Take Me Out And Shoot Me

Loving my Oldies

Some of you will have seen my thread on Danny's problems. Well he has now developed incontinence, poor little boy. I haven't mentioned this to the vet as I just don't know how he can cope with more medication.

Tamar (the youngest of the Moochers at nearly 11 - just a puppy) developed incontinence about a year ago and has been managed with Propalin.

The night before last I spread a mattress protector (additional to the usual one I have on my bed) under the bedding where Danny sleeps on my bed. He did a wee in his sleep, but then I have all the additional wash and the problem of trying to get dry the m/protector.

Last night I tried him with a belly band which I had had when my little toy poodle was a member of the pack. This worked :thumbsup: . I woke up early, checked and removed the b/band and carried a half asleep Danny down to the yard for a wee and came back to bed.

Big mistake as I had the most awful dreams - more like nightmares.

Tamar decided to snuggle down into my side. Woke up a couple of hours later, sniffing and with a wet pyjama leg. Tamar had wet the bed. We may need to increase her dose of Propalin and will talk to vet about that.

So what with the nightmares leaving me horribly distressed (so real and unrelenting) not a wonderful start to the day.

Off to buy some more mattress protectors, while the washing machine works overtime. Will be breaking my rule and leaving it working hard while I go out.

It's rotten when you have more than one old dog to nurse at the same time. I do understand. Someone else might say well at least crate the dog so it doesn't mess in your bed, but I could never bring myself to do that to her. I'd wake up with little hard pebbles of poo in the bed :eek: and as gross as that sounds I still couldn't bring myself to kick the old girl out of bed. She didn't even know she was doing it.

You have my sympathy. It can be very wearying. :(

Thanks everyone. Yes, K, I couldn't crate Danny, or any of them for that matter.

Very stressful for both you and the dogs I imagine. Can they both wear something at might, just in case?

Hopefully, increasing Tamar's medication will do the trick with her, Caz, and I'll keep up with the belly bands and extra matress protection with Danny and talk to the vet.

I have so much to do and yet here I am reading DOL and FB and feeling sorry for myself.

Get to, woman :provoke::provoke:

Mac is on propalin and it worked fine for 6-->8 months then he was dripping little bits of wee, I asked the vet if he could be put on Stilboestrol as well. I give him his Propalin morning and night and a Stilboestrol tablet on Wednesday and Saturday. So far that combination is working, I think Westiemum's Mac is on the same dosage.

Perhaps ask your vet if they can prescribe Stilboestrol as well.

Mac likes his Lady-tablets :laugh:

Oh DDD I hear ya sista! Although your doggy problems have been going on longer than mine. Last night I left Tempeh's cone off for a smidge too long to discover she had removed all her facial scabs and they were all over my bed linen. Blerch. :vomit:

I'm not having nightmares but wake at the shake of a cone and am constantly pretzeling around one dog or another who needs soothing during the night. Of course with my sister's dog being so old I wake if I can't hear her breathing too (she sleeps with us in the air cond). At least our situation will hopefully all be better next week and life will go back to normal.

Big hugs to you and the wet ones! XXX

Thanks for the medication suggestions, Boronia. On my [constantly] growing list.

LG, you and yours have been in the wars too.

I am back from my shopping: stocking up at the vet with repeat of Danny's meds and Hills Prescription cans; and target for a new pillow and another mattress protector.

I'd like to find some rubber mats which I can just wipe down if any of the leaky loves have accidents. M/protectors take too long to dry.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Tamar is okay, Christina. She isn't one of those dogs who feels bad about toileting inside -LOL. And Danny doesn't seem to be upset at wetting the bed and he was totally unconcerned about the belly band. His other problems are a different matter. He does feel sick to varying degrees each day and I try to give him lots of cuddle time, because that is what he likes best of all.

How big are your dogs? And how big is your bed?

If the dogs are smaller, could they sleep on bed, but in a kind of soft enclosure?

When Pepper was sick and not allowed to jump off bed, he slept in this 'pet dome' (http://www.petego.com/category/26/Carriers/product/291/PetDome). He actually looked quite comfortable in the end, and he still slept right next to my pillow.

I always put the mattress on bed with the shiny surface up. Not as nice as the cotton lining, but spills can be cleaned up a lot easier. Would that help?

I bought a 'nappy' for Pepper, just in case we ever have to stay overnight somewhere with carpets. Would nappies be an option?

Hope all works out ok.

All my dogs are small (toy really), Baby Pepper. As Danny hardly moves now once he goes to sleep, if his incontinence gets too bad and not able to be controlled by medication, I do have a soft crate that I could put on the bed.

I woke up this morning (have to start early with Danny's medication regime) to find everyone dry, Danny's belly band was dry too, so I took him downstairs to wee and then gave him the first of his medications.

Went back to bed and lying there thinking: thank goodness, no washing to do and with that poor Danny was violently ill and all his medication came up. Luckily (for me that is - god knows how Danny felt :cry: ) the throw up was confined to one of the throws which can just go into the wash once I've scraped it.

My previous dog Tessi was incontinent when she was 13 to 14 so I understand a little of what you are going though. Unfortunately I have no real suggestions or solutions, I just had to help her up and help to to toilet at times I thought about right but still had to clean up so much that I eventually ended ripping up the carpet. Lots of old towels strategically placed is probably going to make for the easiest clean-up.

So, not much help, but wanted you to know I am thinking of you Danny and Tamar.

PS. I know some people swear by Cranberry products for urinary issues, but the issues you are facing may be more muscular in nature, so dunno if it would be of any use?? Having said that, I wonder if some cranberry juice mixed in the water bowl would be a little pick-me-up??

PS. I know some people swear by Cranberry products for urinary issues, but the issues you are facing may be more muscular in nature, so dunno if it would be of any use?? Having said that, I wonder if some cranberry juice mixed in the water bowl would be a little pick-me-up??

Thanks Yonjuro.

Neither Danny nor Tamar drips (yet thank goodness :eek: ). So far their incontinence has only manifested when they are sleeping and they do sleep heavily, particularly Danny. The cranberry juice sounds interesting. I'll ask DOLer Steve about that.

Danny seems to be experiencing weakness in his back legs, so I think there might be issues there.

I know your cases are different being males, but have a look at this topic:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/256975-older-bitch-spay-incontinence/page__p__6472717#entry6472717

Indian corn silk (zea mays) is a herbal remedy for bladder infections, inflammation of the urinary system, inflammation of the prostate, kidney stones, and bedwetting. It may be worth a shot, especially as it is only $7.50 a packet, which lasts for two or three months.

ETA Just realised that one of your dogs is a female. I buy the tea from a health store, it is this brand Hilde Hemmes Herbal Teas.

I would try it on both of them, it can't hurt :)

Edited by trifecta

Try either baby changing mats, or the disposable mats they use at the hospitals for leaky patients. They may cost a bit, but compared to the work and cost of constant laundry, it may be wothwhile??

Edited by Gallomph

I would try it on both of them, it can't hurt :)

On the shopping list, trifecta :thumbsup:

Try either baby changing mats, or the disposable mats they use at the hospitals for leaky patients. They may cost a bit, but compared to the work and cost of constant laundry, it may be wothwhile??

I actually do have a couple of little baby bedding protectors which I put where Tamar sleeps and have the others on my shopping list.

The last few nights have been dry dry dry :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cranberry juice may help a little but it won't fix it. It won't do any harm I have used on a cat in the past & its quite harmless.

As it comes in a litre size you won't use it all up fast enough so its very nice mixed in with some vodka for yourself :)