Interrogation By Breeder

Perfume

I think its fairly apparent there isnt one right way for either breeders or buyers to approach this. Its about going with what you are comfortable with and finding a match in the other party. People have different expectations, different priorities, different communication styles, different ideas about what makes a good home for a dog. You have to think about what things are important to you and then search for that match. The more requirements a buyer has in the dog they want or the more requirements a breeder has in the homes their dogs go to the longer it is likely to take to find that match. And thats fine, but both parties have to accept that. Theres no point getting frustrated if you have more specific requirements than some others may have and it takes you longer to find them as well as that relationship/philosophy match.

I was lucky with the first dog I got. I didnt know what I was doing, just that I wanted a certain breed (a cross) in a certain colour. The breeder I found welcomed me into her home, I met the parents and the litter, saw that the dogs lived in the house as part of the family, the pups were being raised in the living room, saw the dogs and pups interact with adults and children in the home and was given information and invited to call anytime if I needed advice. I didnt know going into it that those things were important to me. Had I turned up and found a different set up or been told I couldnt see where the pups were raised at all would I have still gone ahead? I suspect not, but I dont know. I didnt know what the options were at the time.

This was a BYB breeding un-health tested crosses.

By the second and third dog seeing for myself how the breeders dogs lived and the pups were raised was still very, very important to me but registered pedigree purebred and health testing were added to the mix. For the second I didnt have any requirements for gender or colour, so it was just a matter of finding that breeder/buyer match.

For the third I did have a requirement for gender and strong preference for colour but the other things remained just as important so I was prepared to search and wait as long as it took to find the whole package (ironically I found it straight away and ended up with the pup 3 weeks later :p )

For the next one, as my knowledge has grown my requirements have changed again. I will now have very specific requirements for the dog as far as temperament and with that the breeders approach to breeding for temperament and ability to pick it in pups, and very possibly gender. All the other things re the breeder, how their dogs and pups are raised etc are still very important also but Im not set on actually seeing that stuff for myself as I now have access to people whose advice I would trust on those things.

So I think its pointless to debate should breeders do this, should buyers do this in black and white terms because it depends so much on the individuals involved.

Edited by Simply Grand

Not at all - do what you like. All I am saying is that over the years I have been as successful as you in getting suitable homes for my dogs

How can you know whether or not you've been a successful as someone else when you don't eve know the person or their level of success or failure? Or was yours meant to be a throwaway comment rather than a statement of fact?

Perfume can I just talk to you about the pup being a carrier. This means nothing unless you're planning on breeding the pup -- being a carrier doesn't mean the pup has the disease therefore the pup is fine.

It's only if this carrier pup was mated to another carrier there'd be issues.

Actually, one thing I personally think all of us advocates of responsibly bred, pure bred dogs (including but not limited to breeders) SHOULD do is make some effort to make information about the option of having pure bred dogs and how to go about getting them as accessible as possible to the general public.

I don't mean we owe it to inexperienced pet buyers to convince them to buy a pure bred or that breeders shouldn't be selective about who their pups go to but I think we have a moral obligation to the "cause" if you will of purebred dogs to make an effort to provide people with information.

If we are going to say the pedigree, responsibly, pure bred dogs we so advocate are the best option, make negative judgements about people who obtain pets through other means and in any way expect to make OUR dogs the norm for people wanting a non-rescue pet, rather than bybs or farmers, then we can't say it's not my responsibility to make information available and accurate on websites or direct prospective buyers to certain channels or answer their annoying questions, or explain why additional information might be asked for or suggest a different option if they haven't found the right match yet.

Edited by Simply Grand

I've had personal recommendations for two breeds and have had another for a third breed I'm interested in (and visited when I happened to be in NZ). I find that's one of the best ways to find a good breeder. I couldn't ask for more open and honest people nor more support.

This is the part I don't get. That someone is happy to take a pup of one of any three breeds. :confused:

I fall in love with a breed and no other breed could possibly be substituted for the breed I want. I loved Rottweilers and owned and rescued them. When I felt I was too old to be running around the obedience oval with large dogs (I am small of slight build) I then went with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. A breed I had fallen in love with many years ago. I have two elderly dogs of this beautiful breed.

