52/2015

gapvic

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely adore your star shot Teekay!! How do you do it? I've looked at tutorials and had rather quick attempts, I get stars, but nothing like that! I suspect I don't use a long enough shutter...

Lovely early morning shot, Shewolf

Beautiful horse Ozstar! :)

Thats a cool looking shot Ranga!

Thanks MDD, that shot was taken at F2.8, 24mm, ISO 3200, 25 seconds

From what I have gathered from my Googling, you basically want the largest aperture you have with the widest angle lens and high ISO 3200 or even 6200, the ISO will depend on how high you can get away with on your camera before the the shot gets too noisy.

the longest shutter speed you can get away with before you start to get star trails is generally worked out as 600 divided by the focal length, so in my case it was 600/24=25

They do ned a fair amount of post processing though, to really bring out the stars

Oh and to have the best chance of capturing something great you really need to be away from any light pollution. There was definitely too much light in my shot so I want to go inland and into the mountains next time. And make sure the moon is either very small or not out at all. :)

I can't wait to have another go. I didn't realise when I took that shot that I wasn't pointing at the 'core' of the milky way so I really want to try and capture that. If only the bloody rain would stop :laugh:

A fantastic app I downloaded on my iPad is called Star Walk, it's absolutely brilliant for tracking what the night sky will look like on any given day. Great for planning. The weather? Not so much :laugh:

Thank you so much for that explanation! I don't have a wide angle lens (next on the list to get!) but I might give it another go with what I've got :) I live rural on 30 acres, and we get the most incredible view of the stars here, so light pollution is no problem at all :thumbsup:

Last august i did a road trip to central Aus. We were mostly staying at free campsites, sometimes we were alone which was just crazy... could have been the only people for 100's of kms!! But the view of the stars out there was just magical, wish I'd known how to capture it on camera!

So I only just realised that I haven't done week 14 yet :o I've been so busy and preoccupied lately that I just didn't realise I hadn't posted a pic yet!

Just a iphone photo from me this time (sorry guys!)

11134348_983631748322933_441129210_n_zpstiozbzv0.jpg

Edited by maddogdodge

Love the shot of Koda MDD. Yes I may be a bit biased, Aussies make such wonderful models :D

Fantastic moon series Ozstar. I haven't attempted any moon shots after my first and only try went pretty badly. Admittedly I didn't even own a tripod then and had my camera balanced on my BBQ :laugh:

Love the depth of field in the cat photo MDD. :thumbsup:

My son and I were out exploring the rock pools yesterday so this was taken then, as the sun was going down

15/52

16900430850_7475b4da5f_b.jpgIMG_0061.jpg by teejkay1, on Flickr

Lots of very pretty landscapes and nature shots for week 15 :)

Lovely photos of the moon, Ozstar!

Here's our weekly Jess :) 15/52

16929327588_3f3def4bc8_z.jpg

We placed 1st in open agility today :D So here's Jess wearing her sash as a hat :p

I'm getting in early for this week!

16/52

My newest family member, Kito! I've been missing having a big boy ferret around after I lost Fred, so I took my two girl ferrets up to the local ferret rescue to see who's available. Well I completely fell in love with this little guy! He's only 4 and a half months old, he was born in foster care after his mum was handed in pregnant. He's just the most gorgeous little guy, so full of energy, incredibly playful but also, oh so sweet! He looves people, follows me around beggig for attention :love:

He's big too, already much bigger than my two girls, so he's gonna be huge when fully grown! :)

I wish the focus in this photo was more on his eyes, but this will do, he's so fast its hard to get the focus right!

IMG_7228_zpsadiefbbo.jpg

And a couple more because I'm totally smitten with him and want to show him off :o:crazy: Sorry guys!!

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-12%20at%204.12.08%20pm_zpspwqavpak.png

He likes to steal my socks off my feet!

Screen%20Shot%202015-04-12%20at%204.12.34%20pm_zpsgzizf4ip.png

Edited by maddogdodge

Welcome Kito, who knew there was a ferret rescue? I hope he settles in well with the rest of the ferret pack, looks like he is making himself right at home.

I chuckled a little at the focus thing. I have so many photos of the dogs where their nose is so perfectly sharp. :D Including this weeks photo (I found out after taking a bunch that the AF point wasn't set in the centre *Forehead slap :laugh: I let this one through though becasue I liked it overall but lesson learnt. Check the AF point.

16/52

16918847968_ab4c3f6268_c.jpgIMG_0085.jpg by teejkay1, on Flickr

I'm getting in early for this week!

16/52

My newest family member, Kito! I've been missing having a big boy ferret around after I lost Fred, so I took my two girl ferrets up to the local ferret rescue to see who's available. Well I completely fell in love with this little guy! He's only 4 and a half months old, he was born in foster care after his mum was handed in pregnant. He's just the most gorgeous little guy, so full of energy, incredibly playful but also, oh so sweet! He looves people, follows me around beggig for attention :love:

He's big too, already much bigger than my two girls, so he's gonna be huge when fully grown! :)

I wish the focus in this photo was more on his eyes, but this will do, he's so fast its hard to get the focus right!

IMG_7228_zpsadiefbbo.jpg

Was he from Unwanted Fuzz?