"parking" Your Dog

sheena

Our young boy Cricket, is so good at parking, that last week at agility training, I almost forgot to put him in the car. All the equipment had been put away & there he was still out in the middle of the paddock, waiting to be "un-parked". :laugh: It wasn't so much if people "park" their dogs, I was more wondering about this (the video) method of teaching it. I think that this "parking" is different to when we teach our dog to lie down on a mat till released, if you know what I mean.

Aww, Cricket that's so cute.

We would use the stand on the lead method to teach boisterous shelter dogs to be calm around people. Often these dogs would have spent a lot of time alone in the back yard with the only interaction with their people being to do "active" things like walk, play, be fed etc so they never learnt to be calm and self-settle when people are around. Because any training cues, rewards or corrections you give are attention in themselves you defeat the purpose of what you're trying to teach them by using those whereas by standing on the lead and ignoring them you leave it up to them to realise that their best option is being calm (the desired behaviour).

I'm fairly sure this technique is actually using negative reinforcement - so the unpleasant consequence of the lead being tight and jerking them if they are jumping around or pulling is removed when they are calm.

I agree with you that the video is teaching a different thing to a wait until released, it's for unexpected stimulating situations where not complying with a cue will be self-rewarding for the dog. This method gives a clear physical cue (standing on the lead) and doesn't allow the dog to disregard the cue for a self-reward.

ETA - it isn't the only way you could teach it though. As many of you have done, you can train a well rehearsed, well proofed stay or wait using positive reinforcement that would do the same thing but for dogs that find human attention highly rewarding that would be hard work!

Edited by Simply Grand

Our young boy Cricket, is so good at parking, that last week at agility training, I almost forgot to put him in the car. All the equipment had been put away & there he was still out in the middle of the paddock, waiting to be "un-parked". :laugh: It wasn't so much if people "park" their dogs, I was more wondering about this (the video) method of teaching it. I think that this "parking" is different to when we teach our dog to lie down on a mat till released, if you know what I mean.

We would use the stand on the lead method to teach boisterous shelter dogs to be calm around people. Often these dogs would have spent a lot of time alone in the back yard with the only interaction with their people being to do "active" things like walk, play, be fed etc so they never learnt to be calm and self-settle when people are around. Because any training cues, rewards or corrections you give are attention in themselves you defeat the purpose of what you're trying to teach them by using those whereas by standing on the lead and ignoring them you leave it up to them to realise that their best option is being calm (the desired behaviour).

I'm fairly sure this technique is actually using negative reinforcement - so the unpleasant consequence of the lead being tight and jerking them if they are jumping around or pulling is removed when they are calm.

I agree with you that the video is teaching a different thing to a wait until released, it's for unexpected stimulating situations where not complying with a cue will be self-rewarding for the dog. This method gives a clear physical cue (standing on the lead) and doesn't allow the dog to disregard the cue for a self-reward.

ETA - it isn't the only way you could teach it though. As many of you have done, you can train a well rehearsed, well proofed stay or wait using positive reinforcement that would do the same thing but for dogs that find human attention highly rewarding that would be hard work!

Yes - that's the kind of thing I was meaning. :)

Yes - that's the kind of thing I was meaning. :)

I think this will be a good thing to introduce to my beginners class when we start at the beginning of the year, as it can be a very stimulating experience coming to agility class for the first time for most dogs. Then they can lead onto really nice "stays" as we get further into it & the dogs learn to relax a bit better. I've never taken a Beginners Class before, so I am a bit nervous about what should be taught first, without boring the pants off anyone so they don't come back :laugh:

I am reading a DWD manual & they keep referring to the importance of "Parking" your dog, when you want to disconnect from him or while waiting for some activity. Teaching your dog to switch off on cue & relax. They give this video as the reference for teaching your dog to "Park". I am of two minds on how the method in this video fits in with positive reinforcement. What do you think ??? I did try it with my own dog last night & it seemed to work, after ignoring her scratching my leg, & sitting on my foot, she just laid down & went to sleep.

