My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Who knows how long this has been going on for. The new living conditions might have just made it worse and it is now happening in front of Don. What enrichment do you provide for them? Two dogs locked inside for long days and no walks can't be fun for them. (Don has said in the past she doesn't walk her dogs for fear of them being attacked)

You're such a stirrer.

I don't need to take them on neighbourhood walks, we go to places where I feel safer. They go to my mums to play with her dogs, parks and quiet areas (which I have stated before).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest donatella

Me & the dogs got attacked by a Pom yesterday :rofl: The border collies were like 'wtf'. I had to go and knock on the door to let them know their dog was out, I did fear for my ankles!

That's one brave pom!!!! Mine aren't that game they just yap from a distance but are quick to shut up when the larger dog approaches!!

Thank you everyone! Will wait to see what Jane makes of her. I'm thinking about taking Lucy to mums for the week because she loves it there then Bon has a week of reprieve but then I dread the barking of her home alone in a new apartment.

Is there a harness that is Houdini proof?

We find the Ruffwear Webmaster harnesses are great for dogs that can houdini out of them :)

I'd second this.

I mostly use BlackDog stuff but even the harness (balance or regular) connected to a fairly tight martingale couldn't prevent the Shitty Whippet from magicking her way out of it. The Webmaster is not the prettiest harness but it allows me to walk the very slippery whippet without fear of her escaping. The handle on the back is also useful for helping her get into/out of the car.

Me & the dogs got attacked by a Pom yesterday :rofl: The border collies were like 'wtf'. I had to go and knock on the door to let them know their dog was out, I did fear for my ankles!

That's one brave pom!!!! Mine aren't that game they just yap from a distance but are quick to shut up when the larger dog approaches!!

Lol that is cute - we used to have a little black pom come to our leash free park and she ruled it. Zig adored her and used to crawl up to her, so he could lick her face (well, it was her whole head, she was so little)..

She was one of three that used to come up all the time and she was so much smaller than her pack mates - teeny, tiny little thing.

I think they moved away but they were the loveliest little dogs and not afraid of the big dogs at all - one used to chase a pom sized tennis ball and race around with all the big dogs.

Guest hankodie

Who knows how long this has been going on for. The new living conditions might have just made it worse and it is now happening in front of Don. What enrichment do you provide for them? Two dogs locked inside for long days and no walks can't be fun for them. (Don has said in the past she doesn't walk her dogs for fear of them being attacked)

You're such a stirrer.

I don't need to take them on neighbourhood walks, we go to places where I feel safer. They go to my mums to play with her dogs, parks and quiet areas (which I have stated before).

My dogs don't go on neighbourhood walks either because we've been rushed at too many times. When I do take them for traditional walks it's purely for my own enjoyment, we will go for a coffee in the mornings and a stroll but in terms of enrichment I'd say it's definitely low on the scale for them, I could stop the walks completely and it would have little to no affect on their behaviour. Like don I take them to different places (parks, fields, visiting friends, obedience class) where we train and we play. My dogs are inside during the day too when I'm not home and they are fine.

I certainly would not rely on just "taking my dogs for a walk" to solve behavioural issues. The situation much more complicated than that.

Don the behaviourist will hopefully give you a good program and steps you need to manage the situation.

You're such a stirrer.

so they are out and about every day, or you do some brain work with them before you go to work? After all a tired dog is a good dog. I could care less if you think I am a stirrer but you are talking about PTS one of your dogs when the fault may not be hers.

Fact is they are locked up inside for many hours at a time. Now you are locking one out of the bedroom and she is seeing even less of you. I feel very sorry for the dogs.

You're such a stirrer.

My dogs don't go on neighbourhood walks either because we've been rushed at too many times. When I do take them for traditional walks it's purely for my own enjoyment, we will go for a coffee in the mornings and a stroll but in terms of enrichment I'd say it's definitely low on the scale for them, I could stop the walks completely and it would have little to no affect on their behaviour. Like don I take them to different places (parks, fields, visiting friends, obedience class) where we train and we play. My dogs are inside during the day too when I'm not home and they are fine.

I certainly would not rely on just "taking my dogs for a walk" to solve behavioural issues. The situation much more complicated than that.

Don the behaviourist will hopefully give you a good program and steps you need to manage the situation.

