Goodbye Robo

BlaznHotAussies

Thanks guys smile.gif the kind words are really lovely, so miss him. I saw his sister yesterday and golly she looks so similar it was a bit of a jolt frown.gif

leopuppy I think they're the lists I've been poring over. I haven't found any other drug (yet) that is absolutely completely definitely safe for treating mange (because that's how this all started icon_smile_mad.gif ).

We gave him Revolution and didn't realise selamectin was the active ingredient & was on the dangerous list frown.gif even moxidectin (Advocate) isn't safe & I think (off the top of my head from the limited so far research I've done) they're the main two that treat mange. icon_smile_mad.gif

Scootaloo my heartfelt sympathy to you in losing your little Man.. How heartbreaking for you; and I know what a shock it is to lose a young gorgeous dog... Words aren't enough really to express the loss when they are still so young

RIP sweet little Robo.. and maybe you have buddied up with a little Golden named Lace.. :angel:

Edited by Seren

Thanks guys smile.gif the kind words are really lovely, so miss him. I saw his sister yesterday and golly she looks so similar it was a bit of a jolt frown.gif

leopuppy I think they're the lists I've been poring over. I haven't found any other drug (yet) that is absolutely completely definitely safe for treating mange (because that's how this all started icon_smile_mad.gif ).

We gave him Revolution and didn't realise selamectin was the active ingredient & was on the dangerous list frown.gif even moxidectin (Advocate) isn't safe & I think (off the top of my head from the limited so far research I've done) they're the main two that treat mange. icon_smile_mad.gif

Yep you are correct - most of the medicinal treatments for mange include a 'mectin' or ivermectin based product because it treats mange so successfully. With Collie-type breeds you usually have to go for a 'natural' remedy or other treatments (hard to find!). What is so frustrating is that most of the vets I have spoken to or discussed this with are not aware or they think it is not a problem and the dogs 'should be fine' and prescribe it anyway - I have had a few vets tell me this! Luckily the word is getting out the MDR1 sensitivity is a real issue and they are becoming more aware of it now.

http://happydognaturals.com/sarcoptic-mange/

Edited by leopuppy04

Oh I've only just been pointed in the direction of this thread. I don't always look at Rainbow Brodge as its so sad but I wanted to offer my condolences Scootaloo. What a sad loss, thinking of you and your family :grouphug:

I used Revolution on Quinn and Riley (Sheltie) before I knew much about MDR1 and have used it when I've spotted a flea or two since then, thinking it would be fine but you've cemented in my mind that I must do the sensitivity test ASAP, before they get any further treatments.

Hopefully it's some small comfort that Robo's loss may save someone else by prompting us all to be extra diligent.

Run free beautiful boy :rainbowbridge:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Simply Grand, I do hope that warning others to be very careful will help. Definitely get the tests done, another of his litter has been tested and came back as affected - so that's two of his litter, I think it's fair to say Robo would have been affected also (not just carrier).

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Sentinel is useful on mange frown.gif we don't have heartworm around here so don't treat dogs for it.

Vets don't have a clue unfortunately. The vet we took him to the first time he had 4 seizures in a day refused to entertain the idea that it could be Revolution because it had been 5 days between his latest dose of Revolution & a seizure, then another 10 days before aforementioned 4 seizures & vet visit. Apparently that meant it couldn't have been the revolution because it would supposedly be out of his system. Newsflash, it DOESN'T leave their system. That's the exact problem frown.gifbanghead.gif

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Sentinel is useful on mange frown.gif we don't have heartworm around here so don't treat dogs for it.

Vets don't have a clue unfortunately. The vet we took him to the first time he had 4 seizures in a day refused to entertain the idea that it could be Revolution because it had been 5 days between his latest dose of Revolution & a seizure, then another 10 days before aforementioned 4 seizures & vet visit. Apparently that meant it couldn't have been the revolution because it would supposedly be out of his system. Newsflash, it DOESN'T leave their system. That's the exact problem frown.gifbanghead.gif

:mad :mad :mad