Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

She rang me the following day and we spoke at length, I asked a couple more questions and I am of two minds as to whether I should go ahead with the pup. I am not going into detail about the issue.

So now the breeder is willing to sell you this pup, and you are being hesitant about whether you actually now want it?

T.

What part are you not understanding? It was not until she called me and we spoke again that I posed a particular question to her and she provided me with the answer, had I not asked that question I never would have known…..it certainly did not come up in conversation the first couple of times we spoke on the phone.

I'm understanding that your are (rightfully) fussy about what you want in a pup... but are a bit naffed off at breeders who appear to be just as fussy about who they choose to sell a pup to.

I've recently decided on a breed (that I've owned before) and a breeder I want a pup from. I could have had one from a recent litter, but the timing is not conducive for me to bring a pup into my hectic life.... but I WILL be travelling to Tasmania sometime before the litter comes up that the timing is right for to meet the breeder and their dogs in person. I live in NSW.

True quality is worth waiting for...

T.

You are not doing yourself any favours with your attitude towards breeders I am not one ,but find nothing strange or arrogant about any questions you have listed .I would not sell to a person who was so obsessed by symmetry ,shape etc,etc.almost daily changes of desired breed ,Im sorry but I doubt your sincerity....apologize in advance if I'm wrong. :confused:

• Haha 1

FWIW here is my opinion. If I was going to buy a pup I would want to be interviewing the breeder to make sure that the pups had been well treated and the parents selected for the right reasons i.e. health and temperament. I would also expect the breeder to be wanting to meet me. I would not be buying a pup over the Internet.

I would not be waiting years for a pup. That would be years of my life wasted. But then I would not be setting my heart on one particular pup (or even one particular breed) and nothing else would do. Before I decided on a breed I would be checking on availability and if rare I would be looking elsewhere. Obviously I am not as choosy as some on here are. A dog is a dog is a dog and I love them all.

I think someone asking for photos of the purchaser and the inside of their home is invasive of their privacy and it is something the police would be advising people not to comply with, especially as the breeder would not know if the photos were legit so why ask for them. I would be suspicious.

• Haha 1

You are not doing yourself any favours with your attitude towards breeders I am not one ,but find nothing strange or arrogant about any questions you have listed .I would not sell to a person who was so obsessed by symmetry ,shape etc,etc.almost daily changes of desired breed ,Im sorry but I doubt your sincerity....apologize in advance if I'm wrong. :confused:

I have to agree with your comment. I am not a breeder just a dog lover and there seems to be too much emphasis on what the pup looks like. It would seem to me anyway, that the OP comes across to the breeders as undecided and much too obsessed with looks. I know that there are breeders out there who do feel they are holier than thou, but they are the ones that I would steer clear of. I want an ongoing relationship with the breeder in regards to my pup, so yes, it works both ways. I like you apologize if I am wrong but.....

Asking questions to determine if I'm a suitable person for her pups is her right and I respect that, asking for photos of myself and the inside of my home is an invasion of privacy. How about if I was to return the favour and start asking breeders to send me photos of their kennels and/or the pups living quarters and given that most of them tell me their dogs are not kennelled, perhaps I should ask for photos of the inside of their house, what do you reckon? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see the look on their face if I was blatant enough to ask for such photos, lol.

As for being concerned with the colour, type and symmetry of markings.….yes, I am and am not ashamed to say so…or is that only a breeder's prerogative? Fair's fair, give me a break, sheeeeesh.

• Like 1

Asking questions to determine if I'm a suitable person for her pups is her right and I respect that, asking for photos of myself and the inside of my home is an invasion of privacy. How about if I was to return the favour and start asking breeders to send me photos of their kennels and/or the pups living quarters and given that most of them tell me their dogs are not kennelled, perhaps I should ask for photos of the inside of their house, what do you reckon? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see the look on their face if I was blatant enough to ask for such photos, lol.

As for being concerned with the colour, type and symmetry of markings.….yes, I am and am not ashamed to say so…or is that only a breeder's prerogative? Fair's fair, give me a break, sheeeeesh.

You have every right to ask to see photographs of where the dogs are housed.

Guest donatella

You could live in a death trap for dogs, this person clearly loves their dogs and wants them to go to safe homes. You are in your right to ask to see the kennels and how she brings up her dogs too... A lot of us had the privilege of going to the breeders house and seeing this first hand.

Edited by donatella

Doubt my sincerity? what the heck's that supposed to mean? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Having more than one favourite breed of dog is a sign of insincerity? :scold:

You wouldn't sell a pup to someone who likes a specific look on a pup? Of course you wouldn't because as I found out, you would either want to keep it yourself or allow a fellow breeder pick of the litter. One thing I've learnt is that some breeders are too high up the pedestal and are ruining it for the decent ones. By all means ask questions but also bear in mind that sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it….and you need to respect a person's privacy as well.

One thing some of you have conveniently ignored is my saying that I was an open book when talking to the breeder, I actually volunteered information about my lifestyle, my current situation, my living establishment, my family … amongst other things. I even offered to Facebook friend her, what more do any of you want?

• Like 1

You'd be surprised what people will think is fine so they'll send a photo of a death trap. Some people will happily tell you they beat their dogs into submission or they alpha roll them or other weird things. I guess at least if you sent a fake photo rather than a real one you have some clue that your garden "bordering on a train line without a fence" is inappropriate.

See I'm with you on color, I couldn't care if the dogs got skew teeth or one ear missing but I don't want a white dog. That's just my thing.

Edited by hankdog

You have every right to ask to see photographs of where the dogs are housed.

It is a free country and I guess it would be within my right to ask for photos of where the dogs are housed but in reality how often does this happen? How many times have breeders been asked to supply such photos? lol. I can safely say that if I was to ask such a question, that would be the beginning of the end in most cases, lol

After much thought,, my first choice is the Chihuahua BUT I've come to the conclusion that I may never obtain the type of Chihuahua I'm after as breeders keep that type for themselves or sell it amongst themselves.

Breeders - sell it amongst themselves? What do you mean by that? And maybe you could get yourself included in their "in crowd" by actually having some face to face meetings and being MORE PATIENT.

And how would you feel if you were told that you were "second choice" or 10th choice and therefore miss out on a puppy... I understand you can love all three breeds - but it also (from out here reading your posts) makes you seem a bit indecisive.

And breeders get burnt by indecisive buyers every day - because they "maybe I'd like that puppy, I'll have to think about it" - indecisive and then they change their minds. Some of these tyre kickers never even let the breeder know they've changed their mind about where they're getting their puppy. Can you see how what you've written in here - can make you look like one of those people?

I am by far an "indecisive" buyer, as I said dozens of times already; all 3 breeds would suit me to a T but I am not prepared to just purchase any Chihuahua or just any Sheltie, I am after a particular look and if I were to obtain that look, I would be more than happy. I like to spend time, on the phone, with a breeder and detail exactly what it is I am looking for. For example, I do not want a Chihuahua with an overshot or undershot bite, I don't want the "Deer" type Chihuahua, I want an apple head with a shortish nose as opposed to a long, pointy snout. In regards to the Sheltie, I would like one with a full collar and even facial markings as I prefer symmetrical markings. I would like a friendly, approachable Sheltie as opposed to being timid and/or nervous. I have spoken to several Chihuahua breeders and without fail they ALWAYS keep those pups for themselves or sell to another breeder they know…and I'm not making invalid assumptions, I am being told as much. The same can be said of Sheltie breeders. Another issue is that I do NOT want a young pup that has already been desexed. My vet highly discourages it. Basically, I've kept an open mind in that if my pup of choice was to present itself, be it a Chihuahua or a Sheltie I would purchase it. I don't see a problem with that. I would love each of these breeds equally.

One of our staff and her mum recently purchased a Chi each from a breeder in Vic and having seen one of the pups, I would consider it to have characteristics you want. So there definately are breeders out there willing to sell to newcombers, it is just a case of finding the right person. Same with Shelties, I know a number of lovely breeders who will work with their puppy buyers - but you need to remember that Mother Nature doesn't always provide numbers or specifics in a litter.

