Third Dog Permit In Sa

Red Fox

Could anyone please tell me if there are any loopholes to getting a permit for a third dog when one immediate neighbour won't agree?

In this case the person has a long history of making noise related complaints to council and police re other neighbours music, cars, kids, barking dogs, etc, and also has a personal dislike of dogs.

Thank you.

Every council area is different. When I got mine they didn't even ask neighbours but came and did a property inspection and checked up on the history of dogs that I had registered with them previously and if there had been any complaints.

I had one area that the council notified the neighbours we had applied and gave them a certain amount of time to object and another area where we had to supply a letter from each neighbor whose yard adjoined ours that they were ok with us having 3 dogs.

We are lucky here in Goolwa , getting a third dog permit is fairly easy provided you have a history of no complaints made and proper fencing and that they are registered (or about to be)

1st time we applied for one just had to get the application ticked off.

2nd time we applied ( as once you go back to 2 dogs, and you get another one, you have to reapply again) they did come out and check out our property and asked a few questions like how we dispose of their poo's etc. The guy that came out did want to meet them, but i only took the 2 younger ones outside as Renae is getting old and cranky at times and just kept her inside.

We were approved but of course theres conditions on the applications that it can be revoked if they become a nuisance with barking, getting out etc

Both times that we are aware off they haven't gone to any of our neighbours. One of ours doesn't like us and would probably say something negative if she was asked.

Heaps of dogs around here aren't even registered and are always out roaming around.

Every council area is different. When I got mine they didn't even ask neighbours but came and did a property inspection and checked up on the history of dogs that I had registered with them previously and if there had been any complaints.

This is what happened with us. No problems at all.

I have another friend in a different council area that had to get the neighbours 2 houses either side to sign something and even though 1 complained she still got the permit. I guess they figure if it is only 1 person and everyone else says it is fine that it could just be a difficult or dog hating person.

I've not had experience with this myself but had a friend who could not get permission for a 3rd dog in Mitcham council because one neighbour didn't like dogs (although had not registered a complaint about her dogs in the past??). "I don't like dogs" was apparently a good enough reason for the council to turn her down. She was unable to get this sorted so she ended up moving to another council area specifically so she could get the 3rd dog!

I have another friend in a different council area that had to get the neighbours 2 houses either side to sign something and even though 1 complained she still got the permit. I guess they figure if it is only 1 person and everyone else says it is fine that it could just be a difficult or dog hating person.

This is what I was wondering. This neighbour has complained to council about our dogs barking (and everyone else's in the street really). Council no longer take them too seriously, however there is a record.

In this area all immediate neighbours are required to sign a consent form. I'm 100% certain this person will kick up a stink for no other reason than that she can. Would like to find a way around it if possible.

:idea: Steal their mail if they post out consent forms. Forge signature if you have to approach them with forms. Joking as I cannot think of anything you can do.

Maybe informally have a chat & ask for advice from your dog person who works for the council & explain the situation in advance.

If you don't know what their procedure is phone your council & ask. You don't have to give your name & details. Maybe they only come out & look around in which case you may be ok.

Some neighbours are a nightmare.

I'm in WA but this is what happened to me. One neighbour objected (even though his dog is the worst!) but the council didn't particularly care. They just told him if he had an issue to keep a diary and make a formal complaint. They gave me a permit. :)

The issue is like already mentioned if you get the permit it is no guarantee for ever so you still need to be prepared for what to do if they refuse the next time around & what your plan of attack will be .

Loop hole won't help you if the neighbour kicks up a stink & the rule must be inforced .

So do it properly with your council there the ones to keep on yourside

We tried to get a third dog permit through West Torrens Council.

Paid $50 and put in the application, there was nothing about neighbors consent or approval. It came back as a firm no, you are only allowed two dogs not three, the explanation was they don't approve of more than two dogs no matter what the situation. We have a big house and land and it was small westie and a cairn with wanting another cairn so not big dogs.

They wouldn't discuss it further and were very unhelpful.

Thats terrible cleveland... and really rude they took your $50 to put in an application with them if they were always going say NO icon_smile_mad.gif

I actually don't recall paying anything both times to put our application in for a 3rd dog. Im pretty sure we didn't have to pay anything (other than the small transfer of rego fee from our latest dog's former ownership to our details with the council)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Forms have arrived. Pretty straightforward - a space for our details, a space for name and address and signature of each neighbour (up to 4) plus a box for them to tick with either agree or object. Up to us to approach and get the signatures and there are no fees.

When I say 'is there a loophole' I mean is there a way to dismiss one nasty neighbours (likely) objection if no other neighbours object?

Have thought about getting some reference letters from other neighbours stating that our dogs are well kept and not nuisance barkers to back it up if need be.

Edited by Red Fox

Forms have arrived. Pretty straightforward - a space for our details, a space for name and address and signature of each neighbour (up to 4) plus a box for them to tick with either agree or object. Up to us to approach and get the signatures and there are no fees.

When I say 'is there a loophole' I mean is there a way to dismiss one nasty neighbours (likely) objection if no other neighbours object?

Have thought about getting some reference letters from other neighbours stating that our dogs are well kept and not nuisance barkers to back it up if need be.

Not in SA but I had a neighbour say no and the council approached the other neighbour (who was a known troublemaker!) who has said yes and asked him if he was happy to right them a letter so he did and I got my permit.

Yes we were very unhappy with the whole thing :(

When we originally called the lady on the phone was quite airy fairy about the whole thing and gave the impression it was no big deal and just fill out the paperwork with our $50 application fee (for goodness knows what!) and it would get processed. Then in the mail it came back rejected. We called back and spoke to another person in charge and he was rude and unhelpful and basically said you are only allowed 2 dogs, deal with it. No refund on our money. Grrr.

We had a very old partically blind, deaf and housebound boy who had just lost his sister and was going downhill badly. We thought he would die basically. So we bought a puppy to give him doggy companionship, he loved her but she was to full on and needed another playmate, so we wanted to get another westie to keep her company etc. My old boy was a quiet old soul and you would never know he was there, no trouble at all. We explained to the council all this and they said don't care, not a good enough reason. Not sure what would have been good enough.