Becoming A Vet Nurse

ash1

So, I've decided I'd like to become a vet nurse. Took a look online at the vet nurse courses and find that you have to already be in paid employment as a vet nurse for xx number of hours a week to sit your Cert IV. But take a look at the jobs vacant for vet nurses and they all require you to ALREADY have your Cert IV..... ROCK/ME/HARDPLACE :confused:

Anyone done this as a mature student, and how? Did you just apply for vet nursing positions and let them know that you were intending to study, did you volunteer, did you go and grovel to your own vet (I spend enough there with all our critters - he OWES me a job! :laugh: )

Would love some advice about how to go about this.

Complete change of career for me, my previous working life was in an office, for the last 10 years I've run my own small business from home, so this is a total career change for me (although I've always been an animal nut!)

Thanks in advance for any advice, personal experiences, etc.

Be careful with some of the online courses. I looked at the Open Colleges one.

I rang my local vet hospitals and asked them what they thought about the course and whether there was a preferred course. All had hesitations about the open colleges one. They all said, the students come out generally knowing the theory but the surgery then needs to spend much more time on the practical skills. These are time consuming and also put the surgery at risk for errors by the graduate.

Also I have found with the online one, you are locked into the whole $5000 course fee. If for instance you had to stop or could not continue, you still had to pay for the whole course without refund. Whereas if you say went to TAFE and paid per semester, if you pulled out, you only lose what you have already paid. You don't have to keep paying for a course you're not studying.

If you're looking at studying the Cert IV through a TAFE rather than online, you don't have to be in paid employment -- a volunteer/work placement position is all that's required. I've got a friend who's just finished her Cert IV in vet nursing and she started off with work placement through her TAFE.

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. Yes, I'm aware that the pay is not great, but hopefully the job satisfaction may make up for that. Also it would be a great course for my own personal interest, we have a hobby farm with all range of animals, so working at a vet would be invaluable.

I would love to be a vet rather than a vet nurse, but too much $$, and too late at this time of my life to go to Uni for six years to start a new career.

I will phone TAFE and make some enquiries - did look at Open Uni online, but all seemed a bit dodgy, and very hard sell.

I would love to be a vet rather than a vet nurse, but too much $$, and too late at this time of my life to go to Uni for six years to start a new career.

It's never too late in my opinion. As long as you can take the time and have the funds I'd go for it if it's what you want to do.

Personally I'd go down the TAFE route, it has to be a better and more practical way of learning.

Thanks again, everyone.

Unfortunately we just don't have the funds for me to invest in a six-year uni course, much as I'd love to (on my list for future lotto winning spending!!)

The Animal Tech course looks great, will look into that further and it may just be the answer, thanks for the suggestion!