Clipped Japanese Spitz

That's a fair point, and I don't mean to assume that I am an expert in dog grooming, and I would understand if his coat was matted and needed to be shaved, but that wasn't the case at all. I am always very diligent with brushing, and he had already been brushed thoroughly twice this week, there was not even one single knot to be found, so the groomer had no reason to take it upon herself to clip him. I apologise if it was offensive to say that it should be common sense to not clip a double coated dog, but surely it is safe to assume that a groomer should know better than to clip a properly cared for and well maintained double coat dog without first checking with the owner.

I would have checked the coat whilst you were still there to see if it was matted.

I strongly objected to clipping dogs with double coats.

, but surely it is safe to assume that a groomer should know better than to clip a properly cared for and well maintained double coat dog without first checking with the owner.

Never assume ,i don't assume that any professional i see is knowledgable .I value the good ones but like anything plenty of shonks out there .

We check all coats because alot of people can't grasp the concept of knots or there idea of a little knot is like shearing a sheep off.All coats are checked only takes 5 secs & it doesn't matter what breed

Yes yes and yes showdog. Groomers are not created equal and some just don't care. A long established salon in the next town over sends lots of dogs to us... because the owners get sick of picking up their dogs with nicked skin. But owners often believe the coat is in great shape until our lovely lady shows them with a comb what a mess is underneath (not referring to your Clipped Spitz :-)). So many unrealistic expectations, books and photos coming with the dog whose structure and coat will never support what the owner wants.

Thank goodness there are so many wonderful clients!

Sags

Not true at all whilst Groomers will advice not to plenty are & will be double coat or not it does not affect the dog especially in Australia & in a perfect world all Spitzs would come in with perfect coats but most don't & no decent groomer will torture a dog to dematt it .It would be wonderful n the perfect world but reality it isn't & the percentage of well groomed dogs is getting worse each year sadly .

Communicating with some owners isn't that easy either you would be surprised what people read & take as gospel or it should be done this way when a good groomer knows the coat texture will not work that way or clipping with those baldes is not suitable for the coat ,We get people who bring in grooming comp photo's & explaining to them that most advanced classes the dogs have product in to get that effect is hard ,even with our own breed Mon -Fri there pets weekend there chalked & sprayed up & look like a different dog.

We had one lady insist her dog was to be clipped with a #40 all over as she had researched the blades obviously it wasn't going to happen & after her extreme rudeness & total disrespect for our knowledge v hers she was proven to be wrong & had to eat her words .WE wouldn't do it but chances are someone would & she would be the kind of person to sue you .

Being a groomer is a hard life & we see some shockers & our breed is one of the worse for very bad hair cuts & groomers coming up with creative names ,the number of people who come in tears because they wanted to go closer to home & got a crappy groom is mind blowing & in this day & age there is no excuse to not research your breeds for the day or learn more .

Although some grooming schools teach bad things so not surprised .

This time of the year is often the worse as peoiple are desperate to get there dogs done so the fly by nights come out :dropjaw: & earn a fast buck .

The tafe course at one stage was purely clip offs & thats all the students learnt to do the one blade all over look ,fast & quick out the door

• 4 years later...