Aaargh, People Who Don't Chip/register Their Dogs

kelpiecuddles

Not long ago I joined a lost pets page on facebook as I was looking up an ad that I wanted to share and wow, the frustration level is insane! The number of people who put up lost dog posts that say the dog isn't even chipped and the ones that are even worse are the ones that will classically fall under BSL if they hit the pound. It makes me so sad for the dogs that suffer as a result. Was looking at one just now, tan coloured taller staffy type with a red nose, not chipped or registered, well we all know where that's going if it ends up in the pound... :cry: People talk about how devestated they are and that it's their childrens dog but they can't even be arsed taking the simplest step that will stand their dog a decent chance of getting back to them if it gets lost.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I agree, I'm part of our local lost pets page on Facebook and see the same thing in my area too. My pup was chipped by the breeder, but it would have been the first thing on my list if that wasn't the case. I did only just get around to getting her a tag for her collar with our phone numbers on it though!

Previously I hadn't been too concerned about that because our vet is literally around the corner and they would know where she's from on sight (+ the microchip), but I've been seeing a lot more of people who take the dog home and then just post on Facebook that they found it..

First thing I did 15 years ago when I got Zeddy as a FTGH pup... straight down to my vet for her vaccs and a chip - even before we got home!

Trouble was already chipped, but the old owner forgot to transfer... required a stat dec to sort that out, but was fairly simple to fix.

Pickles and Harper were rescue fosters - chipped straight to my name due to them being foster failures... I even got to do the entering of the details into the registry myself when the rescue owner did the chipping (licensed implanter)... *grin*

It's such a wonderful resource that reunites so many lost animals with their owners in a short amount of time... I can't understand why so many people don't make sure it's done, or their details are up to date... I couldn't bear to think of any of my babies waiting for me to find them in a pound longer than absolutely necessary!

T.

mmm. I was following a regional pound on facebook but had to stop - the number of unchipped or out of date chips was just saddening.

Excuse my ignorance, but when you say out of date do you just mean the details weren't up to date? Or do you need to renew/refresh your details periodically, even if they haven't changed? Just want to make sure I'm on top of what I need to be! :thumbsup:

I had a lady ring up my work the other day to see about microchipping as we've had a vet nurse who is also a mobile microchipper do it there in the past. She doesn't now, but I passed on her details for this lady....who then asked me "what's a microchip for?" :eek: literally speechless for a moment, before I told her that it stores her details if her dog gets lost....oh and it's sort of compulsory in NSW to have it done *facepalm*

I will say however, that some out there can be taught. Another DOLer and myself got a local BSS site to make it mandatory that all pups and kittens on the site are microchipped. Small win.

Well that was interesting. One lady asks if she has to get her pup chipped and so many people told her its not compulsory(in Vic) I was gobsmacked. It has been law there since 2007, I can't believe so many people not only have no clue but are happy to wrongly advise others of the legal requirements!

When I worked at the pound/Council as an Animal Management Officer. There were just as many owners who never bothered to change the microchip details from the breeder to their name. So if a dog DID end up in the pound, we were not able to contact the owners.

What is frustrating here, it has been law since 2008 that all dogs/cats must be chipped before sale (even an adult dog born before 2008 being rehomed) is the number of people still refusing to do it. Mainly BYB advertising on Gumtree etc. However I have seen ads from supposed registered breeders claiming they have a letter from RSPCA or similar to say the dog cannot be chipped before 12 weeks.

By law, the animal only needs to be one kilogram to be chipped.

Oh... this thread reminds me that most of my pets chip addresses are out of date.. :( Do they ring the mobile number recorded? :o

Yes. That is all that they can do. When a dog comes into the pound, you can ring one (or all) of the various registries. (with the exception of the NSW companion registry). Pounds and authorised places have passwords etc to look up or give to the operator. They only provide name and contact number. If the contact is wrong or out of date, there is nothing more we can really do, other than hope you will eventually get to ringing the pound to see if your dog is there.

Oh... this thread reminds me that most of my pets chip addresses are out of date.. :( Do they ring the mobile number recorded? :o

Yes. That is all that they can do. When a dog comes into the pound, you can ring one (or all) of the various registries. (with the exception of the NSW companion registry). Pounds and authorised places have passwords etc to look up or give to the operator. They only provide name and contact number. If the contact is wrong or out of date, there is nothing more we can really do, other than hope you will eventually get to ringing the pound to see if your dog is there.

Yep.

One of my dogs isn't chipped in my name. He was a rescue dog and it was never changed. I don't know who he is chipped with or how to go about changing it.

but then again the only time he is outside is when he is with me, and he wears a collar with tags, so I think its safe. Not the ideal- but workable.

Also, a bit OT, I had Kokoda's chip scanned. He is microchipped and all details are correct BUT his chip has migrated to a fair way down his front leg!

The vet thought i was mad when I said "he is microchipped, keep looking" but we did find it. If he were to end up collarless and in a pound i doubt they would spend that long or scan that far down his leg.

I have only ever seen people scan around their neck and shoulders. So that is a bit worrying- so i had 'm/chipped' engraved onto his tag as well as my number.

There are a few chip registeries where you can enter/register your pet.

I think there are others who, if you enter the chip number, will tell you who it was registered with (microchip company). Each company have different rules and regs on how they require updated details.

Collars can come off. Doors can be accidently not closed properly or opened. The pounds are instructed to also scan down the legs as it is a known fact that some of the earlier chips in particular were prone to migrating.