Clipped Japanese Spitz

I have a 7 year old Japanese spitz that I just picked up from a groomer at a chain pet store, and they have completely clipped him! His coat is now only about an inch long all over, and I am really worried that it will not grow back properly now! The store said they had groomed other spitz's so I thought it would be fine, but clearly they have no idea what they are doing, and I am freaking out that his coat will not recover to what it was. I know there's not really anything I can do, but I guess I'm just after some reassurance that I haven't permanently harmed him?

Oh good lord, this is my greatest nightmare and exactly why I won't send my Samoyeds to anyone else.

Hard to say if they have done permanent damage, some coats grow back just fine and others don't (some groomers will tell you differently but I've seen it myself and I know this is true), you'll just have to wait and see.

What I do suggest is that you keep him out of the summer sun until the coat grows back as his skin will be very sensitive now it's exposed and will burn if you're not careful.

Edited by Bjelkier

geez, I hope you didn't pay for it.

I've clipped a couple of spitzes but they had either been done before or there was a good reason.

Either way I made sure I was 100% on what the customer wanted before I let them leave

I definitely gave them a piece of my mind and let them know if would never be returning to their store! The worst thing is I always take really good care of his coat, but the mother in law is coming to stay for a few weeks so we wanted him to be extra fluffy when she gets here tonight so decided to get him groomed, but our regular groomer (independent, home based) was booked solid for 3 weeks.

I'm just kicking myself that I didn't take more time to talk to the new groomer, as our regular always does a good job and the store assured me they had a few regulars with spitz's. I just really hope his coat grows back out properly!

oMG ,I can imagine how you feel.I was annoyed when a new groomer clipped around Lulus face.I do think it will grow back but will take some time..similar thing happened to my Keeshond years ago.It did grow back but it took about a year ,she was an older dog at the time ,so coat was probably slower growing.I know how you'll be feeling but I bet he still looks really cute!! :)

Daily brushing may help to stimulate regrowth, but it won't happen overnight. Given his age, regrowth may well be slow. Lots of antioxidants in the diet can't hurt either.

I guess you won';t be recommending that particular chain to anyone! icon_smile_mad.gif

I brush him twice a week usually, so will make sure I keep on top of it so the under coat doesn't get too overgrown. I have been doing some reading and others have recommended hormones to help stimulate the coats growth, so I might have a chat to my vet and see if that's an option.

Any recommendations as to what foods to give him that contain lots of antioxidants? He already likes fish and we feed him fish based foods a couple of times a week already, but he is allergic to chicken.

I wouldn't be putting a dog on hormones simply for coat growth. Instead try supplements like Royal jelly shampoo and tablets, Canine Show Stopper and there is a horse product, a shampoo that people swear by but I can't for the life of me remember the name right now.

Definitely brush- stimulates growth and removes undercoat- which seems to be the main issue when the coats don't grow back.

Also agree with the royal jelly or show stopper. Fish oils and coconut oil if you don't feed them already help coats.Eta: if it's an inch long all over it should been more fine- it hasn't been shaved right to the skin? That seems to be when most issues with double coated breeds happen.

Edited by denali

Thanks, I'll pick up some fish oil and have a look for the shampoo.

Yes he is about an inch, maybe a bit less, all over, not right to the skin thank god! Hopefully it has saved him from any major issues, but only time will tell I guess, just have to keep my fingers crossed and keep the brushing regular!

OMG !!! That is shocking. I would of cried like a baby if a so called groomer did that to either of mine. What morons.

I hope his coat grows back ok. I agree with other brush to stimulate lots & highly recommend Megaderm given daily will assist in healthy coat regrowth. And yes keep pooch out of the sun.

This is why I just don't trust anyone else to groom my dogs.

I would have been weeping!

My dad dropped off my schnauzer for a clip and the regular groomer had left. When I picked him up no moustache or beard. I was furious and that's only the face!

I would brush super regularly, feed more oils and leave nasty reviews everywhere possible.

What a lazy useless 'groomer' - why didn't they check and talk you through what they were about to do?!

OMG! that's terrible, I would have been furious :eek:

All I can add to what others have already said is to try "Groomers Royal Jelly" shampoo (might be the one Bjelkier was suggesting?) . Many show people with double-coated breeds rave about this stuff for growing coats, especially for after major coat-blows like after whelping. I have just started using it on my rough collie (not that he needs any more coat) and I do love it.

