Separation Anxiety

JulesP

Funnily enough, none of them, even Riley Sheltie bark or make a fuss when I leave. I often do feed them their meal as I'm about to leave or give them something to do to keep them occupied but they're fine if I don't leave them with anything. It's when I come home that I was having problems. Riley would start as soon as he heard the car pull up then Quinn would join in until I got inside. Hence the bark collars.

Jules, I totally sympathise with the stress factor! Since my neighbours complained I'm so alert to every noise the dogs make, day or night and I'm always ready to jump up and shush them or rush them inside and shut the door. I'm still assuming they are quiet or mostly quiet when I'm not home as I specifically asked the complaining neighbours to let me know if they were bothered any other times and they haven't but I still dread coming home to a note every day.

I am starting to relax a bit now, but then I'm moving on Monday. We'll be staying with my mum and step dad for a while and that will be a whole new kettle of stress as I don't know what they might complain about with the dogs (they are not dog people) :(

I get quite stressed. Not just about preventing barking, but I'm that person that double checks the oven is off, the doors are locked. Check the dog has her breakfast, water, gate is shut properly, side gates still have their locks.

I don't enjoy myself if OH and I are both out past about 9pm, I end up coming home, giving the dog something to chew on inside, and then returning to whatever event we were at.

My stress was definitely increased by a council complaint when she was 4 months old. Karma came around though, as a couple of weeks later a yapper moved in up the road...at least our dog gives about 3 barks at something, then goes back to chilling out.

Nova has never barked upon leaving or coming home, and I've asked my neighbours and he doesn't bark when I'm not there. Neighbours had tradies in their yard, half hanging over my fence hanging up blinds a few weeks ago. I only realised when I came home for lunch. I put Nova inside just incase for the rest of the afternoon and caught the tradie as I was leaving, I asked if Nova was barking at all. He said he hadn't heard a peep and didn't even realise I had a dog! Remember this guy was hanging over our back fence eek1.gif

He will however bark during training or games. Our other neighbours have a young under preschool aged child so I make sure I get training in, in times that aren't around nap time, unfortunately for summer it means no training in the back yard when it's nice and cool after 7pm.

He will however bark during training or games. Our other neighbours have a young under preschool aged child so I make sure I get training in, in times that aren't around nap time, unfortunately for summer it means no training in the back yard when it's nice and cool after 7pm.

I realise this should be the standard, but still it's very thoughtful of you.

I think (hope) any polite person would do the same, especially if they've had shit neighbours in the past.

I think (hope) any polite person would do the same, especially if they've had shit neighbours in the past.

I don't have any friends with children, and our neighbours don't have kids either, so I'm not really up to date on appropriate times... So while I hope I'd be considerate, it's not something I could 100% say I would have succeeded at.

I always make sure any squeaky toys are removed from the yard before 8pm so that when we go out for the last wee of the night we don't get a squeaky Symphony. If we get any neighbours with young children though I'll be mindful of naps and earlier bed times!

I don't have any friends with children, and our neighbours don't have kids either, so I'm not really up to date on appropriate times... So while I hope I'd be considerate, it's not something I could 100% say I would have succeeded at.

I always make sure any squeaky toys are removed from the yard before 8pm so that when we go out for the last wee of the night we don't get a squeaky Symphony. If we get any neighbours with young children though I'll be mindful of naps and earlier bed times!

Oh yea I had no idea either laugh.gif but asked my mum who is a preschool teacher and then when I started to know the neighbours a bit better I asked the neighbours straight up because he was getting worse with the barking during play.

I know how cranky I get when the other neighbour leaves it's dog outside at night when a storm has been forecasts for a long time even though it starts to freak out at 4am. I know they bring it inside at other times!!

And I'm not a parent of young children, I just love my sleep laugh.gif

If I had a dog that barked during the day or night I wouldn't hesitate to try various barking collars if more exercise and mental stimulation didn't work.