Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

I would be suspicious of a breeder who did not interrogate me if I wanted one of their pups. In fact I would be happy for the breeder or one of their trusted friends arranged to do a house check before agreeing to sell a pup to me.

When I was rescuing a particular large breed of dog I always did a house check as well as doing some careful questioning before allowing one of my rescues to be rehomed. I rescued only one dog at a time and only over a three year period. I didn't rehome many dogs but the people who took my rescue dogs kept in touch with me for the rest of their dog's life. One of them has become a good friend over the years.

The only person who did disappoint me was a member of my immediate family. He loves his dog but I guess he has a different way of caring for a dog to my way.

If you don't like it, move on. Personally I expect to be interrogated a bit - shows the breeder cares about their puppies. Breeders have to protect their puppies from backyard breeders, puppy farmers and people who just want a cute puppy.

I don't mind a little interrogation but I still believe she was a bit excessive and to no avail because, ultimately, a few snapshots of a backyard, a person, the interior of a home or whatever else proves absolutely nothing. It's no indication of what I'm like as a person and if I'm capable of looking after her beloved dog. I spoke to this person at length, we covered a wide array of subjects concerning dogs, I also told her a great deal about myself and about my past pets, that should have been more than sufficient in telling her I am a responsible person who doesn't take animals for granted.

I don't breed but foster dogs - I go to the homes of possible adopters a couple of times to see where the dog/pup will be living.

I ask what they do for a living, how much time with the dog be on its own, what sort of exercise/enrichment/training will be done with the dog.

I ask loads of questions and if someone was put out by my questions,I woudl think they had something to hide. I don't need photos because I visit the locations (fosters only go to homes nearby).

I think this breeder sounds like she is being thorough and I applaud her for it - sounds like she just wants the best home for her pups.

Edited by Staffyluv

The photo may be so they can look you up in Facebook and be sure they have the right person. Facebook is a good way to check ppl out I have to say.

Really? If someone was checking me out via my Facebook page they wouldn't entrust me with a pot plant :laugh:

Perfume I have never bought a dog from a breeder but in rescue when I do a house check I am pretty over the top with my questions and checking out the house and yard. I also take photos (with permission) of possible trouble spots that I will forward to whatever rescue I'm doing the check for along with a war and peace sized email on what I think of the prospective home, the person and anyone else that lives there. I've never had anyone complain that I was too thorough. Can't say I've ever taken a photo of a person but if I wanted that dog and that's what they wanted then I'd do it. Yes I agree it's a bit odd but it's no biggie really IMO.

Well for starters no vet will talk to the breeder ,they are bound by the privacy act .

Not so if their client gives them permission to speak with the breeder.

Wouldn't do it to our vet if every person suggested they speak to our vet she would be busy talking on the phone instead of doing her job infact i dare say it would reach a point where they would say No More ,just the same as we won't hand out puppy buyers phone numbers for others to have a chat with ,we respect the privacy of our vet & previous puppy owners ,if people talk with puppy owners in public that is great .

I can tell you now even if given permission vets are reluctant & this is from a boarding kennel point of view with dogs with medical histories & written consent forms from owners that both vet & kennels have .

And yes we have had vets with permission refuse to treat a clients dogs whilst in boarding far to many times & with severe medical histories .

I guess the resounding answer is no, it's not over the top at all.

In addition - regarding the photos of the yard, sometimes there might be issues that you don't spot so you tell the breeder that your fences are fine. It takes an experienced eye to see possible escape routes that you may have overlooked. Nothing personal. I know I've done house-checks and have identified weak spots that a dog could've taken advantage of.

And about what drives you, I agree that the breeder may be wanting to know what your plan was for the next decade or two. If you were highly focused on your career or starting a family, then they may be more cautious. All perfectly normal.

A lot of the information that the breeder is asking you for, is what i gave in the course of an initial (long) phone conversation and then a series of email conversations between my breeder and me before the litter was born and during the first 8 weeks. I wanted an ongoing relationship with any breeder than i bought from; i think it's an important part of buying a pure bred dog.

I wanted the breeder to know who i was, about our previous dogs, our lifestyle, our family situation, the physical environment of our current home, my training goals, how we'd care and love any dog they sold us etc I figured anyone worth their salt would want to know as much about me as i wanted to know about them.

Ruth (our breeder) has been a wonderful (long distance) friend, mentor and advocate of our breed - we keep in touch via email, text and facebook regularly...and the latter has allowed us to 'meet' other families with dogs from her too. 3.5 years after bringing Wilbur home, we went right back to her to purchase his genetic half sister; Ruth was delighted to send another of her dogs to us.

Perhaps, when you speak to breeders you can initiate the discussion and 'offer yourself' so to speak; that way the breeder doesn't have to give you the third degree and only ask questions in areas that you've missed.

Edited by suziwong66

Can understand the request for pictures of house and yard and where the dog will be sleeping - also a Google map search can confirm the authenticity of the photos in most cases. A vet reference is also reasonable - providing the person has owned a pet before. But a personal photo? No, that is going too far I think.

