Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

I want to thank those that have shown me support and understanding, thank you….your kind words have meant so much, I cannot tell you. :grouphug: I came here with the best of intentions, didn't have any idea I would be crucified. I've said my piece and have nothing further to add, no matter what I say, I will be lynched regardless. Through all of this, I haven't lost faith in all breeders, there's always the exception to every rule, it's unfortunate that some spoil it for the others.

Well, you know it would be nice if you actually responded to those posts. You certainly ignored mine, which was from the perspective of someone who did get through an interrogation and ended up with two amazing dogs. How about responding to those sorts of posts of which there have been several instead of just complaining that people are picking on you? Did you think that people would just agree with you and sympathise? Here's a tip: this is DOL and that never happens.

It's up to you if you respond to a breeder's request. I pointed out that if you did it could be brilliant. I'm sorry if that doesn't agree with your set view but you know? It could. It's down to you.

I would love to be able to respond to each and everyone of those posters but that's an impossibility for me, as much as I'd like, I just

don't have all day at my disposal hence why I thanked them as I did. x0x

I don't post often these days but the OP reminded me of the time I was looking for a wheaten puppy. My dad and I went to the Melbourne Royal to look at the kerry blues. I'd said I didn't want another kerry if I saw the boy we'd lost earlier that year. We spoke to someone at ringside (none of this 'Come back to talk to me when I've finished showing'). After a chat, we were invited back the next day to meet some wheatens. My then 72-year-old dad saw a wheaten and said, 'I want one.' I spent two hours meeting people and their wheatens. First step. I got referred to a breeder interstate expecting a litter. Called left a message. Spent over three hours on the phone, indeed, being interrogated by the breeder. First question, 'Had I had any Irish dogs before?' On being told we'd had several irish terriers and a kerry blue the breeder judiciously said we 'might' be able to handle a wheaten. Second step. Next we had to go to Melbourne to spend a day with another breeder so we could be observed on our interaction with his dogs. We would be on the bottom of the waiting list if we were approved to go on the list at all. We spent the day 'interacting' and were approved.

The point of that story, OP, is what the interrogation does, all the hoops you go through, whether it's a photo or, as we did, be observed interacting with the dogs, is let the breeder know if they can trust you. We got a puppy from that litter. We went from the bottom of the list to the top of the list because we showed through our discussions and meetings that we could be trusted with one of the breeder's puppies. The breeder trusted us enough that when the breeder needed to rehome his precious elderly boy, he called me. DOLers know that dog well: he was my Grumpy.

You may not like the hoops. If you don't there are other options for you to obtain a dog. If you want to be trusted with a precious little life, jump through the hoops. Believe me, when you have one of those puppies in your house, you'll be willing to jump through those hoops all over again. It's a marvellous thing.

Best of luck.

If jumping hoops consists of having to travel interstate…well, I simply cannot; I have responsibilities and cannot just drop everything and leave. I appreciate that for some it isn't a problem and Kudos to them. I don't know how much more open I can be….I offered to friend her via FB so she could get a pretty clear idea on what I'm all about besides which I talked about myself anyway, out of my own volition. By the end of the phone call she knew almost everything about me from what I did for a living to how I spend my time nowadays. Yes, I was surprised when I received the email, it did feel like I was being interrogated for the simple reason that I had ALREADY talked at length about myself…..

Perfume, I feel a bit like you've talked around in a circle now as you've said that the breeder you started the thread about is happy for you to take a puppy following further discussion but you have a new concern so aren't sure whether to go ahead.

That's between you and that particular breeder but why continue to labour the point about initially feeling interrogated?

Perfume, I feel a bit like you've talked around in a circle now as you've said that the breeder you started the thread about is happy for you to take a puppy following further discussion but you have a new concern so aren't sure whether to go ahead.

That's between you and that particular breeder but why continue to labour the point about initially feeling interrogated?

Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Can't win.

I just wish that this saga would end. We've all had our say, enough already.

Breeder rang me, we discussed a few issues, my concern was addressed and all is good. :thumbsup:

Edited by Perfume

Great, best of luck moving forward. I don't really think you are damned if you do, damned if you don't, it takes a while for some to get the gist of this forum, it ain't a love fest, but if you wish to stick around you will still get plenty of useful discussion.

We all still love to hear about the journey from brand new puppy to much treasured member of the family so you are welcome to share if you wish.

If you would like the thread closed send a message to user Troy (the owner/admin of DOL) and ask him to lock the thread.

Edited by Simply Grand