• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cry: :cry: 6 pages and no one wants a Husky. :cry:

Don't worry I won't tell Ronin :rasberry:

I love looking at them!

Does that count? :laugh:

I've never actually met any well trained ones, so my knowledge of them is very limited to bad things.

Though i am sure if raised correctly they would be fabulous- Ronin looks to be!

But that hair!! I'd have to get a robot vacuum haha

:cry: :cry: 6 pages and no one wants a Husky. :cry:

Don't worry I won't tell Ronin :rasberry:

No one is game to because they run the risk of getting Moon Moon.. :rasberry:

As for my next dog I hope it will be black and tan.

--Lhok

I love Moon Moon!

I have the greyhound Moon Moon :laugh:

:cry: :cry: 6 pages and no one wants a Husky. :cry: Don't worry I won't tell Ronin :rasberry:
I love looking at them! Does that count? :laugh: I've never actually met any well trained ones, so my knowledge of them is very limited to bad things. Though i am sure if raised correctly they would be fabulous- Ronin looks to be! But that hair!! I'd have to get a robot vacuum haha

:thumbsup: Yep that counts LOL. They do require more training than many breeds but not to the degree that is often perceived. The hair is not too bad, good diet and a weekly brush is about all that is needed - in coat blow time it is a bit more work, but I don't think much different from any double coated dog.

The fact that they don't smell and dirt and mud drops off them makes up for shedding - that and they maybe only need a bath once or twice a year if that :) :thumbsup:

:cry: :cry: 6 pages and no one wants a Husky. :cry: Don't worry I won't tell Ronin :rasberry:
No one is game to because they run the risk of getting Moon Moon.. :rasberry:As for my next dog I hope it will be black and tan.--Lhok
I love Moon Moon!I have the greyhound Moon Moon :laugh:

I don't know about Moon Moon - must be before I joined here... but keen to hear more :thumbsup:

I don't know about Moon Moon - must be before I joined here... but keen to hear more :thumbsup:

Google is your friend. Moon Moon isn't a DoL creation, he is an internet meme character.

Edited by Diva

Google is your friend. Moon Moon isn't a DoL creation, he is an internet meme character.

Yep I think it started from the response to a meme asking what your wolf name would be, I can't post that one here because of the swearing but it was hilarious.

I love the memes. Moon Moon is about the only husky I'd own. I like a dog not smarter than me. Haha, and like others have had some crummy experiences and no positives.

Moon Moon memes are my kinda dog though!

I had a vet that said the exact same thing to me - that she would never own a Dalmatian as didn't want a dog that was smarter than her :laugh:

Ahhh, I just had a look at Moon Moon :laugh:

I can understand peoples feeling about the breed, they take a lot of work and are super smart. I obviously love the breed but would be unlikely to recommend them to many people. I get people asking me "how much do they cost" all of the time :( I always explain that they need heaps of work, training and patience. I will try and dissuade most people from getting one as I hate to see how many end up in shelters because people are not prepared.

It does sadden me that so many people have had bad experiences with huskies, most people that meet Ronin fall in love with him. I will admit there were times when I thought, 'what the hell have I got myself into'...despite an enormous amount of prior research. But more work and my absolute responsibility for this life made me double my efforts.

Anyway sorry for going a bit off topic :)

I can understand peoples feeling about the breed, they take a lot of work and are super smart. I obviously love the breed but would be unlikely to recommend them to many people. I get people asking me "how much do they cost" all of the time :( I always explain that they need heaps of work, training and patience. I will try and dissuade most people from getting one as I hate to see how many end up in shelters because people are not prepared.

It does sadden me that so many people have had bad experiences with huskies, most people that meet Ronin fall in love with him. I will admit there were times when I thought, 'what the hell have I got myself into'...despite an enormous amount of prior research. But more work and my absolute responsibility for this life made me double my efforts.

I think Huskies are probably the most stunning looking breed :) But I enjoy competing in sports, and Huskies are not the ideal choice for agility, and after Diesel I am not keen on that much hair :laugh:

I love sibes. Micha our family dog is 12 years old now and I will always have a big soft spot for the breed. They don't suit what I need or want in a dog now though, so I don't think I would own one again. But I still think they are awesome :)

I find beagle hair worse than Sibe hair. It is one thing that could put me off having one again!

That ain't nothin' compared with a Dally :laugh: And yes I have lived with a Beagle!!!

I reckon my Labrador could give them a good run for their money. :laugh:

You're right about that. It's sad that Sibe's are so popular IMO, too many people wanting their own 'wolf dog' and no where near willing to put the work into them that the breed requires. They are amazing dogs (I find very little as striking as a well bred Sibe in the ring) and if I wasn't so crazy in love with the Karelian Bear Dog I would think about having one. We were very seriously looking at the breed before we got the Samoyeds.

Edited by Bjelkier

You're right about that. It's sad that Sibe's are so popular IMO, too many people wanting their own 'wolf dog' and no where near willing to put the work into them that the breed requires. They are amazing dogs (I find very little as striking as a well bred Sibe in the ring) and if I wasn't so crazy in love with the Karelian Bear Dog I would think about having one. We were very seriously looking at the breed before we got the Samoyeds.

I agree 100%, you need to invest in a lot of training preferably with assistance from a professional. Without this it is a recipe for disaster. Sadly few people do this and the misconception spreads that they can't be trained and can't be loose lead walked. So these wonderful, intelligent and energetic dogs are denied the enrichment they deserve and they then destroy the house of the owner and become very difficult to live with.

I also love Samoyeds and the Karelian Bear Dogs seem great from the small amount of reading I have done on them. Oh, to have the time, money(for care and training) and space for a pack of these spitz breeds :)

I know one chap in Eastern Europe who has a Husky SARs dog and they have been widely used for these jobs in the past. Less now that more of the professionals are going for Malinois based on their reasoning that you can teach three Malinois the job in the time it takes to teach one Sibe :)

There will always be room on the couch for another sheltie but other than that my next breed will be either a blue merle Aussie or a Goldie. I have owned 2 aussies previously but lost both tragically young at 3 and 6yrs so am not sure if I am brave enough to try again.