I asked about enrichment. I didn't say a walk around the block would solve anything. I rarely walk mine every day either but they have each other and a huge back yard to play in, which they do. If this was a newbie posting this stuff they would have copped it well and truly.

Guest donatella

You're such a stirrer.

so they are out and about every day, or you do some brain work with them before you go to work? After all a tired dog is a good dog. I could care less if you think I am a stirrer but you are talking about PTS one of your dogs when the fault may not be hers.

Fact is they are locked up inside for many hours at a time. Now you are locking one out of the bedroom and she is seeing even less of you. I feel very sorry for the dogs.

:rofl:

My dogs live a more comfortable life then some children. I didn't come here to be nit picked I came for advise and am doing the best I can for my dogs. I am seeking advise, I have booked a behaviourist and am putting everything above into place, your nastiness is not welcome here. If the behaviourist is unsatisfied with the amount of stimulation my dogs are getting I will take her advice with open arms, you are not helping

Guest donatella

You're such a stirrer.

I asked about enrichment. I didn't say a walk around the block would solve anything. I rarely walk mine every day either but they have each other and a huge back yard to play in, which they do. If this was a newbie posting this stuff they would have copped it well and truly.

You are kidding aren't you.....- backyard does not mean a fulfilled dog. I literally (this will be my second night) moved from a backyard where mine wouldn't venture into but to toilet.

My dogs get taken out to cafés, parks and other social areas. I don't walk them in suburban areas because I don't feel safe but believe my they live a pretty social life.

Guest donatella

You're such a stirrer.

One is locked out for the safety of the other one , what do you propose I do until I get the professionals advice? Honestly

Edited by donatella

Guest hankodie

You're bringing up stuff from previous threads and making don sound like she's a terrible pet owner when she's not (obviously, as she's concerned enough to make a post about the issue). My dogs are "locked up" and separated inside when I'm not home and they lead very happy lives.

The important thing is that don is moving towards putting together a plan and the professional trainer will advise of the proper action to take to manage and improve the situation.

You're bringing up stuff from previous threads and making don sound like she's a terrible pet owner when she's not (obviously, as she's concerned enough to make a post about the issue). My dogs are "locked up" and separated inside when I'm not home and they lead very happy lives.

The important thing is that don is moving towards putting together a plan and the professional trainer will advise of the proper action to take to manage and improve the situation.

:thumbsup:

Although, perhaps not expressed the most tactful way, I do think Rebanne has a point. I have seen Jane Harper myself, with my Aussie, and mental stimulation was definitely a high priority also Nothing in Life is free would be a good idea, I think. Good luck for the weekend :thumbsup:

Guest donatella

No one disagrees with the point but I take offence to presuming my dogs are hard done by and this is all my fault.

Lucy attacks over my attention if I get up and leave the room they stop.

We can have a big morning out, she'll come home sleep and then repeat behavior. I need to work out why all of a sudden I'm so valuable

I need to work out why all of a sudden I'm so valuable

Because, with a shift in location - new furniture- odd sounds/smells - YOU are the constant ...and she is keeping it that way!

Best answer of the whole thread...

Give NILIF a try Don - at least until Jane can come out...

T.

Ohdog that's heartbreaking to watch. Poor little Bon :(

Bon is so tiny, Donatella and Lucy sure is being a bully. I will be very interested in what Jane Harper has to say. I don't know anything about her except for DOLers giving her lots of recommendations.

This is how bipolar she is. She goes from attacking to friendly https://vimeo.com/112797181

As others have said: I didn't see that as being friendly at all. You know what I instantly thought of? Domestic violence - when one partner beats up the other and then comes bringing gifts and telling the other, you know you need me and see how I look after you. Very sad to see little Bon like that.

I wouldn't say I'm doing nothing I have acted as soon as I recognised the signs. I don't proclaim to be a behaviourist or know the signs other then the bleeding obvious ones. They do play and Bon follows her around, She's the sort of dog who likes company even if that company is a mega bitch.

See my post above about Domestic Violence. Afraid to let the other person out of their sight. At least then they might be able to see the punches coming and duck them.

Guest donatella

I definitely am looking forward to meeting with jane and getting a plan from her.

I am covered in bruises not from Lucy but from Bon. When I pick Lucy up from the situation Bon lunges and gets her own back