My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

Agreed the second video deosn't look particularly friendly to me either.

I really don't think PTS is going to be a solution, there are many many steps that can be done/tried before you get to that. You have recognised and issue, are going to keep them separate and are addressing their issues. Be kind to yoruself.

Whilst her attack is serious and distressing I have also seen far worse. Just breathe and the week will be over in no time

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you have a management plan and get into a routine it will become easier. There will be an adjustment time but you'll be surprised at how it just becomes part of what you do. Lots of people live with difficult dog issues, don't stress.

Agree it seems a long time to wait for a consult for an urgent problem. Perhaps there is someone else you can see sooner? There must be more than one good behaviourist in Brisbane. Have you done a search on here for recommendations?

At least you are addressing the problem. Plenty of people have the view that dogs can "sort it out themselves". The main thing is to keep them separate until you can get help. Good luck - it will be interesting to hear what the behaviourist has to say.

Agree it seems a long time to wait for a consult for an urgent problem. Perhaps there is someone else you can see sooner? There must be more than one good behaviourist in Brisbane. Have you done a search on here for recommendations?

At least you are addressing the problem. Plenty of people have the view that dogs can "sort it out themselves". The main thing is to keep them separate until you can get help. Good luck - it will be interesting to hear what the behaviourist has to say.

One of my friends with the "they will sort themselves out" philosophy went home to a horrific scene one day and her dog didn't survive. I've never agreed with that idea but came across it again last weekend when I took one of my fosters for an appointment.

The resident female dog turned out to be extremely dominant and immediately went for my foster's neck and kept behaving in an unacceptable way. I said "this isn't going to work" and the potential owner was very upset with me and said that they would sort it out between them and they would just give it a try for the 2 week trial period ...

As my foster dog was half the size of the resident dog and desperately trying to get away from her and even growling which I've never heard her do before, I thought this was highly risky and suggested a male would most likely be a much better fit for a dominant female - person wouldn't hear of it.

My foster lives in absolute harmony with all my dogs inc 2 females but was terrified of this person's dog as it kept going for her neck and legs .... it wasn't playing, stiff tail etc.

Whilst I didn't obviously go ahead with the adoption, there are many ways of getting yourself a dog and I fear for any female dog going into the situation with someone who is so clueless about dog behaviour and this is what I was referring to earlier, I hear too many horror stories as a rescuer - not many people consider paying for a behaviouralist either.

I don't believe PTS is necessary in this situation, it might be management or rehoming but not PTS.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I think you could certainly manage this without the need for one dog to be PTS. We crate and rotate our two bitches, and while it can be a hassle, they live happily enough without being together. A crate and a baby gate is a life-saver for us.

It is certainly stressful when you witness those first serious fights. In all our dog owning years we've never had two dogs fight that severely and on multiple occasions. We did consider re-homing at the beginning, but I've found you do settle into a routine after a while. The only time we would consider re-homing would be if our two bitches suddenly decided to kill each other and no crate or baby gate was going to stop that. Otherwise it's just a matter of organising yourself that you can spend time with them separately.

poor bon :( . Mind you, I feel a bit sorry for Lucy as well - it's a shame she couldn't work out some of that energy /aggro 'doing stuff' .... not sitting , plotting the end of the world or whatever ;)

I think either one could be rehomed IF it comes to that - certainly, unless Lucy is doing this to every dog she meets , she deserves a good chance!

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone! Will wait to see what Jane makes of her. I'm thinking about taking Lucy to mums for the week because she loves it there then Bon has a week of reprieve but then I dread the barking of her home alone in a new apartment.

Is there a harness that is Houdini proof?

Guest hankodie

Oh no don poor doggies and poor you!! I agree baby gates are a great idea, my 2 are separated during the day and they do fine. I hope you get it all sorted out soon.

I use the black dog harness for Odie - http://www.blackdog.net.au/dog-harnesses/balance-harness

They have a front and back attachment and you can buy a collar attachment as well. Totally escape proof

Thank you everyone! Will wait to see what Jane makes of her. I'm thinking about taking Lucy to mums for the week because she loves it there then Bon has a week of reprieve but then I dread the barking of her home alone in a new apartment.

We find the Ruffwear Webmaster harnesses are great for dogs that can houdini out of them :)

Guest hankodie

Also I'm not a professional but I would be looking into crates for both of them just so they have their own space to go to. This is a good idea even if your dogs do get along, Odie goes into her crate during the day and it gives her "me time" where she can chew her bone or sleep without Hank harassing her to play. It also helps establish boundaries which is a good thing if they are fighting over bed privileges etc. Good luck!

Another thing I was thinking of was maybe giving Lucy & Bon some Rescue Remedy drops ?

Or getting an adaptil diffuser for their area.

It's just there is so much on your plate with the move, those business worries and your furkids.

Stress has moved into your situation too.

Sending healing vibes to you & hoping for resolution.

:(

Edited by VizslaMomma

I am by no means an expert in dog behaviour but just a thought: you mentioned that Bon had health issues - is it possible that Lucy is attacking her because she senses illness/weakness in Bon? Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable people might know if that is a possibility?

I'm sorry this is happening, it is traumatic and I hope you find a solution.

I am by no means an expert in dog behaviour but just a thought: you mentioned that Bon had health issues - is it possible that Lucy is attacking her because she senses illness/weakness in Bon? Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable people might know if that is a possibility?

I'm sorry this is happening, it is traumatic and I hope you find a solution.

This is very possible.

I was also thinking that :(

Guest donatella

Yes I read that dogs can want to attack sick dogs. Couple that with a move and I have a skittish dog.

Thanks for the harness recs!

I don't have crates, Bon would hate it although Lucy would love one if I covered it up and made it like a cave

I am no expert but I agree about a dog attacking a sick dog or a dog trying to raise its status in the pack. I also think your move may have unsettled the status quo and i think I read somewhere that you are sleeping on a mattress on the floor. In Lucy's eyes that might mean you are less of the boss and maybe she needs you to be the boss to maintain the status quo. In a doggy way Lucy is feeling insecure and there is a change in the pack hierarchy. (Hope I don't sound like Cesar Milan because I have no sympathy for him at all.)

If you don't have crates I would be leaving them in separate rooms until you have seen the behaviourist.

Who knows how long this has been going on for. The new living conditions might have just made it worse and it is now happening in front of Don. What enrichment do you provide for them? Two dogs locked inside for long days and no walks can't be fun for them. (Don has said in the past she doesn't walk her dogs for fear of them being attacked)