Ticks - Dumb Question

I live in the Central Coast NSW.

Can someone please patiently answer:

A) when exactly IS tick season?

B) do I need to treat all year round for fleas etc as well?

I'm currently using Advantix on breeder recommendations. It's supposed to help with the flying bitey things, and fleas over a month but ticks only every fortnight.

C) Would an alternative treatment outside of 'tick season' be less harsh on my dog? And would it keep the other insects away as well?

I live in the Central Coast NSW.

Can someone please patiently answer:

A) when exactly IS tick season?

B) do I need to treat all year round for fleas etc as well?

I'm currently using Advantix on breeder recommendations. It's supposed to help with the flying bitey things, and fleas over a month but ticks only every fortnight.

C) Would an alternative treatment outside of 'tick season' be less harsh on my dog? And would it keep the other insects away as well?

Tick season seems to be getting longer. I live on the leafy North Shore with lots of possums!My vet told me to be extra vigilant between September and April.

In that time I used to treat her every two weeks with advantix and a tick collar. As she got older I stopped the Advantix, used the tick collar and checked her twice a day. Nothing is better than giving your dog a nice massage and check between the toes, in the groin and under arms, in ears and up nose, and the eyes. It was our time and she loved it. It's better to go with touch rather than sight.

As for fleas I used to use Comfortis when she had the fleas. Knocked them dead quickly.

I don't believe there is a tick " off season" anymore really. I use Advantix every 2 weeks all year around. Simply not worth risking it. I also do a tick check at least once or twice daily. As far as fleas go neither of mine have ever had them :)

Just had to edit to add if your dog is a swimmer as both my are daily swimmers, collars & sprays are ineffective.

Edited by BC Crazy

Yeah ticks are pretty much year round now, in fact last year I got 4 ticks myself in one day in August! I mostly use Permoxin on my dogs as one of my girls has a bad reaction to Advantix, I put it in a spray bottle and leave it under the patio and spray their undercarriage especially before we head out on walks in the bushy areas. It also has the advantage of costing around $1 per spray bottle which is handy!

I mostly use Permoxin on my dogs as one of my girls has a bad reaction to Advantix,

They have the same main ingredient so its strange the dog is okay with Permoxin. Usually dogs can't tolerate either if they react.

yeah I don't know either, maybe it's the imidacloprid that bothers her for some reason or the combo of two chemicals at the same time or maybe just the fact that it's a spot on(she becomes very skin touch sensitive around her shoulders). Whatever the reason the reaction is very clear so we just avoid it now.

I mostly use Permoxin on my dogs as one of my girls has a bad reaction to Advantix,

They have the same main ingredient so its strange the dog is okay with Permoxin. Usually dogs can't tolerate either if they react.

Maybe it is the carrier in the Advantix that her dog can't tolerate

yeah I don't know either, maybe it's the imidacloprid that bothers her for some reason or the combo of two chemicals at the same time or maybe just the fact that it's a spot on(she becomes very skin touch sensitive around her shoulders). Whatever the reason the reaction is very clear so we just avoid it now.

[/quot

Yeh, there's no way I'd risk it too. Permoxin is good stuff. A PITA but it works and more cost efficient too which is always a bonus!

I moved to where I am to escape the ticks but it won't be long until they're in my immediate area. I only have to drive literally five minutes and there are ticks now. They are moving closer each year.

I just left the Central Coast to live in Melbourne 3 days ago, I lived on the CC for almost 50 years, the last 30 in Terrigal. The CC is tick central, paralysis ticks are rife and getting worse every year. There is no tick "season" anymore there they are all year round. My vet at Erina Heights has a board that they write on reporting tick cases for each month in that clinic and it's an eye opener to see how many there are. I see you live at Point Clare, I grew up there and it's still quite a bushy suburb so yes you will need to be vigilant with daily body checks. I used Advantix on my old dog and he still got paralysis ticks, almost lost him once :( With my greyhounds I can't use any spot ons as they had allergic reactions to them, so it was daily checks. I pulled one of Stan a few weeks ago. What ever preventative you use still check daily, so glad I don't have to live with those evil creatures ever again.

Thank you everyone. This is scary stuff. I'm glad I asked the question as I really did not know these details.

My last dog was my ex's and I was pretty firmly told to butt out when it came to her care - she wore a flea collar and got Frintlibe when he remembered. Very lucky with her.

I've taken to brushing Ernie nightly. It's an excuse to get him used to the process and allow Me to run my hands over him. I'm trying to desensitise his feet - so tick checking is easy.

The vet at Point Ckare has a similar board. 7 cases last month in his little suburb alone. :(

Edited by Stressmagnet