Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

You are not doing yourself any favours with your attitude towards breeders I am not one ,but find nothing strange or arrogant about any questions you have listed .I would not sell to a person who was so obsessed by symmetry ,shape etc,etc.almost daily changes of desired breed ,Im sorry but I doubt your sincerity....apologize in advance if I'm wrong. :confused:

I have to agree with your comment. I am not a breeder just a dog lover and there seems to be too much emphasis on what the pup looks like. It would seem to me anyway, that the OP comes across to the breeders as undecided and much too obsessed with looks. I know that there are breeders out there who do feel they are holier than thou, but they are the ones that I would steer clear of. I want an ongoing relationship with the breeder in regards to my pup, so yes, it works both ways. I like you apologize if I am wrong but.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the puppy of your dreams. Of course what the pup looks like is important to the buyer. When I bought my first Cavalier I knew exactly what I wanted. I wanted a tri colour pup with symmetrical markings. I don't find asymmetrical markings attractive. The breeder was happy to sell me the pup I wanted. She saw nothing wrong in me wanting a puppy for colour and markings though had she suggested a different pup would be more suitable for me I would have gone with her choice if the pup also had what I wanted in a puppy. I did not want a different colour pup. We had exchanged emails and phone calls and met when I went to collect my puppy.

I bought my Rottweiler and Cavaliers from registered breeders but I have to say in each circumstance there was little to no interest from the breeder in their pups. My young Rottweiler developed a ruptured cruciate ligament and I found the dam had the same problem. When I rang the breeder for advice she showed no interest though I wanted nothing from her but advice. I never heard from her again for the life of my dog. With my girl Cavalier, I sent pictures and a run down of the puppy after I brought her home but the breeder didn't respond and I've never heard from her.

With my Cavalier boy. On arriving home I discovered he had an umbilical hernia. I called the breeder to ask if it should be repaired immediately or could it wait until I had my boy desexed. The breeder said to wait and that she would pay for the hernia repair but she also suggested having the pup desexed at what I considered to be way too young.

When the desex was done and the hernia repaired the cost of the repair was only $30 so I contacted the breeder because she asked me to tell her when it had been done. Upon saying it was only $30 and I didn't want her to pay for it she told me that was great because she didn't have a spare $30. I never heard another word from that breeder but emailed her on my boy's 10th birthday to tell her what a wonderful dog he is and a few details of his life with me. I received a brief reply saying she remembered me and the stunning pup I chose. She asked no other questions about him. He is now 10 1/2 and is on medication for congestive heart failure. I haven't bothered to advise the breeder.

I'd never castigate all breeders, just pointing out that not all breeders are God like. We have breeders on this forum who go above and beyond to support their puppy buyers and if I was looking for another Cavalier I would approach an interstate breeder from this forum (Hi Jed). I say "Choose your breeder as carefully as you choose your breed".

Perfume if you are certain of the breed you want, hold out until you get the pup of your dreams. You know what that pup looks like. Anyone who says what the pup looks like is not important is being unrealistic.

To the OP, in my case, I wanted a pup of a completely different colouring/marking - I wanted a black or red tri Aussie, and I really didn't like the look of the blue merles. I thought they were hideously ugly! But my breeder thrust a blue merle dog into my arms anyway and said, "This dog is going to be perfect for you."

So I took a chance and turned a blind eye to the colour and took it on trial - my breeder was right, her temperament was perfect for me. She is now my heart dog. And you know what! Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE her colour/markings and I love the blue merles - even much more so than I originally liked the blacks and reds!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, different colours or markings are really not that important in the long run, colours and markings change especially as pups grow. So even if you don't end up with the colour/markings you want, you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I certainly was.

Just wanted to share my experience since you mentioned wanting a specific colour type. And I certainly understand wanting a pup that looks a certain way. Just saying please don't completely rule out a pup that may be 100% perfect for you temperament-wise just because it's got a different colour or slightly off markings. And good luck with your search for a pup. I hope you get what you are looking for. :)

Edited by silentchild

To the OP, in my case, I wanted a pup of a completely different colouring/marking - I wanted a black or red tri Aussie, and I really didn't like the look of the blue merles. I thought they were hideously ugly! But my breeder thrust a blue merle dog into my arms anyway and said, "This dog is going to be perfect for you."

So I took a chance and turned a blind eye to the colour and took it on trial - my breeder was right, her temperament was perfect for me. She is now my heart dog. And you know what! Now I LOVE LOVE LOVE her colour/markings and I love the blue merles - even much more so than I originally liked the blacks and reds!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, different colours or markings are really not that important in the long run, colours and markings change especially as pups grow. So even if you don't end up with the colour/markings you want, you may be pleasantly surprised. I know I certainly was.

