Demodectic Mange

ellz

A friend has a puppy with pretty severe generalised Demodex. I've had no experience with the condition so have nothing to offer her.

Puppy has been prescribed daily oral Ivomectin at 1 ml per kg, but that's about it.

Just support the puppy with a good diet (don't keep changing things around), the ivermectin will work and the immune system just needs time to fight the mites off. The only time they don't do well is if the puppy has a problem with its immune system. Don't chuck a whole heap more chemicals at it the ivermectin is enough (and this is on advice from dermatology vet).

Just be aware... I kept wondering why my puppy was taking longer than usual... I was thinking I was still having a few issues with demodex but turned out my puppy was just developing atopic dermatitis. If your friend is seeing no improvement after a couple of months (and it can take that long) and the vet is getting no mites on scrapings (though this isn't unusual they can be tricky to get) then consider that the pup could have developed other skin problems.

Yep I used ivermectin on a foster that had it. The vet started her on a low dose and it didn't seem to be working, so they more than doubled the dose and that is when we started to really see a difference.

Good food - mine are mostly fed raw meat (VAN at the moment but I think they were on BARF back then). I also gave her eggs and sardines in oil every few days.

The vet suggested the Malaseb but I watered it down heaps - like 5mls shampoo to a bucket of water and then washed her with the water in the bucket before rinsing her off and only a few times over the few months that she had it..

Then again Zippy never seemed itchy, so I didn't see the need for the Malaseb.

And why would that be Rebanne?

Thank you for the constructive input from the other posters. I believe the dog is on a reasonable diet with very little dry food. I will tell them to watch the Ivermectin and monitor progress. From what I understand it has only been on this for a few weeks. I think they have been adding the Augustine's Approved supplement to fresh raw food in an attempt to support the immune system so I will suggest they leave things as they are for a few more weeks. If no change at this time, I will suggest something new.

I did warn them that any kind of resolution would probably take some time and to expect setbacks if the fine balance was upset.

• 1 month later...

I just used Advocate recently for one small spot of demodex once a month for 4 consecutive months. The PI says if gives a 100% cure rate after 2 to 4 administrations

Advocate is useful for localised demodex but the success rate for treating generalised demodex is reasonably poor despite the claims.

I'll be minding a dog with Demodex shortly, I met her last night and she's very sore and sorry after years of neglect and a vet that just treated her with cortisone :mad

She's on Telfast tabs as well which really helps - the rescue vet in this case is excellent and very experienced with mange. This poor little dog scratches and whimpers, smells terrible. I can't wait to see her better.

I've had a few dogs with mange before. Takes about 3 months to get better.

Malaseb baths every couple of days at first plus the Ivomectin and a very good quality natural diet.

They can come down with it again - one of the dogs I had with mange was eventually rehomed in good health but got it again a year later and he was returned to me for the care regime (another 3 months) which the new owners couldn't cope with. Two years on and he's still good.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad