don't in fact, know everything. :D

Neo Mastiffs, Cane Corso can be.

Some of the other breeds are going higher in price.

:(

I haven't said because I didn't know whether dogzrule wanted to share the breed at this stage but in that general vicinity of breeds yes.

Likely overpriced though if she did pay that much for it

I had not read your posts, KC.

Just happened I had been talking to a Neo owner about prices. In fact my quote was for pet :eek:

I think exactly what Christina said.

You offered to look after it. You can't surrender it to pound on her. Maybe she isn't coming as often as she knows you are looking after it.

I think a conversation needs to be had regarding the plan for this dog long term. If the plan doesn't suit you, hand it back and walk away.

If you can make a plan that suits both of you. Do it. Maybe she can pay board? Or supply the food etc.

Wow. I wasn't aware prices went that high. Obviously.

But then I just read a piece in the smh telling me that 'beagaliers' and 'groodles' are that much. And so is my supposedly 'rare' chocolate labrador.

I need to educate myself more.

And the advice to the OP given by the folks in this thread is spot on. Make sure you cover yourself legally every way you can.

You need to talk to her first, you said you would look after it, so you cant just take it to the pound now without telling her.

Tell her you are getting attached to the dog, would she consider selling it.If not say you cant keep it any more as its not fair . Then see what happens.