Just wanted to share my experience since you mentioned wanting a specific colour type. And I certainly understand wanting a pup that looks a certain way. Just saying please don't completely rule out a pup that may be 100% perfect for you temperament-wise just because it's got a different colour or slightly off markings. And good luck with your search for a pup. I hope you get what you are looking for. :)

Just want to endorse these comments. You will be living with the temperament a lot longer than the looks will appeal :)

Like my friend searching for a dog ... wanted a greyhound or similar - blah blah blah ... ended up with a Koolie bitch - who is THE most admirable fit and an almost perfect dog :) I have never had the luxury of choosing dogs based on looks :) 'type' maybe - but that's it .

I am finding it a bit odd that suggesting that Perfume actually meet with breeders until she finds one willing to sell her a pup that meets her fussy and somewhat superficial criteria (my opinion of what she's written) - gets some of us (who aren't even breeders) called arrogant and condescending.

A complete inability to wait for a litter - doesn't suggest the kind of patience I'd be looking for in a puppy owner.

And everything Perfume has been accusing various breeders of - take a look in the mirror.

And remember that breeders read threads like these. And plenty of them have told you what you need to do to get the puppy of your dreams and you outright refuse and reject and then accuse of being rude and overbearing and privacy invaders.

If you want a responsible breeder's puppy - you're going to have to give up some of your privacy. If you think they're going too far - what's wrong with saying you're a bit uncomfortable with that and why do they want it. There are scammers (not) selling your dream puppy - and so it's fine to be asking questions too instead of bitching in here.

You might be a fantastic home for a puppy but at the moment you're coming across as defensive and all those same things you've been accusing the breeders who have turned you down of being. But most of all - very impatient.

• Haha 1

The other thing is, not once have you mentioned conformation, temperament or health. Just color, makings and head shape.

Now, sure you are entitled to want these certain traits in your next pup, I don't see any problem with that as such. What I can't understand is that your wish list seems to be all upside down.

You seem to be a bit dirty on breeders keeping their pick puppy or passing them onto the stud owner in lieu. Do you think they should be passing on these litter picks to you?

OK, so it seems to me that it just so happens that the puppies you've desired from the litters you've inquired about just also happen to be the ones that tick all the other boxes such as having excellent type and temperament, fitting the Breed Standard. These pups are no doubt considered show/breeding prospects. Do you expect to be offered a show/breeding prospect? You are not offering a show home, nor have you built rapport with a breeder or proven yourself, so therefore cannot possibly expect to be offered such a good quality specimen of the breed.

Not suggesting that you necessarily should be able to, but for the point of this post I will say that from what I gather I doubt you would actually be able to identify excellent conformation if it was stacked in front of you. Therefore the breeders that seem to be more ready to part with puppies exhibiting the attributes you want, may in fact be average to poor examples of the breed. And this may not be an issue for you at all, as long as you get your color, coat, markings, head shape.

Yes, you will be far more readily furnished with one of these puppies. And if a head type or markings, coat type is more important to you than getting a puppy that is closer to the Breed Standard all over, more sound, better example of temperament etc, then that is your choice entirely. And if you wish to go down this path, choose breeders that are less high profiled and don't seem to have as much regard for their breed.

I am not sure of what occurs in Chihuahuas, but are you aware of all the possibility health issues that can related to dogs with shorter muzzles and certain skull to muzzle ratios? Just saying, there is a lot more to a dog than looks.

By all means stand your ground for your litter pick puppy, want it now and want all the physical attributes that are not relevant to health or Breed Standard. Don't be concerned about top line, angulation, forehand and other important virtues. Plus don't be prepared to wait. I think you are setting yourself up for failure. Your expectations are simply unrealistic. Something will have to give, be it waiting time, puppy quality, your personal wish list.

Look I get it. I get that you were surprised about being screened so vehemently. But you are quite right, if you had come here first you would have realised that this is pretty much normal procedure by many breeders and been less shocked.

I also think that if you were slightly less defensive and more ready to actually listen to advice you are being given, you would be a lot further along in your puppy purchasing journey.

And then there's the latest issue which you chose not to discuss. Fair enough. Nobodys business but yours. But if it happens to be related to contract/s or breeders terms, this is quite common/normal also. But you may wish to chat about it to get some advice as to whether or not it is a fair contract for both parties.

Good luck :D

Edited by Starkehre

I'm hopefully breeding my first litter soon. I own one bitch. I will be taking my pick first and the owner of the stud may want a pup too. That is my prerogative. It's also something I've accepted from breeders of my own dogs. I haven't been convinced on the merits of joint ownership so I just looked for another breeder. No drama :) Good luck in your search.