I've had personal recommendations for two breeds and have had another for a third breed I'm interested in (and visited when I happened to be in NZ). I find that's one of the best ways to find a good breeder. I couldn't ask for more open and honest people nor more support.

This is the part I don't get. That someone is happy to take a pup of one of any three breeds. :confused:

I fall in love with a breed and no other breed could possibly be substituted for the breed I want. I loved Rottweilers and owned and rescued them. When I felt I was too old to be running around the obedience oval with large dogs (I am small of slight build) I then went with Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. A breed I had fallen in love with many years ago. I have two elderly dogs of this beautiful breed.

But just because that's how you feel it doesn't mean that someone who likes several breeds and could take on any of them won't be just as good an owner.

ETA if I wasn't limited in numbers there are heaps of breeds I'd like to have!

Edited by Simply Grand

I love a few breeders - and they are very different. I love training and love training different types of dogs. I find you learn more and become a better trainer. I guess some breeders might be put off they I don't love one and only one breed, but that is their loss IMO :-).

They might be even more turned off to find out that I'm not a dog lover. I adore my dogs and love a select few (all highly trained, well behaved ), but I'm not fussed about the rest.

But just because that's how you feel it doesn't mean that someone who likes several breeds and could take on any of them won't be just as good an owner.

That's exactly my point. A breed I would 'like' to own as opposed to a breed I definitely love and want in my life.

I like a number of breeds but I don't love them.

I guess each to their own :shrug: Training is a big part of the relationship I have with my dogs and I really enjoying working with "unconventional breeds" and getting the most out of them. I also worry about comparing my dogs - my first was an ACD and she was just incredible. I will never have another for that reason.

I never went looking for a Dalmatian and was considering several other breeds for agility/obedience but was recommended by someone I worked with to talk with the (interstate) breeder of her dogs. I had an instant rapport with the breeder so went away and researched the breed further. To be honest it was the breeder that I went with in the first instance and my faith in them has been repaid a thousand fold. With my ESS it was again a matter of circumstance. I handled a dog in a few retrieving trials for a DOLer (who was previously unknown to me) - I was completely hooked on the sport but didn't want a Lab. I'd always loved English Springer Spaniels and mentioned this...the DOLer then gave me a contact and I learnt about the differences between show vs working. It was a big thing to get a second dog and the decision to go with an ESS rather than a Dally was again driven by finding the right breeder (Zig's breeder had retired) as well as the desire to get into retrieving. My next pup will be another ESS bitch but I love having a larger male in the house for balance - maybe one day I will get a Working Irish Setter which is the breed I originally had my heart set on but couldn't find a breeder. That is a long way away but I visited the breeder because I just happened to be in NZ for a conference. I've seen her dogs and I've seen them work. On the other hand I've cared for a GSP pup for a month and realised they are not really for me.

Would I have another Dally? Tough one. He'd have bloody big paw prints to fill.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

That's exactly my point. A breed I would 'like' to own as opposed to a breed I definitely love and want in my life.

I like a number of breeds but I don't love them.

I feel like someone can love and definitely want in their life more than one breed at a time though. If for some reason I lost all three of my current dogs and was looking for a new singular dog I would have a tough time deciding between a Rotty and an Aussie Shepherd. Love both, definitely want both and if I could only have one the decision may come down to finding a breeder and timing match.

Totally understand that you feel differently and that's fine, but again I don't think that indicates that either of us wouldn't make a good owner.

Edited by Simply Grand

I love Rottweilers over pretty much any other breed - but currently have 4 crossbreed dogs... 2 were additions when I still had a couple of Rotties, and 2 are foster failures from my years in Rescue (all breeds).

I WILL have a gorgeous Rotti again - from a breeder I've met here on DOL (and intend to meet in person before she breeds another litter)... life is great with any dog in your life, but for me a Rotti will make it "complete" again.

I would like a male with an easy temperament - but not too easy. Confident, yet approachable by strangers. Stunning looks would be a bonus, but not an absolute requirement... *grin*... I'm not looking to show or breed with him. Health testing for known preventable genetic problems mean just as much to a "pet" owner too...

