Desexing Young Pups

Perfume

I've always agreed in desexing pups at 8 weeks to diminish the overpopulation of dogs needing homes and also to prevent them ending up in the dirty hands of puppy farmers. Lately, quite by coincidence, I have come to the realisation that although it is a good idea for those reasons already mentioned, it may not be such a great idea for the health of the pup. Not all vets advocate early desexing due to ongoing health issues as a direct result of this. What are you thoughts?

Plenty of research out now stating the negatives of early desexing. If people are so convinced that their pups need to be desexed at 8 weeks for reproductive reasons they should be looking at Tubal Ligation and Vasectomy instead.

I would never buy a dog desexed that young.

Plenty of research out now stating the negatives of early desexing. If people are so convinced that their pups need to be desexed at 8 weeks for reproductive reasons they should be looking at Tubal Ligation and Vasectomy instead.

Ditto.

I wouldn't eirher but I understand the reasons for doing so. Just look at all the 'such and such pound is full' threads. People are idiots and anyone with a nice looking dog sees $$ signs - without understanding how much work good breeders put into their pups. (My sis breeds Westies and my heart breaks for her).

It's because any gump can buy a dog and breed it.

It's because pet stores still sell puppies for Christmas.

It's because everyone thinks everyone else will love their dog as much as they do -- so give 'em a pup!

GAH.

People.

I wouldn't eirher but I understand the reasons for doing so. Just look at all the 'such and such pound is full' threads. People are idiots and anyone with a nice looking dog sees $$ signs - without understanding how much work good breeders put into their pups. (My sis breeds Westies and my heart breaks for her).

It's because any gump can buy a dog and breed it.

It's because pet stores still sell puppies for Christmas.

It's because everyone thinks everyone else will love their dog as much as they do -- so give 'em a pup!

GAH.

People.

I agree 100% Stressmagnet, there are more dogs than there are homes available for them, it's such an unfortunate reality BUT if there's a better method of ensuring your pup does not end up in the hands of unscrupulous puppy farmers….I'm all for it.

100% agree!

If you are a responsible pet owner there is no reason to worry about contributing to dogs in pounds simply because you keep your dog entire. Unwanted litters are created by irresponsible dog owners, not people who responsibly manage their dogs. If someone is irresponsible enough to let their intact dog roam or breed indiscriminately they aren't responsible owners IMO and wouldn't be even if their dog was desexed.

For every argument/supportive documentation or reserach FOR early desexing there is equally one opposing it.

Personally, I don't support it for the long term health and well being of the dog. I can see why some breeders do it and also the shelters. However, if given a preference, I would not buy an early desexed dog.

Some breeders in my breed do it and claim they never have had any issues. However I know of examples where there have been. Whether it has come down to the early desexing or just bad luck for that animal, I don't know.

I have no interest in owning an entire dog or in breeding and have always had my pets desexed at around 6 months. I can understand why breeders have that caveat, but I would not buy a dog that was desexed as a puppy myself.

It has been discussed plenty of times before like many other issues. :o)

It is one of those topics that appears quite regularly. Especially as more breeders are desexing their dogs early before they go. So naturally as new people come into this forum, the same question will be asked.

I personally do not recommend my dogs to be desexed until at least 12 months. Six months is still juvenile and they are still not fully developed. While some males may be sexually mature at 6 months, many do not fully become sexually mature until about 9-12 months of age. Most of my bitches have not had their first season until about 11-12 months, although I would not use that as gospil over all breeds and bitches as I have known quite a few others to have come into season about 6 months.

I would not buy a pup desexed as a juvenile. I would buy a pup that had had a vasectomy or Tubal ligation.

I won't desex mine until they are over 14 months of age. My boys won't be desexed uinless medically necessary, my bitches are done at 14 months if not for breeding/showing or at around 5 to 6 years of age or if I do not want them to have a litter due to medical issue or age.

I do believe early desexing is detrimental to a dogs health and growth.

Most people on this forum are responsible owners but I have worked in rescue where people have had a voucher to have pets desexed when they are older and just don't do it. Many meant to but.....................

Unfortunately a large portion of the population just can't be trusted.

I certainly don't have a problem with Tubal Ligation and Vasectomy as long as the cost doesn't make it prohibitive for the general population.