What Will Your Next Breed Be?

huski

I'm not sure yet.

Working line Kelpie is the obvious choice, and may well be :laugh: but there are a few others I am eyeing off as well. Depends on what I find out and what is out there.

Other candidates are:

Koolie

Working line Groenendael

Working line Malinois

Working line BC (has to be the RIGHT one though lol)

Working Cocker Spaniel (this maybe later, for a smaller breed that the kids could help out with more)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost certainly Dog Number Two will be another Saluki- they're a good fit for both me and Bella (she prefers to sighthounds as friends). Otherwise, I'd love to have a golden retriever, I love pretty much everything about them, even though they are so different from a Salukis. In an ideal world I'd have both, but I think it will be many years before I am in a position for more than two dogs.

I am a diehard Labrador lover of many many years and could never imagine owning any other breed, they are my breed of choice for life. When I get old(er) and dotty, I will adopt senior Labs only :) . I do like and admire some other large breeds, but Labs are the only breed that I will own as I simply adore them :thumbsup:

Greyhound is next on my list :)

Ahhh see you've already been bitten by the greyhound bug and it's an itch that has been unscratched for too long ;)

Definitely! Going to lure coursing hasn't helped :laugh: At the last meet I was happily fondling a greys ears for a while :heart:

Most likely another Aussie, I would LOVE a red tri next love.gif

Possibly my dream breed of a Dalmatian though I kinda want to put that off until LUAs are in Australia and breeding well.

I would also like to one day have a working line GSD or possibly a Belgian Terv.

Possibly my dream breed of a Dalmatian though I kinda want to put that off until LUAs are in Australia and breeding well.

I would also like to one day have a working line GSD or possibly a Belgian Terv.

LisaCC, how would you describe your Aussie Shepherd? I wonder how they compare to a Border collie.

LisaCC, how would you describe your Aussie Shepherd? I wonder how they compare to a Border collie.

Border Collies temperament doesn't appeal to me at all, but I love my Aussie.

My boy is high drive and can be a nutter, wants to work, needs plenty of exercise and mental stimulation, but has a good off switch. They are individuals but I would definitely not recommend my boy for an inexperience owner or someone who doesn't want to work him regularly in some way or another. He can be very manipulative and gets bored quickly.

They have different working styles than borders and are more clownish.

I know some people that have both borders and Aussies and they seem to prefer one or the other as apparently you need to train them a bit differently. I've been told borders will work for you, aussies will work for something.

Edited by LisaCC

It's at least 3 years off but my main candidates atm are:

-cocker spaniel

-fieldie

-pointer

-boxer

-std poodle

Will start going to shows and talking to people next year to hopefully narrow it down a bit more but all of those breeds totally make my heart flutter and would all suit me and what I want. Didi is a laid back girl when it comes to other breeds which makes it harder to choose. Gets totally into smackdowns with boxers but equally good being gentle and restrained with a cocker pup!

My 'one day' wishlist is a bit crazier with diversity though...