Previcox--> Anyone Using It On Their Old(er) Dog?

Boronia

Penny (just turned 16) is getting decidely creaky in the joints. When she runs to the front gate to bark at next-door RidgieX (he waits for all the dogs to go rushing down, they all have a one minute bark-fest through the gate then all get bored and all walk away) she often limps on her right leg.

I took her to the vet yesterday and was prescribed 7 Previcox tablets, one each day for a week, if she is walking easier after a few days this'll tell us if she has arthritis, she will then go on a series of weekly injections.

Has any DOLer used Previcox?

How did it go?

My dogs are on regular Zydax injections and have previcox tablets if I think they are in need. I give them half a tablet for a few days in a row and so far this has settled down any limping I've noticed. If they were to require it more frequently then my vet has told me they would require blood tests.

I certainly think it has helped my two, who both have arthritis with any acute pain.

Both my old dogs (RIP) used various anti-inflammatories for arthritis. When Previcoxx or Rimadyl were used daily and for long periods of time they both developed pancreatitis which subsided when they stopped the drug.

If I remember correctly, we had to be very careful about the dosage and the timing. I think we halved the recommended daily dose and in the other instance we alternated days with Tramadol.

This is not to say that you will have the same problems but the pancreatitis stemmed from an elderly dog with an elderly liver which couldn't process the drugs as fast as a young healthy dog. Interestingly, my elderly mother has the same problem with NSAIDs.

EFS

Edited by SchnauzerMax

Yes on an elderly dog ,its a high dose meds but it worked well & for my dog the one that gave him lest side effects.

We didn't give daily or at full strength & our vet was happy with this method .

He was obviously worse in winter so making sure he exercised was part of the maintenance role & we increased the dose slightly ,in summer we went minimal BUT was careful to keep him active when the air con was on to not stiffen.

Rimaydal over heated my dogs ,he dug craters ,was restless & almost depressed ,the same on cartrofen tablets but could handle the injections ,Tramadal also over heated him & the reactions where very quick so we always try new meds when we are home to monitor