Ldh At It Again

On the Lost Dog's Homes Facebook page:

post-28784-0-54456500-1417866892_thumb.jpg

"through an unfortunate series of events with your organisation and due to a lack of system control, your inability to read human behaviour or red flag certain cases, which in turn, led to a healthy 5 yr old dog being put to death within hours of being within your care, i can no longer find the trust or professionalism within The Lost Dogs Home to further bring my animals for treatment and will be cancelling my monthly donations / support that i give to you..."

"You guys first and for most have a duty of care towards our fury friends. Our poor little, fury friend lost his life at 5 years old due to a complete lack of care by your centre. <br data-reactid=".1rx.1:3:1:$comment10152395249371021_10152395266306021:0.0.$right.0.$left.0.0.1:$comment-body.0.$end:0:$3:0">There is no words that can describe the pain our family is going through, and the devastating loss we have to now endure. This was a lack of judgement on the staff's behalf. I thought you were helping change the world, all you've done is brought ours crumbling down around us."

"My father has Dementia, and in one of his 'episodes" as we call them, he took his dog down to the centre to relinquish his rights to Scruffy without telling any other family member before the situation had occurred.... My father was witnessed sitting out the front of the centre, for a period of 15 minutes before entering in a highly agitated state, abusing staff in an angry / upset manner, behaviour that didn't go unnoticed by most staff on shift in the clinic... Scruffy was then assessed by a vet, deemed unfit to be re-homed due to a mild and treatable skin condition , then euthanized within 3-4 hours of being in their care... Then only to add insult to injury when my sister and i had called the The Lost Dogs home on several occasions asking about Scruffy and he was nowhere to be found on the system and to be told the paperwork of authority was not signed for release of any such dog of this description in there care or had been for the past several days.... Upon pushing for information my sister was able to obtain the right facts about Scruffy and his unfortunate journey and eventual death... They never gave this dog a second chance at life nor my father a cooling off period of 24-48 hours even after witnessing the mental state to which he presented himself, my sister and i did every thing in our power to rescue him but in the end we had everything against us from the start..."

The response from the LDH

"This is a very sad situation for all involved. The dog was surrendered to the Home by it's owner and if you wish to discuss further it would be best to contact the shelter directly on 03 9329 2755."

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh. They never change.

WHY WHY WHY ????

There is enough information on the internet for people to know how terrible they are. Why are they still supported and in business?

The questions are rhetoric because I know the answers. Someone is paying someone.

:cry: :cry: :cry: My heart just breaks for all the lost little souls who have been killed by those horrible horrible people.

It never seems to surprise anyone really what they do there, Canberra Pooch Rescue (CPR) was started some 8 years ago so we could help at least some of the dogs at the LDH, we got their rejects the ones with skin allergies, dogs with iffy temps, one girl a Bichon cross had only one eye and still had the stitch in she was approx. 12 months old they would have killed her because she wasn't "perfect", we rescued 50 dogs from them in a 12 month period they then closed their doors to rescue and the reason Graeme Smith gave was "because we can"

I tell a lot of people who adopt dogs from us when they say they donate to the LDH I tell them exactly what they are like and they cancel future donations.

They are an animals worst nightmare :cry: :cry: .

Maree

CPR

That is heartbreaking. That poor family, the poor man.

I'm disgusted no one took more than 5 minutes to think it over, no next of kin was contacted, by the sounds of it they needed to contact someone if he was in there abusing people and flipping out. That really didn't raise any concern for what might be actually going on?

So horrified.

It would be interesting to know if the gentleman had the capacity to lawfully sign the surrender documents in the first place. It would be a legal avenue the family could follow should they wish to do so.

I'm not defending the dog being pts but working in a shelter myself, we get so many surrenders every day, you'd have to be a mind reader to figure out if every person surrendering is legit, including being aggressive as many of them are unfortunately, so I disagree with placing any blame on staff members who served him.