Sags

:)

I want to thank those that have shown me support and understanding, thank you….your kind words have meant so much, I cannot tell you. :grouphug: I came here with the best of intentions, didn't have any idea I would be crucified. I've said my piece and have nothing further to add, no matter what I say, I will be lynched regardless. Through all of this, I haven't lost faith in all breeders, there's always the exception to every rule, it's unfortunate that some spoil it for the others.

I would always ask - if I could not visit - to see pics of pups at home .... why not? I would also ask what pups had been exposed to so far ... what handling they had .... in regard to loud noise/other animals/household activities ...children.....

I will never forget a breeder who bred/boarded cats ..and also bred Irish Wolfhounds . What a shambles inside - but how wonderful it was for all animals concerned - huge dogs/pen with pups in teh middle of the lougeroom /cats /kids/wild birds being fed/people coming & going ......she had lovely absolutely calm animals .

I want to thank those that have shown me support and understanding, thank you….your kind words have meant so much, I cannot tell you. :grouphug: I came here with the best of intentions, didn't have any idea I would be crucified. I've said my piece and have nothing further to add, no matter what I say, I will be lynched regardless. Through all of this, I haven't lost faith in all breeders, there's always the exception to every rule, it's unfortunate that some spoil it for the others.

It may not feel like it - but DOL has actually treated you fairly kindly :o

I hope there is a breeder with whom you 'click' and who has what you are seeking. Good luck on the quest :)

You know you all started somewhere and none of you are perfect no matter how much you think you all are, the way you come off on DOL is the reason why no one dares mention DOL outside of DOL, a lot of breeders and dog owners hate this forum and you are all proving the exact reason why!

And many people like and respect this forum, though it is not was it used to be. The reason many of us are here is because we like the forum. If you hate it, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

hahahahahahaha better the devil you know I say.

Look at yourselves, you give 10 points to anyone new that comes onto DOL and asks initial questions, but as soon as those questions go beyond 'what breed is right for me?' you crucify them. You tell people to do all the research they can but then you crucify anyone who says 'why don't breeders keep their websites up to date?'.

Most of you appear to think you are gods and that everyone should bow down to you, let alone question why you do anything you do.

There are many fantastic breeders on here but they are the ones talking to people behind the scenes, the ones that truly want to help people and not crucify them until they throw their hands up and go to a puppy farmer, and yes I have proof of this and they actually recommended the puppy farmer to me!!!

Though you quoted me I trust your reply is not directed towards me as I have never bred a dog and will never breed one.

What is wrong with wanting breeders to keep their websites UTD. What use is a website that's 4-5 years old?

If a breeder recommended you seek out a puppy farmer you must have annoyed and frustrated that breeder beyond reason.

You demand people look at themselves. Perhaps this may also apply to you.

It may not feel like it - but DOL has actually treated you fairly kindly :o

I hope there is a breeder with whom you 'click' and who has what you are seeking. Good luck on the quest :)

I think that being attacked is better than being ignored. When you are under attack you can choose to ignore, but when you are being ignored there is nothing that you can do.

Some DOLers are also very helpful and kind and I have learnt a lot about people as well as dogs in the short time I have been on here. Thankyou DOL. Perfume I hope you learn to appreciate this kinder side as well.

She rang me the following day and we spoke at length, I asked a couple more questions and I am of two minds as to whether I should go ahead with the pup. I am not going into detail about the issue.

So now the breeder is willing to sell you this pup, and you are being hesitant about whether you actually now want it?

T.

What part are you not understanding? It was not until she called me and we spoke again that I posed a particular question to her and she provided me with the answer, had I not asked that question I never would have known…..it certainly did not come up in conversation the first couple of times we spoke on the phone.

I'm understanding that your are (rightfully) fussy about what you want in a pup... but are a bit naffed off at breeders who appear to be just as fussy about who they choose to sell a pup to.

I've recently decided on a breed (that I've owned before) and a breeder I want a pup from. I could have had one from a recent litter, but the timing is not conducive for me to bring a pup into my hectic life.... but I WILL be travelling to Tasmania sometime before the litter comes up that the timing is right for to meet the breeder and their dogs in person. I live in NSW.

True quality is worth waiting for...

T.

The National is in NSW next year, so you may be able to meet sooner than you think :thumbsup: