Odd Behaviour

Hi all, hoping to get some advice/info about something odd my dog is doing.

Bennie is a 2yo labrador, who i've had for a year. He still well and truly thinks he's a puppy and bounces all over the place, but thats fine.

He is generally obedient, he knows to sit, stay, shake paws, "drop" his ball, and "wheres your ball" to go find it. He also has to sit outside the back door when i get home and open the door, and has to wait for an "ok" before being allowed in. The same also applies to going out the front door. Even with lead on, and ball in mouth, he knows he has to sit and wait for the "ok" before being allowed out.

I joke that he has the IQ of a doorknob but he is a lab and is smart when he wants to be.

The oddness is this: at night before we go to bed (he sleeps inside in my room), obviously i send him outside to go potty, but sometimes he just refuses to come back inside. Like point blank WILL NOT. He'll sit outside the back door, even whimper a bit, but he wont come in. I can call him, say ok, say good boy, nothing works. Luring him with treats doesnt work If i throws bits of food to try and create a trail in the back door, he'll pick up the pieces that are far enough away, but he wont move close to the door, or take them from my hands. I think he knows i'm trying to lure him close enough to grab his collar. If i go out into the backyard to catch him, he runs away until i corner him and can grab his collar.

Of course by this point he thinks hes in trouble and thus justified in running away, which probably reinforces the behaviour.

If i leave the back door open, turn the lights off and go to bed, he'll still just sit at the door and whimper. Eventually he will come in though, but may take an hour or more.

It can get remarkably frustrating trying to get him to come in. And on a couple of occasions i have gotten so annoyed i just shut the door and went to bed leaving him out there!

Any suggestions what might be causing it?

Edited by Kingbob

Could be his way of saying he doesn't want the fun to end, ours know when it is bedtime too and can dig their heels in. Is a doggy door an option? If it were me, I would give him one chance to come in and close the door on him if he doesn't. Wait 5mins, try again, if he still refuses close the door and leave him out there. He will work out soon enough that you aren't playing his game anymore. One of mine would prefer to stay out given the choice (but yard isn't dog proof so can't).

Could be his way of saying he doesn't want the fun to end, ours know when it is bedtime too and can dig their heels in. Is a doggy door an option? If it were me, I would give him one chance to come in and close the door on him if he doesn't. Wait 5mins, try again, if he still refuses close the door and leave him out there. He will work out soon enough that you aren't playing his game anymore. One of mine would prefer to stay out given the choice (but yard isn't dog proof so can't).

It doesn't sound odd - just doggy minds working ;)

being outside- with night smells/sounds ..is MUCH more interesting ;) he realises that the routine means come in/go to bed ..and he respects that - but, hey - "I'm DOG- I am all a- quiver with what's happening out here..."

get yourself involved. Buy/make a long leash - at least 3 metres... EVERY time you take him out for toilet ..use that ...it's not game time ...it is toilet time ... use whatever word you use to get him to toilet (and if you have none- start using one ;) ..and stay out there ..not talking to him ..just saying your toilet word every so often .

To teach him to associate the word with relieving himself - starting now - EACH time you see him pee or poo - use that word ... and when he finishes - lots of praise/play. in a few days, maybe- use the word when you see him START to toilet ...then when you see him start sniffing around ... it may take a while - but I have trained many many labs to do this ... it will work as long as you are calm and consistent :)

Another thing ...leave a longish leash on him when he goes out .chasing/grabbing a dog is NOT a good idea at all - unless in emergency. if he has a 2 mtre leash dragging - you can CALMLY and quietly walk past - pick up the leash - treat him ..say "inside, good boy "..and carry on as normal ....

Just my 2c worth ;)

I dont think its a play thing. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so when he's in play mode its obvious, very bouncy, tail wagging etc.

When he does this he just sits there outside the door, if i walk away and leave him he'll even whimper a bit.

I'll try putting the lead on to take him out, he seems to know that "go potty" means to go outside for a whiz, so i'll keep using that word. Just hope he doesnt get too excited when he sees the lead!

As for picking up the lead when he's loose, that would work except he picks the lead up in his mouth and carries it himself! lol

I dont think its a play thing. He wears his heart on his sleeve, so when he's in play mode its obvious, very bouncy, tail wagging etc.

When he does this he just sits there outside the door, if i walk away and leave him he'll even whimper a bit.

I'll try putting the lead on to take him out, he seems to know that "go potty" means to go outside for a whiz, so i'll keep using that word. Just hope he doesnt get too excited when he sees the lead!

As for picking up the lead when he's loose, that would work except he picks the lead up in his mouth and carries it himself! lol

if the lead/longline is totally different to a normal lead the carrying behaviour may not happen . Just treat these things quietly and calmly ...... no extra speech or attention . walk past , ruffle his neck - clip LONGline on ...

this is what I use - chew proof ... and strong . gets used for walking too :) 2932.gif2932.gif

I was wondering if there might be a chance a dog could still need to do 'more' business?

Herbert goes outside, does everything. We dont 'do' play. Then he declines coming back inside. We can wait 15 minutes & he goes all over again.

:(

Strange indeed, but then dogs are strange creature.

I have no idea how to help, but I tried everything with my boy. Sometimes he would get on the front deck and freeze. Nothing could get him to move!

Our nephews dog, who is usually glued to people will sometimes refuse to come in either at night, for no reason, even in the midst of minus temperatures!

Who knows!!!!!!But good luck with answaers.

Do you have another dog or a cat that might be subvocalising or giving him the 'evil eye'? I've seen dogs and cars do this, to keep the 'competition' away from a person or a place that they regard as a resource to be guarded. The bedroom is definitely a prime resource, so I would not be surprised if a pet anticipated bedtime by keeping another pet out of the house.

Try taking him out the front to do his business at night, on a longish lead, and stay with him. Praise him, Then straight back in, no mucking about.

Does he get anxious inside, or restless at night? He might be too hot, he might be not tired....a multitude of things

Some nights my dog likes to stay outside and be "on patrol"... like Persephone said.

And she won't come in when I call her, and she will run to the back fence (and lane) and bark if I try to walk out and catch her.

Fortunately for me - she's a major foodie, and she's been a bit of a diet lately cos she's a couple of kg overweight so I say her name in an upbeat calling way - and then I drop one bit of kibble into her dinner bowl - which makes a nice "ding" noise. And that gets her every time...

I make her stay on the mat and wait for permission to eat the kibble...

And then I close the door. Then I give her permission to eat.

Strangely after a bit of that - her recall has gotten much better. I think the ding of the dinner bowl has the power of Pavlov.

Before I just used to shut the door and leave her out. And eventually she'd come by the bedroom window and ask to be let back in. Woof. Not ideal.