Such a sad story :(

Edited by Dame Aussie

DITTO !!!

Sigh. They never change.

WHY WHY WHY ????

There is enough information on the internet for people to know how terrible they are. Why are they still supported and in business?

The questions are rhetoric because I know the answers. Someone is paying someone.

:cry: :cry: :cry: My heart just breaks for all the lost little souls who have been killed by those horrible horrible people.

Its not the staff, but the system.

I do feel like there's a duty of care to ensure those legal documents being the surrender documents are being filled out legally.

If someone comes in and is ranting and raving and carrying on like a pork chop perhaps consideration needs to be paid to whether that person has the capacity to be filling in the forms.

I absolutely sympathise with the staff, they're just cogs in a machine essentially and they must see some horrifying things but its just so sad.

My grandma has cancer and if this was her and her cat I would be destroyed. That's the families last link to someone who isn't quite with them anymore and I bet that dog bought him a lot of joy too.

I do feel like there's a duty of care to ensure those legal documents being the surrender documents are being filled out legally.

If someone comes in and is ranting and raving and carrying on like a pork chop perhaps consideration needs to be paid to whether that person has the capacity to be filling in the forms.

I absolutely sympathise with the staff, they're just cogs in a machine essentially and they must see some horrifying things but its just so sad.

My grandma has cancer and if this was her and her cat I would be destroyed. That's the families last link to someone who isn't quite with them anymore and I bet that dog bought him a lot of joy too.

The problem is what do they do? If he is the legal owner and they have no other contacts how do they determine who is fit and who isn't? Many people are aggressive without having health issues, I've seen it so many times.

We often put holds on animals that are surrendered if we think the owner may come back which is a good way to prevent these situations.

The problem is what do they do? If he is the legal owner and they have no other contacts how do they determine who is fit and who isn't? Many people are aggressive without having health issues, I've seen it so many times.

We often put holds on animals that are surrendered if we think the owner may come back which is a good way to prevent these situations.

That's exactly what I was thinking. A 24-48 hour holding time. It does seem a very quick turn around.

I feel for you guys, I truly do.

That's exactly what I was thinking. A 24-48 hour holding time. It does seem a very quick turn around.

I feel for you guys, I truly do.

Yeah, it depends on the different pounds too and whether they have the 24hr turn around policy which I've always thought wad too short but what are you gonna do :/

Again though I wont ever defend pts over a skin condition :(

If they had rang me I would have taken him from them, just a phone call, that is all it needed from LDH. I have also written on their facebook page asking why they didn't contact me or any other rescue group, but of course no reply.

That is the whole point, JRT Rescue. They KNOW UNEQUIVOCALLY that there are plenty of rescue groups who would willingly take dogs and cats, but for decades, they just won't do it.

That is why I say that they are verging (if not there) psychopathic.

we rescued 50 dogs from them in a 12 month period they then closed their doors to rescue and the reason Graeme Smith gave was "because we can".

That man belongs in a mental asylum. He delights in death.

I can't accept that. For sure, systems exist, but staff should be standing up for the rights of animals in their care.

Now I'm going to have to live long enough to outlive my dog. This terrifies me.

Just make sure your will is up to date and you have SPECIFIC instructions in it for your dog.

The key problem here isn't that they didn't identify that the owner wasn't all there (although that is a problem). The issue here is that they killed a highly adoptable/rescue-able dog within 24 hours of intake with absolutely zero attempt to sell or transfer to rescue.

If they had rang me I would have taken him from them, just a phone call, that is all it needed from LDH. I have also written on their facebook page asking why they didn't contact me or any other rescue group, but of course no reply.

:thumbsup:

The key problem here isn't that they didn't identify that the owner wasn't all there (although that is a problem). The issue here is that they killed a highly adoptable/rescue-able dog within 24 hours of intake with absolutely zero attempt to sell or transfer to rescue.

But that is what they have been doing since Day 1.

You'd have to be enamoured of death and killing to work there.