• Like 1

I'm hopefully breeding my first litter soon. I own one bitch. I will be taking my pick first and the owner of the stud may want a pup too. That is my prerogative. It's also something I've accepted from breeders of my own dogs. I haven't been convinced on the merits of joint ownership so I just looked for another breeder. No drama :) Good luck in your search.

TSD ooohhhhh :) How excitement .

And people wonder why joe blogs goes to the petshop to buy a pup, breeders who treat buyers like this are what causes the problem.

There has to be a middle ground.

There are lots of us in the middle ground.

I must be odd. In my now breed for my first dog I asked for a dog that was a solid colour with little white as we live in an area that the sun is very bitey and hot and the dogs go to the beach often and sunburn is a real concern. The colour it's self I didn't give a hoot about. I asked for a sound physically and mentally dog and would have prefered a girl - purely becasue that is what I had always had, but if one was not available I wasn't too fussed about that either.

I had been speaking to the breeder for some time and knew what her dogs looked liked and knew what the parents of the litters looked like and was happy with what, I saw and had an idea what the pups would look like.

Edited by OSoSwift

This thread started off with my being surprised at the 20 questions I was asked, why was I surprised? Because it never happened before. I have purchased dogs from Registered Breeders before and have not been asked a single thing so there was an element of surprise BUT the thing I found most off-putting wasn't so much the questions being asked but the manner in which they were asked albeit I was taken aback when asked for personal photos of myself, lol. Had I been a regular poster here on DOL I may not have been surprised with the questioning as I would have expected it. One final thing, as a breeder, do ask question but try and adopt the right approach, being abrasive and suspicious is not the way to go about it. If you've been burned before, I genuinely feel for you but don't go tarring everyone with the same dirty brush.

Gee you are coming across as very rude. If you had ever bred a litter you would know just how precious our babies are to us. Good breeders put their life and soul into their pups, it tears us apart having to sell them to strangers. But if you want your breed to go on then you have to breed and you have to sell. Just because you think you are a wonderful owner doesn't cut any ice with me. You have to prove you are good enough for one of my pups to get one. The mere fact you have bought pups before without having to answer any questions makes me wonder just how ethical those breeders were.

You are not doing yourself any favours with your attitude towards breeders I am not one ,but find nothing strange or arrogant about any questions you have listed .I would not sell to a person who was so obsessed by symmetry ,shape etc,etc.almost daily changes of desired breed ,Im sorry but I doubt your sincerity....apologize in advance if I'm wrong. :confused:

Asking questions to determine if I'm a suitable person for her pups is her right and I respect that, asking for photos of myself and the inside of my home is an invasion of privacy. How about if I was to return the favour and start asking breeders to send me photos of their kennels and/or the pups living quarters and given that most of them tell me their dogs are not kennelled, perhaps I should ask for photos of the inside of their house, what do you reckon? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see the look on their face if I was blatant enough to ask for such photos, lol.

As for being concerned with the colour, type and symmetry of markings.….yes, I am and am not ashamed to say so…or is that only a breeder's prerogative? Fair's fair, give me a break, sheeeeesh.

You could ask me and I would have provided them, I've got nothing to hide.

And people wonder why joe blogs goes to the petshop to buy a pup, breeders who treat buyers like this are what causes the problem.

There has to be a middle ground.

and what about the buyer who seems to have had 3 pups offered to them but keeps declining them? Honestly I am glad I breed a rare breed so I don't have to cope with some buyers bullsh!t very often.

TSD ooohhhhh :) How excitement .

Very! :D

Well, all I can say is that I must be a lousy dog breeder!

Only been breeding for 38 years, sold pups interstate and overseas and never asked for photos of yard or people (in fact I would probably be suspicious if people sent them).

I try to get to know all my puppy buyers either personally or by correspondence but I find that choosing pups at 8 weeks old is largely a shot in the dark and, for myself, I just keep the one that appeals to me. For others, I let them choose for themselves - with my input - then i can't be held responsible if they choose the wrong one!

Have I made mistakes? ofcourse I have, but I am just a poor dog breeder trying to give people the puppy they are looking for and, on the whole, I think I have been successful.

• Like 1

Guest donatella

Well, all I can say is that I must be a lousy dog breeder!

Only been breeding for 38 years, sold pups interstate and overseas and never asked for photos of yard or people (in fact I would probably be suspicious if people sent them).

I try to get to know all my puppy buyers either personally or by correspondence but I find that choosing pups at 8 weeks old is largely a shot in the dark and, for myself, I just keep the one that appeals to me. For others, I let them choose for themselves - with my input - then i can't be held responsible if they choose the wrong one!

Have I made mistakes? ofcourse I have, but I am just a poor dog breeder trying to give people the puppy they are looking for and, on the whole, I think I have been successful.

You can't get hold of a rescue dog without house check first, why is it so taboo for a breeder to want to see their babies going to a safe dog friendly home?