Ldh At It Again

This is exactly what worries me about the new VIC govt plan to ban retail sales of animals that haven't come from a registered breeder or a shelter/pound. There's zero mention (that I can find) of any planned changes to the way this mega-pound works.

Who is going to make sure pounds have to co-operate? How are pets supposed to get a second chance when the entrenched attitude is that euthanising them is so much easier and cheaper?

Last I looked they had just 21 dogs up for adoption. There are NSW pounds and small private rescue groups with more than that: running on less money, no million+++ dollar shelter... and still managing to assess and vetwork their dogs properly.

Edited by Powerlegs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate that staff can't always identify genuine and non-genuine surrenders but it seems they failed to follow their own processes - Scruffy's info wasn't in their system (or staff were lying to the family who called about him) and he didn't fulfil his waiting period, which I assume is there to assist people who may have erroneously surrendered their pets or who surrendered under duress or during an emergency and that has changed. How hard is it to follow the processes in place even if you can't mind read the clients?

I really hope this family pursues LDH legally and makes them pay in some way for their failures to protect this poor dog. Nothing will change while they continue to get away with preventable crap like this.

Here's a scary one from over the weekend. A dog was picked up in Lara, near Geelong, in the GAWS catchment area. For some reason, the finder took the dog to a vet who then transferred the dog to LDH. No idea who or where the vet is but the dog is now at LDH where the owners would not think to look. Plus, the dog is a large brindle bull type crossbreed. What are its chances?

The time frame is the difference between who cares and who don't, I have found most pound try as much as they can to save them, with the others they don't. At the moment I am getting so many people wanting Jacks from Victoria and asking why there isn't any down there, and I tell them because they kill them because they can, which is terrible.

The same thing happens at the RSPCA at Yagoona (Sydney) - surrenders can be being euthed even as the owner is leaving the building...

T.

Yes, this is usually the case with an owner surrender.

An owner surrender is not dealt with the same way as a lost dog.

Memory just popped into my head. Does anyone remember (is it still going??) Dogs Life! Magazine.

I was addicted when it first came out, but after a couple of years it was just a repeat with different packaging and twice as expensive.

However, I have never forgotten one heart wrenching letter. A woman wrote about how in a moment of having difficulty coping with everything that was happening in her life, she surrendered her dog, a staffy if I recall properly, to the pound. Shortly afterwards, she really regretted what she'd done, went back to the pound, but the dogs had been already euthanised. She admitted that she had to live with that for the rest of her life.

That said, I do know that a lot of people will walk away without a backward glance or a nano second of regret.