Is Neutering At 8 Value For Money

LeoBullTerrier

To be honest I am having trouble working out what the problem is. Can you describe 'going crazy' a bit more?

Is he upsetting the bigger dogs? Are the owners getting shitty?

Yes to both and what I'd love is for people to be able to walk up to hime without him going crazy and jumping all over them.

He sounds gorgeous :love: & not a problem dog at all however I would never allow children in my yard with my dogs unsupervised when I am not at home.

Although you know them & the dog does too what if they bought a friend in or did something stupid & your dog reacted ?

Your dog would get blamed no matter what the circumstances so for the dogs sake I would stop this.

Parents hardly ever take responsibility & you may never know the truth if anything happened it is always the dogs fault. Sad but that's how it is now.

Folks don't come in the yard anymore, not for about 6 years and we now have the gates locked after the pigging type breeds started going missing from the yards.

One little girl use to say weeo knocked me over and licked me all over :laugh:

Edited by LeoBullTerrier

and what I'd love is for people to be able to walk up to hime without him going crazy and jumping all over them

Easy fix. Don't let him.

I have an annoying dog. He would love to jump all over and harass other dogs. He is bouncey and a pain in the butt playful. I've tried to stop it for years and he has toned it down a bit but his behaviour was rude to other dogs so I don't let him.

Simple as that.

It really isn't an issue, if your dog has no manners when meeting other dogs then hold him back and don't let him jump on them.

Edited by cannibalgoldfish

IMO desexing wont fix the problem it's more a training issue.

HMD - just curious re your statement that many of your undesexed rescues have had health issues. Do you perhaps feel that this may be related to their previous living conditions? Nutrition, stress, etc. Why I ask is I've been involved in the show world for over 50yrs, know a lot of breeders/owners and I've never had either of the problems (never had a dog desexed) and find it's pretty rare in the show world.

Have you any thoughts on this?

With all due respect I think rescue would see many more dogs come through our homes than a breeder, I have had over 1,000 come through my place in just 14 years and have had many with breast cancer and some suffering from Pymetra and have had at least 5 males with testicular cancer as well.

Not a lot but enough to warrant people desexing their dogs, unless a registered breeder in your case.

Maree

CPR

Edited by keetamouse

IMO desexing wont fix the problem it's more a training issue.

HMD - just curious re your statement that many of your undesexed rescues have had health issues. Do you perhaps feel that this may be related to their previous living conditions? Nutrition, stress, etc. Why I ask is I've been involved in the show world for over 50yrs, know a lot of breeders/owners and I've never had either of the problems (never had a dog desexed) and find it's pretty rare in the show world.

Have you any thoughts on this?

With all due respect I think rescue would see many more dogs come through our homes than a breeder, I have had over 1,000 come through my place in just 14 years and have had many with breast cancer and some suffering from Pymetra and have had at least 5 males with testicular cancer as well.

Not a lot but enough to warrant people desexing their dogs, unless a registered breeder in your case.

Maree

CPR

I have seen the rates of problems in Scandinavian countries where desexing is not done routinely. The disease rate caused by hormones/in reproductive organs was much higher than what I have experienced here. I can't even remember the number of Pyos they had in just a few weeks!

There is certainly value in desexing although I do agree that the motivation should be examined. I tried to write a balanced article on this topic Desexing .

I can't see desexing helping with behaviour in this case! I will say that I have had some very 'full on friendly' dogs and have managed to get the behaviour under control with less than 10 minutes of actual training a day. It did mean that I had to put in some management techniques so the behaviour couldn't be practiced and that I needed to set my expectations/criteria pretty low to begin with :laugh: but it was certainly worth the effort to have the complements when it all goes right. You might have more luck looking for a good trainer online who is used to friendly exuberance rather than getting advice from Barkbusters who probably don't deal with this specific problem too often.