My Dogs Are Fighting!

Guest donatella

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely am looking forward to meeting with jane and getting a plan from her.

I am covered in bruises not from Lucy but from Bon. When I pick Lucy up from the situation Bon lunges and gets her own back

One of the problems with little dogs: so easy to pick them up to get them out of trouble :( . Between a rock and a hard place. :kissbetter:

I think you'll find Jane Harper very helpful. She really helped us out with one of our tibbies who was fear aggressive with other dogs but also snappy and snarly with our youngest child and other children in his younger years. She started us on NILIF and told us he is not allowed on any furniture at all at least until he has earned the privilege. Just these 2 things alone made a huge difference. We noticed that the snappy behaviour towards our daughter and other children went away quite quickly. We haven't had any problems with children for quite a few years now although occasionally he will push the boundaries and we have to step in very quickly or the behaviour will escalate. Our tibbie has never earned back his furniture privileges and that goes for our other tibbie too as I noticed problems seem to happen over furniture. Jane was brilliant in assessing what was going on and helping us with putting strategies/training in place. I wish you all the best and hope the problem is resolved soon.

Don sounds like you need to keep a piece of solid cardboard nearby. When they start cardboard comes down between as you pick one up. So you don't get bitten. Also lifting a dog up can cause the other to lunge so the visual barrier would help I think. Hope it's sorted soon.

Being on the floor probably just means that they can fight over you more easily. Being up higher might be enough distance or deterrent to put them off.

Guest donatella

Thank you everyone for the advice it's been a lot calmer the last few days implementing the above! I now live right on the Brisbane river and all apartments/businesses so have been going on river walks which they enjoy and I feel safe no suburban dogs behind fences...

These are Bon bites but i don't blame her she got her own back when I removed Lucy from the area post-41750-141713409474_thumb.jpgpost-41750-141713410246_thumb.jpgpost-41750-14171341088_thumb.jpg

Oh that sounds positive ESCS :)

Hopefully once you have some help with training, management etc you'll be able to have them stop with a verbal command if anything starts rather than having to physically intervene and get hurt on the process Don.

It is nearly the weekend, Donatella :thumbsup: . Jane Harper will probably spot all sorts of subtle things going on which her expertise will be able to sort out.

Ouch ouch ouch - those bruises :cry: . Years ago I had a tiny little dog who when he decided that he'd had enough walking or just wanted a cuddly would leap up behind me and bite the back of my thigh. Very painful - I know what little dogs can do, particularly if they are frightened and desperate to get your attention.

Guest donatella

Jane has a workshop this weekend so can't get to me until next weekend with my work schedule...but they have calmed a lot implanting everyone's advice so thank you. A long way to go though

Ouch, we forgive our munchkins a lot don't we? That's good you can go for walks, when Jake was at his worst I would frequently drive him to office parks for relaxing walks. All those lovely water features are pretty good fun on the weekend.

If something happens in the meantime and you need some urgent help I believe RSPCA has a behavioural help line. Also Dr Cam Day does emergency consults - his reviews are not all negative though he is expensive. Just some ideas :)

Guest donatella

Thanks guys tomorrow morning and of course Lucy has been an angel all week!!

Interested to hear what Jane says though