By all means breeders should do what they think right in determining good puppy homes, but I don't really get the point of asking for photos. If they think people are lying about their living space, then what is going to stop them sending false photos? I had a puppy buyer ask if I wanted him to send photos of their yard and although I said they could if they wanted to, I didn't need them as I have no way of knowing it's their yard and at some stage I just have to trust them. If my conversations with puppy buyers are making me concerned, they don't get a pup.

Like Kirty said, facebook can be very useful ;)

I agree with everything you said. I have offered to supply the breeder with the link to my FB profile, she's more than welcome to have a look. :)

Can understand the request for pictures of house and yard and where the dog will be sleeping - also a Google map search can confirm the authenticity of the photos in most cases. A vet reference is also reasonable - providing the person has owned a pet before. But a personal photo? No, that is going too far I think.

Agree. Sounds like a breeder I wouldn't want a bar of, what could she is trying to glean from a photo? I would much rather someone I could build a relationship with, not someone who was suspicious from the get go.

Having said that, it is important to have a long email or phone chat initially to give the breeder info. I wrote an essay to my dogs breeder about who we are, what we want, what we are looking for in a pet, what we can offer a pet, what we like to do, our work, our housing situation and I didn't gloss over any of the rubbish bits either, we rent, OH works from home, but can work very long days, I work normal days but start early usually, but finish early, whereas OH starts late and finishes late. I also made clear our plans for the future RE kids, work etc etc.

It might be worth making yourself a template email you can chop and change as required, and make it known they're not the only breeder you're talking to as well, otherwise that just seems rude. :)

• Like 1

Haven't read the latest replies but for me the meaning behind a photo of yourself, questions etc is for the breeder someone WHO is willing to go to these lengths to prove they are a genuine person.

Most would say screw that, and keep looking. Too much hard work because they don't see the honest reasoning behind it.

Easier to get a puppy from the pet store. Hand over cash and ta-da!

No pet stores for me, thank you very much :eek: Although I feel sorry for those pups, I don't want to enrich the lives of those detestable puppy millers.

Agree. Sounds like a breeder I wouldn't want a bar of, what could she is trying to glean from a photo? I would much rather someone I could build a relationship with, not someone who was suspicious from the get go.

Having said that, it is important to have a long email or phone chat initially to give the breeder info. I wrote an essay to my dogs breeder about who we are, what we want, what we are looking for in a pet, what we can offer a pet, what we like to do, our work, our housing situation and I didn't gloss over any of the rubbish bits either, we rent, OH works from home, but can work very long days, I work normal days but start early usually, but finish early, whereas OH starts late and finishes late. I also made clear our plans for the future RE kids, work etc etc.

It might be worth making yourself a template email you can chop and change as required, and make it known they're not the only breeder you're talking to as well, otherwise that just seems rude. :)

We did have a lengthy phone conversation. Told breeder I'm retired, am wanting a predominantly indoor pet, pup will have access to half an acre of running space which is securely fenced (colour bond fencing), no children, elderly mother lives with me, am mostly a homebody and when going on holidays (doesn't happen too often, lol) would take pup with me. Living on a fair few acres with new fencing so pup can follow me around without running into any peril.

Although I was surprised, I'm not condemning the breeder, her pup….her decision.

The dog would be sleeping on its own bed in our bedroom floor :)

Works both ways I reckon. I'm not sure what this puppy is going to cost you but I do know purebred dogs are not cheap. If you are going to part with your hard earned cash I'd be wanting a pic of where puppy is living, sleeping quarters, siblings, parents. You'd need to check out where the pups are coming from is clean.

Ask for a pic of the breeder too. You don't know if this is a real person either.

I'd be happy to post pics of my garden, where puppy will be sleeping, other pets,fencing ect but no way in hell will I send someone a pic of me. Do they really want to risk breaking their screen? LOL

seriously that's pretty funny, how did it come to land on your head, or is it there all the time? :laugh:

That was at Circular Quay yesterday afternoon... we had just had lunch, and this chap had been sharing my chips - from his perch atop my head.

T.

Didn't get to provide just photos with my first breeder. He came to the house and inspected himself before he'd go ahead. All worked out well smile.gif Don't be scared off from providing extra peace of mind for the breeder. Doesn't take much to do and remember, the breeder will always be there for you and any questions you have even years down the track.

Kudos to the breeder I say.

And like a couple of others, I too believe the seemingly intrusive requests may well be a test to see just how far you are willing to go to get one of their puppies. A gauge to see if you are an easy going person that would feel privileged to get one of their puppies or someone who feels entitled and is likely to get their back up over something that unless one had something to hide should really be no big deal.

This breeder may have a list of puppy people as long as your arm and not be able to supply puppies to many of the wonderful homes they already have. They could afford to be as picky and choosy as they wish. I see absolutely no harm in the questions and if I was absolutely keen as on what this breeder is producing, their ethics, their lines and animals husbandry (not something I really think you are yet actually familiar with or aware of) I would be jumping through hoops.

As others have said, you are leaving your run late with each litter. If you take time to build rapport with a breeder prior to them having a litter you may find there is less pressure for the breeder to get to know you so quickly and therefore they may be less inclined to hit so hard with detail criteria.

I am planning my foundation litter around this time next year. I already have several people on my puppy list. I am getting to know these people now. Knowing they are willing to wait and are doing their research gives them all huge ticks in my books.

Edited by Starkehre
  • Haha 1