Rescue Girl And Separation Anxiety

We had a sheltie with separation anxiety. She consistently tore soft furnishings to pieces when we went out. University of Qld vet bahaviourist gave us steps to follow which, to my amazement, made a huge difference in only weeks. What we had to do, wasn't all that complicated, we just had to do it consistently.

So when we later got a tibbie who used to bark when we went out, I applied them again... & she came good. If you wanted the steps, I'd type them out.

Would love that - thank you…..would you be willing to send the steps to my email address ? ….. [email protected]

I would be most grateful…..

Thank you

No worries, Denise. I note you said that you have an appointment with the behaviour vet on Tuesday. I suggest that you do that first because a face-to-face assessment with the UQ behaviour vet, was our first step, too. There may be different aspects about individual dogs which need to be taken into consideration. I agree with HW about the need for an expert eye on a particular case.

I'll still type out the steps we were given ... & will send it to you. But with the understanding they were based on an assessment of our dogs & their circumstances. So feel free, when working with your behaviorist vet, to accept or reject any bits or all.

Of course I will press on with my appt. ..that is my priority and every dog is different just as we humans are...but I do believe there is not just one solution and sometimes a three pronged solution is best….I am using techniques that have held me in good stead with my other two Minis…but as Bridie was not raised by me from a pup I will need some expert advise which is what i will be getting on Tuesday…plus whatever follow up is required in addition to my constant reinforcement of the best strategies we choose to employ.

She is a smart dog who is very responsive so I am confident things will improve..

Cheers

Denise

.I am using techniques that have held me in good stead with my other two Minis…but as Bridie was not raised by me from a pup I will need some expert advise which is what i will be getting on Tuesday…plus whatever follow up is required in addition to my constant reinforcement of the best strategies we choose to employ.

She is a smart dog who is very responsive so I am confident things will improve..

Cheers

Denise

You're miles ahead of where I was when I first took our sheltie to the UQ behaviourist vet. I had no idea of the dynamics involved in separation anxiety. I'd never even heard of it. I just thought we must have a seriously disturbed dog!

It was a real light bulb moment when the behaviourist vet spelled out what was going on & that it had a name. Interestingly, she also said the sheltie was an intelligent dog & so would respond well to the relearning strategies that we had to put in place.

Same as your situation, I didn't raise the sheltie or the tibbie from puppies. One was 7 months old & the other nearly 3 years old.

• 7 months later...

Hope your recent appointment with the behaviour vet went well. I haven't had personal experience with separation anxiety, but a good friend of mine did and I know how distressing it was for their family. All us dog lovers just adore our fur babies, so it would be awful to see them so stressed out and unhappy. She said they bought a book online that had heaps of info in it and helped them nut out the problem and help their dog to be completely rehabilitated. They got it from this site: www.howtotreatseparationanxietyindogs.com I know that it helped her heaps, so may have some good gems in there. Good luck! :-) x