A N K C Now Recognises Lure Coursing

Kirislin

I love the last one with her hair all swept back in the wind. :laugh:

We also had some lure coursing yesterday. It was our normal whippet fun day but in the afternoon Bindi set up her lure course and a few of our dogs had a go.

Neko IG

16755612332_d7ae5f94b0_z.jpgIMG_1534_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Arkey IG

16575647599_c6ebb58112_z.jpgIMG_1393_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

16735902216_ac7745b494_z.jpgIMG_1394_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Ruby Whippet

16140636574_79332c1ee8_z.jpgIMG_1559_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Woody Bassett

16140640734_802c71d3e8_z.jpgIMG_1383_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

and retired Greyhound Jimmy

16576810039_9244717935_z.jpgIMG_1494_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Edited by Kirislin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where abouts in NSW is lure coursing done? I've always thought Zeus has sight hound in him somewhere as he is very motivated by movement and utilises his eyesight much more than his other senses. It looks fun!

It depends if you want fun day lure coursing or ANKC recognised lure coursing competition.

For fun day lure coursing, that starts over winter and there is a Yahoo group where times are distributed a couple of weeks out from the next fun day. https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lurecoursingsydney/info

If it's lure coursing trials, there is a FB group for NSW people interested in formal competition: https://www.facebook.com/groups/880871155286150/

Both are held at the DogsNSW complex in Orchard Hills.

NSW and Qld are well advanced, official trials are well on their way in those states.

Yes, they're a long way ahead of Vic. :cry: I would imagine it's a very big task to start from scratch. I've put my name down as interested and am trying to get information on certain aspects of coursing so I can read up and learn but it's not proving easy to get.

I hope they post photos of the days they have. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

NSW and Qld are well advanced, official trials are well on their way in those states.

Yes, they're a long way ahead of Vic. :cry: I would imagine it's a very big task to start from scratch. I've put my name down as interested and am trying to get information on certain aspects of coursing so I can read up and learn but it's not proving easy to get.

I hope they post photos of the days they have. I'm looking forward to seeing them.

NSW has benefitted from the efforts of extremely dedicated workers from the sighthound community and their proximity and relationships with the sighthound folk in Qld. Hopefully as NSW grows in experience, there will a flow on effect to Vic as their neighbouring state. :)

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Good to hear. There sure was v popular lure coursing already in Qld. A registered breeder we got our first tibbie from, in the Darling Downs area, used to take her tibs to local lure coursing. With their hare feet, like the sighthounds, some tibs can run like the wind (my sedate girls excepted! :) )

I hope lots of pics get posted, too. Dogs of all kinds look fantastic in full flight.

NSW has benefitted from the efforts of extremely dedicated workers from the sighthound community and their proximity and relationships with the sighthound folk in Qld. Hopefully as NSW grows in experience, there will a flow on effect to Vic as their neighbouring state. :)

Yes, I'm hoping for a flow on effect, I've suggested to Deb Huon that she join the NSW page to hopefully get ideas from how they're going about it.

Good to hear. There sure was v popular lure coursing already in Qld. A registered breeder we got our first tibbie from, in the Darling Downs area, used to take her tibs to local lure coursing. With their hare feet, like the sighthounds, some tibs can run like the wind (my sedate girls excepted! :) )

I hope lots of pics get posted, too. Dogs of all kinds look fantastic in full flight.

I agree. It lifts your spirits doesn't it.

Thanks, yep, I've been communicating with Ping (ASFA president), she's very keen to help but I had to tell her I'm not the one organising it. I dont want to step on toes so I'm just gathering information for myself that I can also share if and when it's asked for.

Thanks, yep, I've been communicating with Ping (ASFA president), she's very keen to help but I had to tell her I'm not the one organising it. I dont want to step on toes so I'm just gathering information for myself that I can also share if and when it's asked for.

If you are a Dogs VIC member Kirislin, I suggest, if you haven't already, that you make yourself known the the Dogs Vic Coordinator and volunteer to chip in. If they don't know you, they won't find you. You could be organising it!!

It takes a few folk to get these things off the ground and I'd imagine every pair of hands would be welcome. It also saves on duplication of effort.

Dogs NSW has the genesis of LC Club and a Club Committee. That sort of progress doesn't happen quickly if someone is doing all the work themselves. Many hands and all that...

If you are a Dogs VIC member Kirislin, I suggest, if you haven't already, that you make yourself known the the Dogs Vic Coordinator and volunteer to chip in. If they don't know you, they won't find you. You could be organising it!!

It takes a few folk to get these things off the ground and I'd imagine every pair of hands would be welcome. It also saves on duplication of effort.

Dogs NSW has the genesis of LC Club and a Club Committee. That sort of progress doesn't happen quickly if someone is doing all the work themselves. Many hands and all that...

Yep, I am a dogs vic member and I've already done that. :D It's Deb Huon, I emailed her, visited her and joined the facebook page she's set up and provided my bio as she asked.

• 3 weeks later...

Keshwar, I love this article! Thankyou! :thumbsup: This is the kind of stuff I need to start learning about.

Coursing

One of my favourites.

Helped me learn to layout safe courses. :)

Bear

any other advice about how to lay a safe course, especially your own experience will be gratefully received. :thumbsup:

We had an informal lure day on Good Friday

I took a few pics.

These 2 girls are very exerienced racers from the Tooradin round track but this was their first time coursing. I think they loved the change.

16439532813_e1700261c1.jpg5F6A8770_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Pixie at 11 years old has lost none of her enthusiasm. Here she goes for the "take" see, I'm learning the lingo :D

16437243384_e6e440cd40.jpg5F6A8790_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Woody loves it

16871876898_5d9e1743fc.jpg5F6A8837_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

I love the angles I can get with coursing. Not as many opportunities with the straight drag lure

16852296377_ca330a9ed7.jpg5F6A8666_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Coursing doesn't come naturally to this little girl but I think she enjoyed it. Her owner also finished the course

16872154430_8568c2a086.jpg5F6A8686_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

First time I've seen an Afghan run, they're pretty impressive.

16437264834_7b307dcb0c.jpg5F6A8705_1 by kirislin, on Flickr

Keshwar, I love this article! Thankyou! :thumbsup: This is the kind of stuff I need to start learning about.

Coursing

One of my favourites.

Helped me learn to layout safe courses. :)

Bear

any other advice about how to lay a safe course, especially your own experience will be gratefully received. :thumbsup:

No corners sharper than 90 degrees, I try to keep 90 degree corners to a minimum, I don't like cross overs so try to avoid them if I can, I don't like to many short straights followed by tight corners. :)

I've attached the course I designed for the Judges exam.

Bear

post-13483-0-25893600-1428359515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keshwar

thankyou! :worship::thumbsup: the 90degree thing had me confused for a while because I'd read it as no MORE than 90 degrees when it really should say no LESS, but your wording of no sharper makes more sense and is easier to understand. I'll study the course you've posted.