Then again, if a female happened to be available that had the temperament I wanted instead of a male, I could be open to another bitch in my life too... but first preference is definitely male.

Size or proportion is not paramount, but conformation to the standard is a good thing... I don't need the biggest Rotti on the planet, or the fattest head, or the scariest look... I just want a companion who I can love back as much as he loves me.

I expect when the time comes for me to add that Rotti pup to my family, that there will still be a hell of a lot of questions from my chosen breeder before she hands over the goods... lol!

T.

I think I'm more of an individual dog lover. The list of breeds I don't want is probably shepherd, border collie, kelpie, Doberman and anything else that makes me feel stupid. Hank was probably a shepherd x wolfie, I'd not want a purebred of either of those but I'd jump at another Hank. After that I think I would get another bulldog, but then because I'm not breed specific I will probably go get whatever needs a home at the pound.

Some people like a particular breed but I have no understanding of that. I just see dog and I try think sensibly about what fits me.....right up until a pair of big brown eyes convinces me I'm his last chance.

PS : is there a non stunning Rotti?

Edited by hankdog

I don't feel like I could ever have a long enough life for all the dogs I want to own in it!

My list is very long, does that make me less dedicated to the dogs I do and might own?

I love the dogs I have now, I cherish every second of their lives and make every moment as good as I can for them, doesn't mean I can't love other breeds and want to own them in the future, come on guys.

• Like 1

I love Rottweilers over pretty much any other breed - but currently have 4 crossbreed dogs... 2 were additions when I still had a couple of Rotties, and 2 are foster failures from my years in Rescue (all breeds).

I WILL have a gorgeous Rotti again - from a breeder I've met here on DOL (and intend to meet in person before she breeds another litter)... life is great with any dog in your life, but for me a Rotti will make it "complete" again.

I would like a male with an easy temperament - but not too easy. Confident, yet approachable by strangers. Stunning looks would be a bonus, but not an absolute requirement... *grin*... I'm not looking to show or breed with him. Health testing for known preventable genetic problems mean just as much to a "pet" owner too...

Then again, if a female happened to be available that had the temperament I wanted instead of a male, I could be open to another bitch in my life too... but first preference is definitely male.

Size or proportion is not paramount, but conformation to the standard is a good thing... I don't need the biggest Rotti on the planet, or the fattest head, or the scariest look... I just want a companion who I can love back as much as he loves me.

I expect when the time comes for me to add that Rotti pup to my family, that there will still be a hell of a lot of questions from my chosen breeder before she hands over the goods... lol!

T.

You will have that wonderful Rottie T and good luck to you.

My Rottie owning and rescuing days are over. Too old now and a couple of serious, incurable health problems put an end to my days of Rottie ownership. I do so love my Cavaliers though but they're getting on now and will be my last dogs :cry::cry:

There are a couple of breeds i want to own and the timing of wanting a puppy vs the breeders i like having an upcoming litter would affect what breed i would get at that time. I completely understand someone having a few breeds they'd love and choosing based on finding the right breeder of any of them.

• Like 1

Once you've shared your life with a Rotti (or 5)... you'll understand why I'm besotted... *grin*

T.

Haha, I absolutely believe you! They don't feature on the list, but its early days. When you get one you're welcome to enable! Ahaha.

I want to thank those that have shown me support and understanding, thank you….your kind words have meant so much, I cannot tell you. :grouphug: I came here with the best of intentions, didn't have any idea I would be crucified. I've said my piece and have nothing further to add, no matter what I say, I will be lynched regardless. Through all of this, I haven't lost faith in all breeders, there's always the exception to every rule, it's unfortunate that some spoil it for the others.

Well, you know it would be nice if you actually responded to those posts. You certainly ignored mine, which was from the perspective of someone who did get through an interrogation and ended up with two amazing dogs. How about responding to those sorts of posts of which there have been several instead of just complaining that people are picking on you? Did you think that people would just agree with you and sympathise? Here's a tip: this is DOL and that never happens.

It's up to you if you respond to a breeder's request. I pointed out that if you did it could be brilliant. I'm sorry if that doesn't agree with your set view but you know? It could. It's down to you.