Which Breed Is Right For The First Time Dog Owner?

Pretty Miss Emma

After reading a few threads over time where whichever breed being discussed is referred to as "not good for first time dog owners" or being hard work for first timers, and owning a breed where many breeders don't like selling puppies to first timers, it got me to wondering which breeds are good for first time dog owners and why?

I own BC's and my first dog was a BC. Certainly I can say it's not a breed that you want someone getting in to without having done their research and not every BC is appropriate for a first time dog owner. Certainly Kenzie, if she had gone to a first time dog owner I think she would have ended up in a shelter possibly (she was HARD work as a baby!!!). But Hamish, he would be the perfect dog for a first time owner. So within my breed I would certainly say research needs to be done, and individual dogs temperaments need to be taken in to account.

But, are there some breeds that are "perfect for the first time dog owner" that I just don't know about because my interests lie elsewhere? Just curious!!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think which breed is right for the first time dog owner would very much depend on the personality of the owner as much as the breed. It's less about the experience of the person and more about how their personality matches that of the dog they choose. Both my dogs are breeds which are generally considered to be not for the novice dog owner but I feel I've raised them very well whereas other breeds that are often reccomended for newer owners would drive me crazy.

I think the issue with them is a lot of dodgy back yard breeding and people who want a cute toy not a dog getting hold of them and not treating them like dogs KC. Bred and treated correctly they are not nasty or snappy and are easier to manage and less likely to push limits than many other breeds.

I'm not sure there is one "size" fits all. I often have first time owners in my classes with dogs that I probably would not have recommended - some of them start off fairly clueless to be honest but some of them also turn out to be super dedicated, keen to learn and make for great dog owners. Added to that, there is as much within breed variation as there is between breed variation. A dedicated owner plus a breeder who can match, advise and support really opens the options up.

I had one ACD (family pet in my teens and agility dog in her youth) for 17 years, followed by a break of 2 years. I will always be grateful that the Dalmatian breeder of our choice let us have a pup - one full-time student and one full-time worker in a rented house interstate. We demonstrated we were committed, that was enough for them and they have been repaid 10-fold with his successes as a performance dog, advertising star and as our family member.

My first dog was a Rottweiler, so many people told me (after I already had her) that it was a bad choice :mad That " bad choice" changed so many peoples mind on the so called aggressive, vicious Rottweilers. She was fantastic with other dogs of all shapes and sizes & loved people. Sadly she only lived until she was 8. She was from a back yard breeder with serious allergies and other health issues, so no idea where her wonderful temperament came from, but she was a lovely first dog.

There are far too many variables to say a dog is just not suitable for a first time dogs owner. I had Rottis then Dobes, many may say not suitable for a first time dog owner. We had very few issues. Yep if I had them now I think I could be a better owner and get more from them obedience wise as I have learnt heaps since then, but I still made a good owner.

Whippets can be arses too if you get the wrong one so not all of them are suitable for first time owners either

There are far too many variables to say a dog is just not suitable for a first time dogs owner. I had Rottis then Dobes, many may say not suitable for a first time dog owner. We had very few issues. Yep if I had them now I think I could be a better owner and get more from them obedience wise as I have learnt heaps since then, but I still made a good owner.

Whippets can be arses too if you get the wrong one so not all of them are suitable for first time owners either

And then there are the sighthound issues with recall, small pets and being a bit more sensitive, generally. Regardless of the breed, if the first time owner doesn't take the time to educate themselves, they're likely going to run into problems.

What's easy for one person to manage could be a terrible choice for another so I don't think any particular breed is "best" for first time owners.

And then there are the sighthound issues with recall, small pets and being a bit more sensitive, generally. Regardless of the breed, if the first time owner doesn't take the time to educate themselves, they're likely going to run into problems.

What's easy for one person to manage could be a terrible choice for another so I don't think any particular breed is "best" for first time owners.

Agreed

I think it's all about research, and avoiding impulse buys.

Know your own limitations. Decide what's important.

I love labs and grew up with them but Mum did all the work, obviously because I never remember my childhood labs being as full on as the pup I have now. And he's chilled and pretty calm - which is what I asked for.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I agree its all about research and having someone prepared to put the time in. I think if someone is spending a couple of years researching and have their heart really set on one breed, why should being a 'novice' stop them? I know people that have been in dogs for 20 or 30 years that I wouldn't want getting certain breeds because they don't suit that kind of dog, and some people that have never owned dogs that would suit those breeds.

I think it all comes down to the owner's expectations, and the individual dog.

Thus it makes sense that researching what you want from a dog, and then researching which breeds may have those traits, then researching which breeders of that breed do their utmost to breed for those traits (as well as all the relevant health tests for their breed)... will result in you being more likely to end up with the dog you have been dreaming of.

T.

Only dog that's ever bitten my daughter was a maltese and one of the few dogs that I've been bitten by mini poodle. From what I've seen both can be nasty, snappy little breeds if not properly raised.

But that can be said of any breed. I've worked with dogs for most of my adult life, as a kennel hand and a vet nurse. The only dog I've ever been seriously in trouble with was a Bassett hound who attacked me when I opened his kennel door. There was no warning. I later found out he was a top sire but a total asshole of a dog. I personally dont like them but I don't expect there are many others with those traits.

I think the biggest mistake many first time owners make is assuming all dogs are the same in terms of temperament & traits, & that the only difference is in appearance. Different breeds are suited to different people (a lesson I learnt the hard way :o )

I don't think breed is necessarily the issue more about matching dog to owner. My first dog living out of home was a pitbull I put in a lot of work with him, took him everywhere and he was a perfect dog. Both my best friends first dogs were rotti's and they did very well with them.

However I personally wouldn't recommend a poodle for a first time dog owner (except maybe a toy), they are extreemly intelligent and will walk all over someone if they don't know what they are doing. I have groomed more poodles that bite their owners than any other breed. Then there's coat management and health issues on top of that.