The manual is a culmination of many different training styles from top trainers here in Australia and from overseas. It gives you a grounding of how to perform many of the moves used in DWD, so you can work with whichever style suits you and your dog.

My BC boys pictures are on pages 59,79,99 and 100.

There is also and obedience manual as well if anyone is interested.

• 2 months later...

An update on "Parking Your Dog" & the method used in my original post. My Foundation Agility Class started last night. I had eight new dogs & handlers, all keen to become superstars overnight :laugh:

The first thing I did after a general introduction, without their dogs, was to get their dogs out, find a space where they & their dogs were comfortable & showed them how I wanted them to "Park" their dogs, so they could concentrate on what I was saying, instead of fiddling with their dogs. OMG, I can't believe how well it worked. They parked their dogs while waiting their turns & lined up with their dogs in park. I have never taken a Beginner class before, but I am so impressed with this lot :thumbsup: The first week was washed out, so I sent them some homework to do, which included some basic foundation stuff they could teach in the lounge room, plus a simple trick to teach their dog. I am going to try & keep the "homework" going, for as long as I am instructing these guys. I give my Advanced guys homework too. Just thought I would like to share, just how happy I am with my new class. I have never taught a Foundation Class before & I can tell you....I was a bit nervous...strange people & strange dogs.

And I did just as you see in the original video & along with my two helpers we went around & chatted to the students, introducing ourselves, shaking hands & completely ignoring the dogs :thumbsup:

Mrs. Rusty Bucket, if you want some homework, just PM me your email address & I can send it to you each week as I do it up for my class. I also do it for my advanced class. I have had good feedback from the first lesson & some are actually ASKING for homework :eek: I am only learning myself...always will be & I find by doing up notes on the lessons helps me to get my mind around things as well. So it's just a matter of turning my "work notes" into PDF file & sending them to my students. It is after all, very difficult for someone to take in all that is being taught in class & if they have the notes to refer to, it is a big help. Mind you, I am the only instructor at our club that does this & the other instructor is petrified that her class will want the same, as she is a one finger typist :laugh:

Nice one sheena. Had to laugh about the homework. I'm taking an Agility Foundation class this session at club, and have been providing homework handouts for them as well. Actually - I'm not organised enough to have them ready to hand out in class - mainly cos I'm still tweaking, and we don't always get through in class what I think I might. So they have to wait a day or so to find their homework on our club secret FB page, or via email :-) Think the waiting might be part of the fun. :laugh:

stressmagnet - so glad the 'parking is working for you and Ernie. We use it in a lot of our classes - the dogs 'get it' very quickly, and it gives them some chill time in an otherwise longish lesson. Really helps their settling and their impulse control I think.

Nice one sheena. Had to laugh about the homework. I'm taking an Agility Foundation class this session at club, and have been providing homework handouts for them as well. Actually - I'm not organised enough to have them ready to hand out in class - mainly cos I'm still tweaking, and we don't always get through in class what I think I might. So they have to wait a day or so to find their homework on our club secret FB page, or via email :-) Think the waiting might be part of the fun. :laugh:

stressmagnet - so glad the 'parking is working for you and Ernie. We use it in a lot of our classes - the dogs 'get it' very quickly, and it gives them some chill time in an otherwise longish lesson. Really helps their settling and their impulse control I think.

It certainly settles them. I think the "homework" thing is a great idea...wish I could have been given homework when I first started to train. I have a really lovely BC in the class with heaps of drive & confidence, but OH just told me that they mentioned they were having trouble with him jumping on them & scratching them. Hopefully the parking will help with that, but I thought I might just send them a bit of "extra" to work on. He is a lovely dog & nice owners. We had trouble getting him through the short tunnel, but with a little bit of shaping, finally he went through all by himself. It was party, party, party :thumbsup: So he really is a blank slate :)