Smooth Collies

Jasper9

Hi fellow Members,

I am a new member and would like some help, I have a Pure Breed Smooth Collie he is 3 years in January. My question is what worming medication is suitable for Smooth Collies, I don't want to risk harming our precious boy as he means the world to us. We give him a separate heart worm tablet each night, I bought a large container of the heart worm tablets so only need the worming medication.

I would very much appreciate someone's help on this matter.

Kindest Regards,

Lyn

I was able to purchase the Heartworm tablets Online. They are Aristopet Heartworm tablets 200mg, Diethylcarbamazine Citrate 200mg. Here is an attached link www.beenleighfarmsupplies.com.au › who sell them. I did not buy my tablets from this site, I bought mine from another site about a year ago so cant remember the site. I I am cautious about what I give my Smooth Collie as we lost our first Smooth Collie and so I am very careful with our beautiful boy we have now. Our first Smooth Collie had a small amount of mange on his face and so I took him to the vet who was an Asian (no disrespect to anyone), but he appeared to not know what he was doing and prescribed Ivermectin. which I had no idea that it is dangerous to Collies. It ended up killing him, we purchased our current boy about 4 to 6 months later as I was really depressed and felt guilty because I had administered the poison to him, plus taken him to that shit vet, I should have left the vets because I didn't feel very confident with that vet, but I ignored my feelings as I was in a hurry. I love our beautiful boy he is my baby and I could not bear to see anything happen to him. Thanks for your help. :D

Edited by Jasper9

I was just curious as to which heartworm tablets you are currently using? I don't know of any daily ones. What have you been using previously for worming?

DeltaCharlie, do you not remember Dimmitrol? This was the first heartworm preventative before the monthly ones came out.

I have rough Collies and we use these:

http://greyhoundproductsdirect.com.au/shop/value-plus/canine-all-wormer-tablets/

I totally understand about you concerns with invermectin. Many vets still don't seem to know about MRD1 and I have had several tell me I'm fussing when I refuse to give my Collies drugs on the don not use list.

You can use most all wormers, I use the one above because it does everything but is very no frills.

I was just curious as to which heartworm tablets you are currently using? I don't know of any daily ones. What have you been using previously for worming?

DeltaCharlie, do you not remember Dimmitrol? This was the first heartworm preventative before the monthly ones came out.

How long ago? I only got my first dog Cody in 2005 :)

Avoid anything made from ivermectin. Unless your dog or both the parents have been tested for ivermectin sensitivity or MDR1 gene and they are "normal"

I would stay clear. Heart guard and some supermarket/cheap brands are ivermectin based.

Also I would not recommend the 6 or 12 month pro heart heart worm injection. I know quite a few collies who have lost their life after having this.

I use interceptor. My dogs are all MDR1 normal, but found this product to be both quite economical.

If you are giving daily heart worm tablets, then partak plus, drontal or endoguard all wormers are all fine.

Edited by Mystiqview

I recommend getting your collie tested, its a simple blood test and will relieve a lot of anxiety knowing what you can and cannot give.

I use advocate and a tape wormer and have used that to help fight off demodex mites as a puppy. My boy is a carrier speaking to the technical vet at Bayer this is safe (it has been tested on affected dogs) but its important to stick to the correct dosage.

I recommend getting your collie tested, its a simple blood test and will relieve a lot of anxiety knowing what you can and cannot give.

I use advocate and a tape wormer and have used that to help fight off demodex mites as a puppy. My boy is a carrier speaking to the technical vet at Bayer this is safe (it has been tested on affected dogs) but its important to stick to the correct dosage.

It's not even a blood test any more. Buccal swab. Orivet does them they also have a list of authorised collections agents. For MDR1 and you are not needing an "official" result (for breed testing etc.) you can do the buccal swab yourself and send it off.