Foods To Help Put On Weight

Shakti

My gorgeous Newfie had an operation for a blocked intestine three months ago and is taking longer than I would like to regain the weight he lost pre- and post-surgery. He should weigh at least 5 kgs more than he does now according to the vet. I try to keep him lean and fit but at the moment I can feel every rib. He is exuberant, playful and seems in every other way back to his old self. At the moment I am feeding him a BARF diet. Any suggestions please?

Lamb flaps would probably be a good addition to the BARF. Look up "satin balls" on google - these are pretty rapid weight gain though, so I would recommend the lamb flaps or moderating the stain balls for a slower but steady weight gain.

Thank you all so much - off to buy lamb flaps and ingredients for satin balls - DOL always come through!!

Cool, just go slow as weight can really catch up quickly.

Lamb flaps are also extremely yummy, so factor in that you might create an addiction :laugh: Having said that there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to continue with lamb flaps into the future when weight is ideal, You just need to play around with volumes of the rest of standard meals and the leanness of the meats..

Another thing to think about is buying cheap mince to make up your own BARF as it has more fat. If you have a chat with your butcher you can often buy the meat they use for the mince, pre minced which I prefer.

It wouldn't worry me after 3 months ,regaining lost weight on a giant breed is different to many others ,i wouldn't be in any rush to go crazy adding things ,look at what your feeding & the quantity ,5 kg is very little after such surgery that really affects dogs

If you're going to introduce the lamb flaps, make sure you do so slowly. Give your pooch only a small amount at a time and increase a little every day otherwise you're going to end up doing more harm than good….your dog will have a severe case of the runs.

If you're going to introduce the lamb flaps, make sure you do so slowly. Give your pooch only a small amount at a time and increase a little every day otherwise you're going to end up doing more harm than good….your dog will have a severe case of the runs.

Lamb flaps are predominately bones, some meat and fat. The bones should negate the runs, Also the dog is fed on BARF so I don't see this as being a problem at all :)

My gorgeous Newfie had an operation for a blocked intestine three months ago and is taking longer than I would like to regain the weight he lost pre- and post-surgery. He should weigh at least 5 kgs more than he does now according to the vet. I try to keep him lean and fit but at the moment I can feel every rib. He is exuberant, playful and seems in every other way back to his old self. At the moment I am feeding him a BARF diet. Any suggestions please?

BARF is actually good as you know.

How many times a day are you feeding your boy?

What is his age & current weight?

:)

Satin balls, to have effect for a giant breed, need lots feed - risking other issues due to the high fat levels etc being consumed.

I used porridge when weight gain was needed. Made it with water in the microwave and then cooled it down and made it slushy with rice milk. My dog loved it - to the point that I can't eat porridge these days without an expectant face looking at me.