Its available on-line or from most show-dog venders at dog shows. Google 'Groomers products'

I wouldn't be putting a dog on hormones simply for coat growth. Instead try supplements like Royal jelly shampoo and tablets, Canine Show Stopper and there is a horse product, a shampoo that people swear by but I can't for the life of me remember the name right now.

Mane and Tail?

I am a groomer & can i say the worse issue we have is what people ask for ,there idea of terminology & what a groomers is can end in tears .

We always question what is asked even though many get annoyed that you do ask .

I can't tell you how many have asked this week for a short back & sides or nice a short for summer .

To a groomer that means all off,some will ask if thats what they mean others will do what the clients ask for .

I can also tell hubby will often say the opposite to wife & grandparents generally say exactly what the owners don't want so we have had to ring to confirm what they want or grandparents come with a knot that often in a groomers worl means off .

There is no wonder product to make coats grow ,that comes down to good coat maintenance & brushing out ,

A coat blowing is very different to clipping off a coat as the dead coat is what has blown ,clipping is about taking the good coat off.

Reality patience is what you need ,hormaones don't make coat grow ,hormones can affect a coat quality but thats a medical issue

I have coated breeds & good diet,weekly coat work plays the biggest factor .

• Like 1

Yes people have a weird way of describing what they want sometimes. Just last week I had someone with a kelpie ask for a "bath and clip". When I said kelpies don't need clipping, he got all confused and it turned out he meant a nail trim! I ALWAYS check and double check what owners want me to do with their dog!

Yeah I can't say it was just a miscommunication, I was very clear that I just wanted the long hairs around his paws and the back of his legs tidied up, and just a regular wash blow and brush. When I booked him in the lady on the phone said they had a full clip or a brush prob, and I clearly said no to the clip. They had my and my wife's mobile numbers, and could have easily called to check if they were unsure. And any groomer with an ounce of sense should know you don't clip double coated dogs.

He looks so strange now, doesn't look like the same dog any more :(

. And any groomer with an ounce of sense should know you don't clip double coated dogs.

He looks so strange now, doesn't look like the same dog any more :(

Not true at all whilst Groomers will advice not to plenty are & will be double coat or not it does not affect the dog especially in Australia & in a perfect world all Spitzs would come in with perfect coats but most don't & no decent groomer will torture a dog to dematt it .It would be wonderful n the perfect world but reality it isn't & the percentage of well groomed dogs is getting worse each year sadly .

Communicating with some owners isn't that easy either you would be surprised what people read & take as gospel or it should be done this way when a good groomer knows the coat texture will not work that way or clipping with those baldes is not suitable for the coat ,We get people who bring in grooming comp photo's & explaining to them that most advanced classes the dogs have product in to get that effect is hard ,even with our own breed Mon -Fri there pets weekend there chalked & sprayed up & look like a different dog.

We had one lady insist her dog was to be clipped with a #40 all over as she had researched the blades obviously it wasn't going to happen & after her extreme rudeness & total disrespect for our knowledge v hers she was proven to be wrong & had to eat her words .WE wouldn't do it but chances are someone would & she would be the kind of person to sue you .

Being a groomer is a hard life & we see some shockers & our breed is one of the worse for very bad hair cuts & groomers coming up with creative names ,the number of people who come in tears because they wanted to go closer to home & got a crappy groom is mind blowing & in this day & age there is no excuse to not research your breeds for the day or learn more .

Although some grooming schools teach bad things so not surprised .

This time of the year is often the worse as peoiple are desperate to get there dogs done so the fly by nights come out :dropjaw: & earn a fast buck .

The tafe course at one stage was purely clip offs & thats all the students learnt to do the one blade all over look ,fast & quick out the door

That's a fair point, and I don't mean to assume that I am an expert in dog grooming, and I would understand if his coat was matted and needed to be shaved, but that wasn't the case at all. I am always very diligent with brushing, and he had already been brushed thoroughly twice this week, there was not even one single knot to be found, so the groomer had no reason to take it upon herself to clip him. I apologise if it was offensive to say that it should be common sense to not clip a double coated dog, but surely it is safe to assume that a groomer should know better than to clip a properly cared for and well maintained double coat dog without first checking with the owner.