What Obedience Looks Like When You Add Drive!

lovemesideways

As some know and some don't, I make videos for YouTube! I've been wanting to make a video for ages showing what "boring" obedience looks like when you train your dog in a super fun way. Its a collaboration with the fabulous K9 Pro, and all the dogs in the video are trained using Steves programs and methods :)! Theres a range of breeds and owners, all different ages/sizes/genders but the one thing that's always the same is that we train in drive :)! (My super fab GSD on stars in 2 short bits, I had to restrain myself from making the whole video about roscoe :o)

Love it - I swear I grin from the start to the end when I see dogs having so much fun!

You would have loved K9's stand at the recent I Love Dogs Show in Sydney.

One of the dogs was working with their owner. Steve tried to interrupt their focus with the same ball on a rope.

No chance until the owner gave the stop command. Then the dog dive-bombed the other ball. Dog was having a total blast in front a whole group of strangers.

:thumbsup:

Huski does not know yet.... I am going to dognap the beagle AND Wiz!!!

j/k truly :love:

Edited by VizslaMomma

I would LOVE to know how they get their dogs to constantly look at them? The only way I can come close to that is using food, but at my club food is not allowed to be used.

Hey Teela - all the dogs in the video are either trained in food or prey drive. the dogs are all highly motivated to work (they didn't all start out that way either!) and understand how to earn reward. The handler focus you see is a by product of training in drive, we don't teach a look command, it happens naturally in the program - we just shape it to look how we want.

Love it - I swear I grin from the start to the end when I see dogs having so much fun!

One of the dogs was working with their owner. Steve tried to interrupt their focus with the same ball on a rope.

No chance until the owner gave the stop command. Then the dog dive-bombed the other ball. Dog was having a total blast in front a whole group of strangers.

Lol VM!

That dog and handler team you saw at the show was LMSW who made the video :)

Roscoe is a pretty cool dog and he did some great work at the show demonstrating how we can train dogs to have high focus around distraction.

PS if you dognap my beagle just be prepared to have no food left in your house :laugh:

:rofl: I find the hardest part is having my dog NOT look. We are still struggling on that particular concept :laugh:. Oh and her latest reward of choice 0.5cm twigs and yes she really is insane.

Great video as always - TID rules :).

Lol VM!

Roscoe is a pretty cool dog and he did some great work at the show demonstrating how we can train dogs to have high focus around distraction.

PS if you dognap my beagle just be prepared to have no food left in your house :laugh:

I nearly tried to kidnap Roscoe. He was SO cool. Luckily, My ride home called for me to leave.

Ah, Beagle & Herbert will vie for tucker then.

:D

Lol VM!

:laugh: Yeah that was my boy Roscoe. We were at the show all day doing demo work and he was awesome! Definitely the most distracting environment I've ever had him in with people reaching out to pat him as we heeled past and even some other dogs getting led past and bumping into him, but he didn't even look :)! Steves programs are honestly the best, the results are there and you can see for yourself how awesome the dogs are.

After a whole day at the show you think Roscoe would be tired...

10294273_10154801108775082_6606598072071077420_n.jpg?oh=0f688721000a8116b7717258d56fcbef&oe=54E45DAE&__gda__=1427589048_9353c3dcdc6406d9a9d66b644c16552f

"Nah mum I'm good, throw my ball!"

Great video!

This is probably the only reason I would want to live in Sydney laugh.gif

I trained Nova in drive by myself for obedience (I attend a club, but just to practice in that environment), but I think we would really excel with some proper instruction and weed out some faults.

Saving my moneys for perhaps a trip next year biggrin.gif

:laugh: Yeah that was my boy Roscoe. We were at the show all day doing demo work and he was awesome! Definitely the most distracting environment I've ever had him in with people reaching out to pat him as we heeled past and even some other dogs getting led past and bumping into him, but he didn't even look :)! Steves programs are honestly the best, the results are there and you can see for yourself how awesome the dogs are.

After a whole day at the show you think Roscoe would be tired...

10294273_10154801108775082_6606598072071077420_n.jpg?oh=0f688721000a8116b7717258d56fcbef&oe=54E45DAE&__gda__=1427589048_9353c3dcdc6406d9a9d66b644c16552f

"Nah mum I'm good, throw my ball!"

yeah, I was there about 1:30pm on the Sunday. I think Roscoe was resting at first. Then you got him up to strut his stuff. There was Roscoe & you AND fun. What more could a dog want. Not remotely phased by being interrupted with a toy either.

I have said to Huski before that it is my dream to have Horrible Herbert look into my eyes with the devotion these K9 trained dogs have. They say miracles can happen

:rofl:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Great video!

This is probably the only reason I would want to live in Sydney laugh.gif

I trained Nova in drive by myself for obedience (I attend a club, but just to practice in that environment), but I think we would really excel with some proper instruction and weed out some faults.

Saving my moneys for perhaps a trip next year biggrin.gif

oh please do Lisa, it would be great to meet you and Nova and get to work with you both :)

I have said to Huski before that it is my dream to have Horrible Herbert look into my eyes with the devotion these K9 trained dogs have. They say miracles can happen

:rofl:

If Daisy the Evil Beagle can do it, I don't doubt Horrible Herbert can too ;)

:thumbsup: now if only I had a dog with drive :p

Many of the dogs we work with aren't high drive working breeds, and many don't have an ideal 'start' or genetics but we work with the owners to get the best out of them.

Two of the dogs in that video started with Steve because they have extremely bad nerves, anxiety etc and neither of the owners thought they would be able to trial them.

But now both of those dogs not only score high scores in trials but have won the ring, High in Trials etc.

The best part is you would not be able to tell watching the video which dogs they are :)

Edited by huski